Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

A new Airline flying from Australia

:finger Jetstar international begins flights to Bangkok on the 21 November there special which couldnt book was aud 265 return trip but any aussies interested they have packages in peakseasoin abt aud 985 return maybe they will create some competition on prices and they have bought out jetstar Asia

Sossn,

Booked a peak season flight mel-bkk (late Dec-late Jan) for just over $900au return, they are more expensive now for that time, competitive with Thai Air etc.

To me this was a great deal as Thai Air etc are asking around $1700au

Friends booked early March 07' for not much more than $600 au return.

Not sure what the A340 will be like for a 9+ hour trip but I am am more than willing to endure a few hours of discomfort to save so much money. last year i paid $1450 return on Thai over peak season and that that was a good deal.

I will post a report on Jetstar in late Jan.

With a bit of luck these prices will stay low and drive the other airlines down also.

onelilley.

Sossn,

Booked a peak season flight mel-bkk (late Dec-late Jan) for just over $900au return, they are more expensive now for that time, competitive with Thai Air etc.

Not sure what the A340 will be like for a 9+ hour trip but I am am more than willing to endure a few hours of discomfort to save so much money. last year i paid $1450 return on Thai over peak season and that that was a good deal.

With a bit of luck these prices will stay low and drive the other airlines down also.

onelilley.

i fly from NZ-Thai with Thai on the A346 it is an excellent aircraft in every way and my trip is 12+ hours. <grin

• 3 weeks later...
Sossn,

onelilley.

Just booked mine $1291 return which is a saving considering Thai was $1677, i have only returned 1 month ago and are rushing back over te christmas period so every cent counts at the moment

Looking at booking my annual septemebr trip with a mate and should be around $800 return,

well I got a Sydney Phuket on Jetstar in November for A$350 return (incl taxes) is on the inaugural flight

was lucky to get one of their cheap 1st day sale tickets

• 5 weeks later...

Jetstar have sparked a bit of competition and maybe some cheap tickets from Oz, Singapore Airlines currently have a special in January for around A$680 plus taxes from Sydney, so well under a A$1000, which for January (peak season in Oz as well as LOS) is bloody cheap.

Also good departure (lunchtime in Syd) and arrival times(9pm), only downer is a stop for just over an hour at Changi.

Think the special ends very soon, but im booked and confirmed

Most Agents have the special although Travel.com.au is my choice.

cheers

Alf

They are using old Qantas A330 (200) airbuses which have been repainted and had the interior changed to be more in line with the budget airline they are(read NO frills). The seats are leather but there aint much substance to them (not solid, pretty thin). Not much leg room and the seats are pretty narrow as well.

You have to pay extra for food, tea/coffee, booze, pillows, blankets, inflight entertainment and pretty much everthing else.

I think it would be okay for a short flight, something like Melbourne to Auckland would be bearable. 8 hours Melbourne to Bangkok and longer to Phuket? Not this little black duck. I'll pay the couple of hundred dollars extra and fly Singapore Airlines.

Just my opinion. :bigsmile:

They are using old Qantas A330 (200) airbuses which have been repainted and had the interior changed to be more in line with the budget airline they are(read NO frills). The seats are leather but there aint much substance to them (not solid, pretty thin). Not much leg room and the seats are pretty narrow as well.

100% wrong, seats are actually the same size as QF use now on the A330-200, 747-400 etc and are based on the QF international standard 'Slimline' seats, the only change is now leather for the original cloth.

yes have to pay food & booze

as on Fridays' Sydney Phuket inaugural flight will tell you what it like

100% wrong, seats are actually the same size as QF use now on the A330-200, 747-400 etc and are based on the QF international standard 'Slimline' seats, the only change is now leather for the original cloth.

yes have to pay food & booze

as on Fridays' Sydney Phuket inaugural flight will tell you what it like

I know someone who had a look in the aircraft a few days after the first of them arrived from Manilla (where it was refurbished).

100%wrong ? Lets have a look.

It IS an A330-200 series

They ARE all ex QF aircraft.

You DO pay for food, booze, softdrinks, pillows, blankets, entertainment etc

Not the same seats as on QF 747's. "Based on" doesnt mean the same. I concede they are similar but not the same. Not sure what legroom difference is between QF and JQ.

So does the above equal 100% wrong?

Edited by Shuggy

Good to see they were refurbished in Manilla, must have been put on the back of a truck as the closest airport to Manilla is Tamworth.

While the other one was painted in Manila, a photo in the paint shop.

EBDJetstar3.jpg

Legroom is identical to that at QF, and with the 'Slimline' seats, effective same seat room as SQ & CX, sure without the TV but.

Here's the jetstar web release for those who are interested :drunk

Jetstar Airways Pty Limited ABN 33 069 720 243

23 November 2006

Melbourne (2 pages)

Jetstar goes global with first long haul international flights

Qantas Group valued based airline Jetstar has commenced its long haul international operations with its first flight taking off from Melbourne to Bangkok.

Representing an exciting new direction for both the airline and aviation, Jetstar is bringing choice to international long haul air travel as one of two strong brands for the future of Qantas.

Jetstar Flight JQ29 was farewelled in celebratory style at Melbourne International Airport, capturing some of the culture, flavour and unique attractiveness of Thailand at the Airport prior to departure.

Passengers on Jetstar’s launch international service, who had purchased special web fares at Jetstar.com from AU$199 one way, were treated to a special inflight offering of massages, celebratory gift packs and champagne.

Jetstar’s first long haul international flight into Suvarnabhumi International Airport, Bangkok’s new international gateway, will carry Jetstar’s Chief Executive Officer Alan Joyce and be met by the Chairman of Qantas, Margaret Jackson AC and Australian Ambassador to Thailand, William Paterson.

Jetstar will fly long haul to 7 international destinations from Australia covering 11 international routes directly from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane* or Cairns* by September 2007. The airline’s long haul network includes Bangkok and Phuket in Thailand, Ho Chi Minh City, Bali, Honolulu* and both Osaka* and Nagoya* in western Japan.

Jetstar’s initial fleet of Airbus A330-200 aircraft (303 seat configured), numbering six by mid 2007, will offer two classes of service including StarClass, Jetstar’s business class.

The Jetstar CEO was joined by executives from Melbourne Airport, Victorian Tourism and Major Events Minister Hon. John Pandazopoulos MP and Australian tourism leaders for the departure of Flight JQ29 Melbourne-Bangkok, which will operate 3 times weekly.

Jetstar will also soon fly direct Melbourne-Bali and Melbourne-Honolulu* services from Melbourne.

Jetstar’s commitment to the Thailand market will be reinforced with tomorrow’s inaugural Sydney – Phuket service (3 times weekly), one of 5 international destinations Jetstar will serve directly from Sydney International Airport. Direct services between Sydney – Ho Chi Minh City, a new international route for Qantas, commence 30 November 2006.

Mr Dixon said Jetstar over the next four years would develop a significant international network to a large number of Australian and overseas destinations.

“Importantly Jetstar’s international network will grow mainly on inbound markets into Australia, providing new opportunities for Australian tourism,” Mr Dixon said.

“This is no better reflected by half of Jetstar’s start-up fleet of A330s being committed to fly direct routes between Australia and western Japan next year. Jetstar is initiating a multi-million dollar campaign in Japan to market these future services through both advertising and established distribution channels.”

Mr Joyce said Jetstar would take a price leadership position in international leisure markets for Qantas offering choice for both Australian and international travellers.

Jetstar Airways Pty Limited ABN 33 069 720 243

“Jetstar is committed to offering the lowest fares on the international markets we fly. We can offer low fares by achieving the best cost base of all international carriers operating in Australia, replicating our cost leadership in the Australian domestic market,” Mr Joyce said.

StarClass on Jetstar international routes will bring business class service with an international economy fare.

“StarClass passengers will enjoy extended legroom and a wider seat with in-seat power, video on demand, priority check-in and boarding and access to lounges,” Mr Joyce said.

“When flying Jetstar our customers have a choice of not just flying to exciting new international destinations, but also for what they want to pay for.”

The airline will become the Qantas Group’s launch customer for the new generation Boeing 787 aircraft from late 2008 taking 12 of these aircraft.

* Flights Subject to Regulatory approval

Media enquiries:

Simon Westaway GM, Corporate Relations M: +61 (0) 401 994627

Simone Pregellio Jetstar Corporate Relations M: +61 (0) 418 981 470

For more about Jetstar international services (See Backgrounder)

Enjoy!

You have to pay extra for food, tea/coffee, booze, pillows, blankets, inflight entertainment and pretty much everthing else.

I think it would be okay for a short flight, something like Melbourne to Auckland would be bearable. 8 hours Melbourne to Bangkok and longer to Phuket? Not this little black duck. I'll pay the couple of hundred dollars extra and fly Singapore Airlines.

Just my opinion. :D

Shuggy,

I'm not real sure if the conditions will be as bad as you think, I travel in Dec-Jan so I will post a report on my return.

If the conditions are not great I understand what you say about paying a few hundred bucks and flying singapore or thai if it only works out to be a few hundred bucks.

The main reasons I decided to give them a try was that at Christmas it worked out probably $700au or more cheaper (20,000 baht) and also just for the sake of trying, if it is no good I won't bother again.

I look forward to someone posting a report soon.

onelilley

stevoman

You sure you don`t mean Airbus 340-600

Cheers:

Fonz,

It is common in the airline industry to drop the last number and replace it with the first number of the series of that model. For example, the 747-400 becomes the 744, the 777-300 becomes the 773, and so on, and so on.

:bigsmile:

Edited by Scalawag
Shuggy,

I'm not real sure if the conditions will be as bad as you think, I travel in Dec-Jan so I will post a report on my return.

If the conditions are not great I understand what you say about paying a few hundred bucks and flying singapore or thai if it only works out to be a few hundred bucks.

The main reasons I decided to give them a try was that at Christmas it worked out probably $700au or more cheaper (20,000 baht) and also just for the sake of trying, if it is no good I won't bother again.

I look forward to someone posting a report soon.

onelilley

I think this is a case of each to thier own. If you book early enough, you can get some extremely cheap fares. If you aint to bothered about paying for food, drinks and inflight entertanment then there is definately a good deal to be had here. Nothing stopping you bringing your own food and drink on board and there are ways to sneak booze on too :clueless The seats, though not the best in the industry are okay. Close on to half the cabin crew is going to be Thai nationals based in Bangkok so there will definately be some eye candy amongst them.

Personally, I just prefer to pay more and have that extra bit of comfort and higher staff to pax ratio. I wish Jetstar all the best and do want them to do well. The extra competition might even drive down prices on other airlines.

Hi,

More airlines/airline manufacturers the better for the consumer. :banghead Lets have competition International Style and not American Style where they run off to the WTO at the first hint of free trade.

I came with them on the inaugural Melb-Bangkok flight. Paid $400 and got a massage, showbag of goodies and a hand massage on the flight :bigsmile:

This is not standard Jetstar though :D ... have flown them domestically in Australia and they were awful.

As for the Aircraft and legroom... fully refurbished and I didn't notice being extra cramped. Quite good on the whole. I guess for me it would depend on the price difference at the time.

I came with them on the inaugural Melb-Bangkok flight. Paid $400 and got a massage, showbag of goodies and a hand massage on the flight

This is not standard Jetstar though

As for the Aircraft and legroom... fully refurbished and I didn't notice being extra cramped. Quite good on the whole. I guess for me it would depend on the price difference at the time.

Davosity,

Thanks for the report, it doesn't sound like it was too painful of a trip.

Shuggy,

I agree, with a bit of luck the extra competition will keep Thai, Singapore etc cheaper for longer through out the year and the difference in prices will be minimal.

onelilley.

• 1 month later...

Had a report from a friend who flew Jetstar to LOS, said it was very noticable you were with a budget airline, maybe a cheap flight but no frills, you want anything and he said anything (food,Drink, Entertainment system, blanket and pillow) :D , food was only just edable and entertainment system was as basic as they come.

Looked at there pricing again and by the time you have added food, entertainment system etc, not worth it IMO.

Pay an extra $50 and fly with SQ or Thai and get whatever you want.

Cheers

Alf

Just booked Melb/Bkk return with Thai in May for A$870 incl taxes. Best deal I have found in the last 6 years.

Qantas is a shit airline so I could just imagine what their budget version would be like - not for me.

:bigsmile:

I flew with them and IMO they were fine, a bit of preplanning bring some water and food on board with you.

Yes the Entertainment System is resonably basic about six movies and six TV shows to choose from and it was the same movies and shows on the return leg.

Leg Room was no different than anyone else.

I am looking at going back in July $891 all inclusive which is up to $400 cheaper

I will fly with them again without hesitation.