Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Frequent Flyer Advice?

Hi

I have about 70K frequent flyer miles on Nortwest ... I tried to use my frequent flyer miles for a free trip to BBK from Seattle. The required amount "with restrictions" is 60K miles.

When I try to find a ticket.... the minimum milleage I can find is double that or 120K miles. I called NWA and they said the same thing. It seems they only offer just a few at the 60K price. The operator said she never knows when they become available and just pop up from time to time. As soon as they become available, they get taken.

What a rip off! Since they offer so few at the lesser mileage, this is like a bait and switch tactic.... I dont want to use Double my miles! How can I get a future flight... Is there any trick I can use?

So.. how do you guys do it? Just pay double frequent flyer miles?

Its a never ending circle.... Once you earn miles (or elite status) then want to use them, it is difficult or impossible to use them at a base rate. I fly them a lot, and also have substantial miles, but using them is another matter.

Some suggestions (that I'm sure you know)

- Leadtime - if you book when the seats are released (approx 11 mo. in advance) you have the best chance. If you can plan that far in advance you have a good chance. A quick search on nwa.com for Mar 07 had several 60K packages available (though the majority were 90K or 120K).

- Earn elite status (easier said than done), but they have more seats for the elite FF members.

- have VERY flexible dates. The ability to fly early in the week(Mon-Wed) will help your chances.

- As others mentioned (and you tried) - call a NW agent. If you dont get good results, try again in 4-8 hrs. You might just get a more helpful agent.

- As a last resort, if you can't get the ones you want, book dates close and keep calling back for a change. It will cost you $50 (unless you are platinum elite), but I have heard that this method has worked.

I have been a longtime NW FF (sometimes elite), but the recent clampdown on the BKK route has really irritated me.

-They are no longer price competitive (I didn't mind paying an extra $100 to get my miles/status, but the current $500 premium over other alternatives is another matter)

-award seats are non existant in Bus. class to BKK and standard seats require a lot of advance planning.

- most/all NW Asia promotions now exclude the BKK route. They know that their planes will be full (NRT-BKK moved from a 747 to a A330 2 years ago, eliminating 100+ seats), so no incentives are given.

- And as always, the 6:00 am BKK departure just sucks big time!

Bottom line vote with your wallet. If NW doesn't offer better fares (relative to the rest of the industry) to BKK then they have lost my business.

Zeus

They are total scum.

I have the same problem with my 130K FF miles and trying to get a biz class ticket. Only suggestion I can offer is to find the maximum days in advance to reserve - I think it is 270 but you should check - and call that day (270 days in advance). If they tell you the FF flight is not available that day, I think it may be a good reason to complain loudly. I plan to do the same.

NWA is a nightmare of an airline, especially trans-pacific and I have seen things you could only call surreal relative to customer service in only 4-5 flights with them.

My personal favorite is one flight that I decided not to drink on or before to reduce the effects of jet lag. 10 hours in, I couldn't sleep and was watching a movie and felt like a bit of whiskey. Upon going to the galley (forget rounds by the FAs or the call button with these stiffs), I find all the FAs either sitting on milk crates or lounging about in the galley (on their shift).

Upon asking for a drink, an obviously gay male FA tells me unsolicited "You know, that is NOT the way to fall asleep." with nods and murmors all around by the other loafing FAs. In other words, he was stating "why isn't the silly cattle person asleep?"

One or two then go on to relate drunken misadventures by passengers while they leisurely go about finding my drink, as if I am not even there - I was a non-entity in their minds. All quite unnecesary, as I am not only 6' 1" and all of 230 lbs, but was sober as a judge.

After I returned to my seat, I grew a bit miffed as time went on, as you may understand. Just out of spite, I returned to the galley and asked for a double, to which I was greeted by my light-in-the-loafers FA buddy with "I'll give you a SINGLE".

Compare this to Cathay Pacific, when on one flight from the US with a very good college friend that I had not seen in a long while to Hong Kong, where we reminisced and managed around 13 double screwdrivers. When they ran out in economy, they apologized and got the bottle from business.

Sorry for those in unions, but the NWA experience demonstrates everything bad involved with a union, IMO. A juicy trans-atlantic flight goes to those most senior FAs which are totally jaded, intolerably secure in their job, and REALLY know how to treat a client like a piece of baggage and even worse.

Hub

Im not a NW FF and never will be but have you considered USA to Singapore or KL just to see if 60k buys there.

Just sent my request today for my free upgrade on TG in July but am now thinking of using it at xmas instead and cashing some miles in now as I have 30k points expiring in Nov/Dec.

Does anybody know if you book for Dec/Jan on TG can you cash your expiring points in before you travel

Floyd,

you must use the ff points before the end of the year they expire. If you make the booking before the end of the year then you can book in advance for the following year. Does that help you?

Thanks Longy.

I rang Thai in Auckland today and I can save my free return upgrade until next trip (has a 2 year life) and since my birthday is in June i can get a upgrade at half points if i take a flight one month either side of my birthday.

Auckland-bkk-manila is normally 135k points to upgrade but for thai gold FF it will only cost me 62500 points if i take a trip between 27 may-27 july. and i think its awesome as i have 30k points expiring this november.

I will get it organised tomorrow. lets see if TG is easier to do business with than NW. Will let you guys know.

I had the same problem with my FF miles until someone on this board suggested I log onto Flyertalk.com for adviice. I did. They told me to call the FF # on the back of my card, but then ask to be connected to the "international Partners" desk. It seems most individual airlines do not have access to all the parnter awards information. The IPD does. It also depends a great deal upon the agent you're speaking too. Finding connecting flights, etc..takes some skill and patience. I have spoken to 2 who said it couldn't be done, but a third agent was able to put it togehter for me. Got nothing to lose...give 'em a call. And like everyone else said, it's crucial to be flexible with as much advance notice as possible. Good luck.

I'm a member of China Airlines FF programe I fly from SF to Bangkok. I joined in Nov 04. Thiis will be my fifth flight with China on May 28 and my third upgrade into business.

They have a number of parnter airlines and can also claim miles with these too. I fly delta to london once a year too, and add this flights miles to my account with china, you also claim mles if you fly on your birthday month and receive more miles when you get upgraded into gold status. Never had a problem when I had enough miles to upgrade to business. I don't drink a lot on the plane but also like a glass of whisky now and again, never a problem when you ask for another.

Also when you have a dynasty card you can check in at the business counter rather then waiting in cattle line.

I also changed my ticket to stay a extra couple of days in Thailand and have not been charged for this sevice too. The food is ok, standard airline food.

I have only used CA FF programe so I can't coment on other programes all I can say id that I'm well please with the servcie that I have received from CA

Here's a couple of thoughts on how to use your miles:

1-Get a NWA Credit Card through their site. It's worth 15k miles.

2-Call NWA and check flights on Malaysia Air--one of their partners.

3-Sign up for EVERY promo, contest, etc. they have going now. It's another way of accumulating miles.

Its all booked guys but I got it all wrong. This birthday special wasnt an award upgrade but an all inclusive business class fare for points at half milage.

Im flying Auckland-Bangkok-Manila return for 67500 thai FF miles,

But it is costing me $NZD250 in taxes and additional money for travel insurance plus I have to book a Wellingon - Auckland domestic airfare.

So the money I had sidelined for thkis trip can be used for the following trip. awesome stuff.

On the negative side I don't earn any points, cant change the inbound legs and should i not be able to make the trip the points cant be recredited.

Floyd

I had the same problem with my FF miles until someone on this board suggested I log onto Flyertalk.com for adviice. I did. They told me to call the FF # on the back of my card, but then ask to be connected to the "international Partners" desk. It seems most individual airlines do not have access to all the parnter awards information. The IPD does. It also depends a great deal upon the agent you're speaking too. Finding connecting flights, etc..takes some skill and patience. I have spoken to 2 who said it couldn't be done, but a third agent was able to put it togehter for me. Got nothing to lose...give 'em a call. And like everyone else said, it's crucial to be flexible with as much advance notice as possible. Good luck.

That would be me T. See....I don't always just tease you :clap1.

Flyertalk is a great site for anything miles related.

That would be me T. See....I don't always just tease you :cussing.

Flyertalk is a great site for anything miles related.

While it's true you're not the first to run to my rescue, you have at times been civil and even fair in your responses. Flyertalk was a great recommendation. I guess I owe you one.

Thumbs up to flyertalk.com. That is the fount of all knowledge about flying.

Suggestion as to miles. I'm a Gold Medallion of some many years on Delta. I and my 930,000 FF miles sweated Delta's liquidation a few weeks ago and survived. This doesn't mean all that much because rules change a few times a year and what one learns over the years isn't too valuable -- but one item that seems to survive changes

is upgrades.

I know guys want to spend their miles on a free ticket, but consider life during those 25 hours enroute from the US in business class with seats that recline to almost horizontal. Sleep becomes possible. The food is 10X better than in coach. The bang for the mileage buck may be bigger too. A r/t NW ticket to LOS is about $1K. A Bizness class ticket could be $3K.

Now don't consider this guaranteed. Overseas upgrades are VERY hard to get. But at least it gives you one more option.

Intl Biz is good. Even if you wander into the gaggle of FAs on their scheduled break, in Bizness Class they will snap to and do what you want.

FYI, FA breaks, the Singapore Air FAs actually change out of their uniforms and go downstairs to a little crew lounge in the baggage area of the trans Pacific aircraft for their scheduled breaks. It's amusing to see them suddenly in jeans and with their hair down as they go downstairs. Then after their break, they get back in uniform and become once more the best airline service in the sky.

I'm a Gold Medallion of some many years on Delta. I and my 930,000 FF miles sweated Delta's liquidation a few weeks ago and survived.

If you ever want to dispose of some of those expiring miles, I am happy to compensate you for the loss. :chogdee2

I'm 6 for 6 in getting the freebies with United using only 60K miles. I always call and speak to an agent and get a reservation between 2 and 3 months in advance. Because I'm retired I have full flexibility when booking, just give then a date and tell them to start looking for anything on that date and any date thereafter. Only once did I get the entire trip on United and once the entire trip was with their partner Singapore. This June I will be flying the legs between SFO and Inchon on Singapore and the legs between Inchon and BKK on Thai. I've never tried to get a freebie between Christmas and New Years but do utilize the miles in the summer months and January when the ticket prices are usually higher. Also use the freebies when I plan on getting an extension as ticket prices are higher when you book for over 30 days.

I returned from my last trip in Febuary and had accumulated over 60,000 miles on NWA. Having tried many times to use the miles without luck I searched out as far as I could and secured a flight for Feb 2007. It is a long way to try and plan for but I knew I could not get any freebies before that. Also watch as sometimes they have their cash and miles program where you can exchange so many miles and some cash for a ticket. Flying from the Twin Cities you are almost forced to go on NWA.

Edited by kikc69