Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 756 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Obtaining credit card from a Thai bank

One of the disadvantages of living in Paradise is that the UK banks won't send your new credit/debit cards in the post to Thailand. Therefore, a visit home is required unless a friend or family member is coming over.

I have a retirement visa (strictly an extension of a non-Immigrant O visa) valid until August 2007. Does anyone know whether I can get a credit card from Bangkok Bank based on this. A limit of 200,000 baht or maybe 250,000 baht would be sufficient.

Thanks,

Alan

One of the disadvantages of living in Paradise is that the UK banks won't send your new credit/debit cards in the post to Thailand. Therefore, a visit home is required unless a friend or family member is coming over.

Why not have your Friend/family member fed ex one to you here? There also are several "Mail Boxes Etc." type places in Pattaya that I'm sure would accept a Fed Ex (Or DSL) package for you for a small fee.

In addition, My TW and I have an savings account with Bangkok Bank that is linked to Visa - Not exactly a Credit Card, as we must preload it, but it works fine.

Edited by MrMango

With all the threads I read on the boards about credit card cloning and fraud, I think that the last thing I'd want would be a Thai credit card. My US cards come with some sort of 100% no-fraud warranty. Doo the Thai banks have a similar deal, or are you just SOL if someone clones your card?

Rex

I had credit cards from Bangkok Bank - but I had a current account - not a savings account - they are pretty restrictive with that - usually thzey require a work permit and many other things before they issue a credit card..

however - i have heard of arrangement where banks issue a credit card on a savings account - they will lock the limit they give you on the card - eg - if you got a limit of 200,000 baht - and you got 1,000,000 on the bank - you will only see 800,000 baht as available balance...

dont know if thats still possible now - just try and talk to your branch...

cheers

cyber

I had credit cards from Bangkok Bank - but I had a current account - not a savings account - they are pretty restrictive with that - usually thzey require a work permit and many other things before they issue a credit card..

however - i have heard of arrangement where banks issue a credit card on a savings account - they will lock the limit they give you on the card - eg - if you got a limit of 200,000 baht - and you got 1,000,000 on the bank - you will only see 800,000 baht as available balance...

dont know if thats still possible now - just try and talk to your branch...

cheers

cyber

Thanks cyber - Having part of my balance "locked in" wouldn't be a problem.

The renewal dates of my credit and debit cards are out of synch with my debit card expiring 7 months after my credit card. My Thai credit card would really only be used to cover this period or as a back up in the event of an emergency.

Alan

Edited by Eneukman

I have been in Thailand for almost 6 years. Have had the same bank account with Bangkok Bank the whore time. Been dumpiing anywhere from 100k baht - 280k baht in it each month for the whole time. The fuckers still wont give me a credit card. I provided everything they asked for on several occasions, and everytime it comes back denied! :brokeheart

I have seen this problem from the thai side instead. TGF couldn't get a thai credit card the first years we knew eachother even if she had regular income (the money sent from me) and land and house ownership. After our 1st apartment building was ready thai tax authority asked for her to pay tax on that income, with a paper from tax authority showing that she payed tax resulted in getting a VISA-card.

So I guess that normally a farang must have a work permit combined with a paper showing that he has a taxable income in LOS to get a credit card.

Edited by elef

I have submitted all the necessary documents on 4 occasions, all resulting in "denied". Even though my brother-inlaw (Thai) makes 10 times less than me, and has fucking 5 credit cards? GEESH!

When I opened my account with Kaisinkorn bank about a 18 months ago, they gave me an ATM card and Visa card. never used the credit card (never asked for one) as I have my oz one as well.

When I opened my account with Kaisinkorn bank about a 18 months ago, they gave me an ATM card and Visa card. never used the credit card (never asked for one) as I have my oz one as well.

Do any of the large US banks have branches in Thailand such as Bank of America. I was also thinking of American Express Bank. I have American Express Credit Cards now and they are accepted in Thailand.

Any suggestions?

I actually went to the bank and asked about this 2 days ago. They said I can have one no problem if I want a 100000baht limit they will lock 2000000baht from my account to cover, all I need is my passport and proof of address. I bank with Bangkok Bank and have approx 1 million baht in there.

I actually went to the bank and asked about this 2 days ago. They said I can have one no problem if I want a 100000baht limit they will lock 2000000baht from my account to cover, all I need is my passport and proof of address. I bank with Bangkok Bank and have approx 1 million baht in there.

Yet the will give just about any Thai with a bank account a credit card no matter how much they make per month. Doesn't make good sense to me. Hong Kong Bank will be getting all of my business from now on. Not a problem getting a visa card from them.

I have submitted all the necessary documents on 4 occasions, all resulting in "denied". Even though my brother-inlaw (Thai) makes 10 times less than me, and has fucking 5 credit cards? GEESH!

This is Thailand.

Alan

There's a long (79 posts) thread on thaivisa by a poster, "rainman", who did eventually get a credit card but it was a very trying ordeal. Multiple applications, denials, more applications, phone calls, lost applications and on and on :rolleyes: He got it from Central Department Store in Bangkok. No, it's not just a store credit card, but a general purpose one such as Visa or MasterCard issues.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=67244&st=0

-redwood

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks cyber - Having part of my balance "locked in" wouldn't be a problem.

The renewal dates of my credit and debit cards are out of synch with my debit card expiring 7 months after my credit card. My Thai credit card would really only be used to cover this period or as a back up in the event of an emergency.

Alan

For this purpose I have 2 Visa Electron Credit Cards from my bank in the home country which I can upload easily also from abroad. This works perfect for me and is safe (the second one is a backup if the first one would fail for whatever reason). Each card cost me just 5 Euro/year! Just helped out a friend with a motorbike accident ...

No I'm not working for Visa @ all :-)

Last month, I had a great time at my local Bangkok Bank.

I didn't want a credit card, just a debit card I can use to book online flights - the current ATM debit card they issue has no numbers on the back so no online payments: My European ATM/debit cards can be used online - if you have money in your account, you can spend it online. The Thai ATM cards cane be used as a Debit Card in stores etc, as they belong to VISA - for some reason, you can't go online with a standard issue card. T.I.T.

So I go to see my branch t osee what they can do - they offer me a credit card. Thank you but no thank you, I don't want to lock up 200K, I just want to pay for my regular flights to Sukhothai without having to make a special trip to the airport for the airline to swipe my ATM card - they have a very good online booking service and the only thing which doesn't work is my bank card.

Big discussion breaks out in Thai. Please wait sir. They called another bank advisor over and I explain it again to him.

It seems that nobody in the bank has any idea of what an online ATM card is. Little green men from mars strolling into their bank would have caused less consternation.

They drag the woman's daughter into the discussion as she speaks really good english - she understands perfectly the problem - I need a ATM card with 3 numbers on the back, just like my Euro one: Girl relays it to her mother who tells the other guy - they look at my EURO card in awe. Lots of head nodding and out come 10 sheets of paper for me to fill in.

I fill them in, signing at the places the three of them point to. I get to the last page ... there at the top of the page, in small English lettering, is the words "Credit Card Application".

I ask again:

Q: this application is for a credit card, right? You said the card wasn't a credit card.

A: Kar Pom (yes sir).

Q: Sorry, is that yes, it is a credit card or yes, it is not credit card.

A: Credit card.

Q: But you said it wasn't a credit card.

A: yes ... you can book online with card.

Q: So I have to keep 200,000B locked up juat so I can spend 1600B.

A: Kar Pom.

I forget and ask a negative question.

Q: Do you don't have ATM card I can use online.

A: yes.

This confuses me.

Q: Sorry, you not have.

A: Not have.

(So its yes, we not have online card - great language Tinglish). We get back on track.

Q: But one hour ago you said you had online ATM card.

A: Kar Pom. We have next year.

(pause)

.... maybe.

I do like Thais - they just hate saying no, 'cos it might make you upset. So wasting an full hour isn't going to upset me?

The airline proved to be very helpful, they told me the only Bank which has such a card is Kasikorn.

Next problem - the only bank not in my district is of course .... Karsikorn.

The only reason it doesn't drive me crazy is because I know living in the UK is so much worse.

And the benefits here are just ............ well last night, I was walking home - I passed a bar. Suddenly, a girl I have never seem before rushes out, gives me one hell of a cuddle then dashes back into the bar again. I don't know why, her mates thought it was hilarious. It did make this old man very happy.

T.I.T. Its never predictable.

Rhoel.

Rhoel, if the problem was solved too simply, you would not enjoy the tirade and waste of the day inside the bank with numerous people you meet, understanding what a credit card is from a debit card.

Keep in mind in asia, credit cards are not used as much, why, people pay in cash or check. The thought of issuing a business credit card is too far fetched to a bank manager.

• 2 weeks later...

An easy way to get a THai credit card is to transfer your American Express history to a Thai American Express card. This can be set up between your original country and Thailand. You need to clear your balance in your original country first. This will allow a reasonable credit limit on your Thai card. I have the phone number in Thailand somewhere if anyone wants it.