Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

If you had to move from Thailand where would you go and why?

Where to go?  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Another topic on here got me thinking. If you had to move for me personally I would need atms, good internet and health care, cost of living would be good if it was the same as LOS or cheaper :D

Also which country has the best food after LOS?

The reason I am asking this is because I might bugger off somewhere else where I am more welcome and can own land.......if that is possible in any of these countries. Also taking my Thai wife so that would be a must.

I have been to 4 out of the 8 but only for 5 to 10 days at a time so my experience is very limited so I thought I would ask the seasoned ex pats who have been about a bit.

Detailed answers would be appreciated. :D

Edited by sinkorswim
Another topic on here got me thinking. If you had to move for me personally I would need atms, good internet and health care, cost of living would be good if it was the same as LOS or cheaper :D

Also which country has the best food after LOS?

The reason I am asking this is because I might bugger off somewhere else where I am more welcome and can own land.......if that is possible in any of these countries. Also taking my Thai wife so that would be a must.

I have been to 4 out of the 8 but only for 5 to 10 days at a time so my experience is very limited so I thought I would ask the seasoned ex pats who have been about a bit.

Detailed answers would be appreciated. :D

Don't have an answer, but a little concerned for my future consideration that you don't feel welcome in LOS. I assume it's more than just the ability to own land yourself. If you don't mind sharing, can you describe more about why you want to leave? Maybe would help others pick an alternative for you more accurately?

The only one of these countries that I have any experience with is Cambodia and I have thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent there although it was limited. The only other places in Asia that I have spent any time are India and Nepal. I really had a great time in Nepal and have some very close Nepalese friends who have made me welcome there but I'm not sure what their policies are regarding foreigners living there full time. My experiences in India have not been as good and I would not consider moving their unless it was work related and paid extremely well, which is unlikely. :D

Edited by Braveheart

I wouldn't have any problem living in Cambo. My move to SE Asia is still about 3 years away and there are many things to consider. Although LOS has always been my first choice, Cambo has always been right there. Cheaper and in many ways more friendly. Just don't step off the trail, you might go boom.

Cebu, Philippines hands down. If I wasn't already committed and living in LOS, I would move to Cebu in a heart beat if I could find work there. Cebu is home to my all time favorite bar in the world......Viking Bar. Anyone there now, tell the mamasan that James still plans to come back and marry her some day! :clueless

From the limited list, I picked China. Only because the ladies are so damn sexy and their economy is going like gang-busters. However, I'm going to side with Braveheart and say that Nepal has a place that's dear to my heart.

And BigChief, welcome back.

Ok you picked Nepal but what is the infrastructer (ATM's, internet, hospitals) like and the visa situation, I would appreciate details........I WANT DETAILS :thumbup :D 2guns :thumbup

Don't have an answer, but a little concerned for my future consideration that you don't feel welcome in LOS. I assume it's more than just the ability to own land yourself. If you don't mind sharing, can you describe more about why you want to leave? Maybe would help others pick an alternative for you more accurately?

I just have a bad feeling the way this country is going. They are making it harder for us to stay not eaiser and who knows where they will stop. I still have a good 30 to 40 years in me and I dont fancy being uprooted at anytime when I am older.

Also the hurdle about not being able to own land is a big problem for me. I currently have a big plot of land in Chiang Mai and I am going to sell it and rethink my plans. I have spend over 300000baht in this country in the last year. I am contributing more to the economy than 100 thais yet I cant do or own shit.

Ok you picked Nepal but what is the infrastructer (ATM's, internet, hospitals) like and the visa situation, I would appreciate details........I WANT DETAILS :thumbup :D 2guns :thumbup

I just have a bad feeling the way this country is going. They are making it harder for us to stay not eaiser and who knows where they will stop. I still have a good 30 to 40 years in me and I dont fancy being uprooted at anytime when I am older.

Also the hurdle about not being able to own land is a big problem for me. I currently have a big plot of land in Chiang Mai and I am going to sell it and rethink my plans. I have spend over 300000baht in this country in the last year. I am contributing more to the economy than 100 thais yet I cant do or own shit.

I am pretty sure there is no laws against owning shit. I will start saving it up if you are willing to buy it off me.

I am pretty sure there is no laws against owning shit. I will start saving it up if you are willing to buy it off me.

how much per kilo?

I am sure you could manage 500 kilos you are full of it. :thumbup

Watch yourself, that is dangerously close to a rules violation. :thumbup

Sorry I just said you where full of it (good information). :D

Back on topic what do you like about Cebu? Surely cannot be for 1 bar. What is it like there, what is the visa situation and would I be able to take the Thai wife?

Ok you picked Nepal but what is the infrastructer (ATM's, internet, hospitals) like and the visa situation, I would appreciate details........I WANT DETAILS :banghead :D

Typical 3rd World infrastructure. No problems with anything in Kathmandu - ATMs, Internet, Hospitals and other amenities are readily available. Don't know the quality of the medical care there as I never had to partake of it. I have heard that the other large towns/cities in Nepal are similar to Kathmandu just scaled down. Outside of the major population centres don't expect much. :D

Of all the countries listed, my pick would be for the Philippines NOW.

Let me explain why. Vietnam, China, Japan, Korea are all at a struggle now with many changes occuring in the next 2-3 years. These changes may affect the global economy but surely the Asian economy. Japan, will be a change in the Prime Minister the likelihood will be Shizuo(sp) Abe. He has conservative views, but he has plans to start up the military and defense with China and Korea looming with nuclear capability.

Vietnam will be lifting its ban on multinational companies and foreign investments by the year 2009. If this happens wherein the government will ease up on foreigners owning land and living there, then this would be a good place to retire. There is too much speculation now until such time that decisions are made by the Vietnamese government on retirees and investment companies moving into Vietnam.

Korea, they have their head up their rear end. With their nuclear capability getting on baord, the Japanese are very nervous after a missile was hot into Japanese waters. They will be outmatched with both Japan and the US being allies.

China has a great economy with Hong Kong, Macau and Shanghai. IF only their government will rethink the pollution problem for one. Also the nuclear start up is opposed by the Chinese people but the government is still going through with this, with surrounding areas like Japan gearing up to start their nuclear arms race if they feel threatened.

As you can see the power struggle in Asia is key to where to live and how your life will be affected with changes in goverments such as what is happening in Thailand.

Now we go to the Philippines. Yes, there may be instability in parts of Manila, but I don't think I would live there most of the time. I prefer areas such as Cebu, Dumaguete Batangas, etc. Why live in densely populated areas when you can live by provinces that have the infrastructure such as ATM's schools, hospitals etc without the pollution, crime, traffic, and chaos of the big city.

That is my take, on this. IF there are changes in the next few years for the betterment of retirees, and communist goverments of Vietnam and China lean towards changes that their people would benefit from such as tourism, infrastructure, investment, land ownership and holding. development of land plus water, air quality improvements, then my choices will include China and Vietnam also.

The land ownership laws in the Philippines are similar to Thailand. You CAN'T own land regardless of what some misinformed people may tell you. They have softened up the visa requirements but it is still not easy to get any visa that allows you to stay and not have to leave the country at least once a year.

Thankyou or that. A few people have mentioned Cebu to me. What is the visa situation like there and can I take my thai wife and own land and a house?

Cheers for the info. :D

The Subic bay in PI become Duty free area for international factories.They assemble goods (like Acer) and ship them out and dont pay local taxes. I heard that the investors (US$300.000+) been alloved to buy & own property for 99 years. The real esate prices went up very much in Olongapo after that.

Cebu is cheaper , exept Mactown Island wich is invaded by Japanese again.

Douagete? Hm hardly anything happens there. How about Indonesia? You can set up a company and own the house. Otherwise same like in Thailand, cant own it.

Jogjakarta is the 2nd tourist designation in Indonesia and much much cheaper than Bali. $40-50.000 buy you a nice house. Wages for locals $50-100 and many earns below that. Most of the locals 99.99% likes foreigners. Specially the girls :)

There is Batam island short ferry ride from Singapore, if you set up a business,can own land....and have many western style entertainment.

hi i would live in Bali been there and loved it english speaking atms better hotels cheaper food and better service but not sure about land ownership even taken my thai wife there and she loved it it also has surf active volcanos excellent golf courses worth a look <grin

hi i would live in Bali been there and loved it english speaking atms better hotels cheaper food and better service but not sure about land ownership even taken my thai wife there and she loved it it also has surf active volcanos excellent golf courses worth a look :thumbup

The "active volcanoes" bit is enough to turn me off. Bad enough when the woman you're with explodes without warning! :D

• 1 year later...

I'm still around after 13+ years but it's getting more and more difficult to get Work Permits and even find decent paying jobs in LOS

Work Permits are usually just trivial, but lately the salaries being offered are borderline pathetic for local hire expats.

I got lucky with my current job and it's got a defined end date so it's time to start looking over the horizon for the next stint

anyone have any info about jobs in Oil & Gas abroad ?

I was applying myself over and over on KBRJobs.com but to no avail and to some other contractors working in Qatar and other wealthy M-E countries but still not more than just intermediate interviews by telephone.

Vietnam is a bright horizon I hear, but I've got next to no info.

tips, suggestions or contact info is gladly appreciated either by PM or right here on this thread.

I prefer not to work in LOS, but rumor has it that being resident in LOS is a bad mark for the headhunters, i.e. they think ALL LOS expats are piss-heads and fanny-rats

Vietnam is a bright horizon I hear, but I've got next to no info.

IN a lot of ways, Vietnam is like Thailand in the... oh, 1980s? A bit of a frontier, a bit of a frontier SPIRIT, a long way to go to get where they're going.

I'd go to Taiwan. Sounds boring but I have some family who have done very well there striking out on their own and breaking the mould. There is a lot of opportunity there.

Cebu ended up being second to Thailand on my short list. The lack of infrastructure, high electricity costs (when it is working), pollution and terrible roads put me off. That added to my earthquake phobia kept Cebu number two. Typhoons I can deal with but volcanoes, earthquakes and terrorists are a major problem.

Cambodia, Sihanoukville, (Snooky) is the type of laid back place that I like but again the lack of infrastructure, especially health care for an old fart kept it in number three place.

I think if Thailand no longer allows me to stay, I'd pack it up and head back to the US.

I have always considered Malaysia to be the obvious choice when I choose to settle down in the region. Their Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) programme has everything that Thailand doesn't offer.

House purchase - allowed

Car purchase - tax free import allowed

Visa - 10 years

Easy flights to everywhere in the region

First class transport and communications infrastructure

Relative stability

Under 50s allowed

Further details of requirements/procedures at ............

Malaysia My Second Home

I have been having a good look at the island of Langkawi as it is under 3 hours by car/ferry from where I live in Thailand at the moment. Lots of guys complain about the price of booze in Malaysia but since Langkawi enjoys Duty Free Port status the prices are a lot less than what you typically pay in Thailand.

For a decent starting point to find the answers to most other expat questions about the country, try here ......

Malaysia Expat Guide

Edited by CheshireTom
I50s allowed

I have been having a good look at the island of Langkawi

So Tom, the under 50 rule applies and the Sunami was a one off ! :bigsmile: