Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Difference between Air China Limited and China Airlines?

Hello,

I'm flying to the LOS around 12/14 or so from the U.S. and the flight via Air China Limited is only $1,100 or so, compared to $1,320 or so using China Airlines. Is it really that "limited"? Any ideas on the difference? The $1,100 flight DOES have a 14 hour layover in Beijing (ugh), as opposed to a 2 hour in Taipei.

Also...as to whether I should buy the tickets now or later...

If I wait will prices go down as they need to fill the seats? Is there a way to time this exactly, or should I just buy ASAP.

Thanks in advance!

There is another regular poster that is based in Beijing but I have forgotten his name. Perhaps somebody else can tell you who it is. His information will be far more updated than mine,

I lived in China for two years early '90s and there is no way I would spend 14 hours at Bijing airport if I saved 500USD!! Perhaps it has since been refurbished and updated. As for the Airline, I would chose China Airlines over LTD anyday.

Hello,

I'm flying to the LOS around 12/14 or so from the U.S. and the flight via Air China Limited is only $1,100 or so, compared to $1,320 or so using China Airlines. Is it really that "limited"? Any ideas on the difference? The $1,100 flight DOES have a 14 hour layover in Beijing (ugh), as opposed to a 2 hour in Taipei.

Also...as to whether I should buy the tickets now or later...

If I wait will prices go down as they need to fill the seats? Is there a way to time this exactly, or should I just buy ASAP.

Thanks in advance!

I would not even consider a 14 hour layover...it's ridiculous.

Earlier rather than later is normally best so long as you are SURE your dates are fixed.

Shop around a plenty........but you are in the high high season there!

Edited by jacko

check things out, last time I had a 14 hour layover they closed the airport at 2am and tried to kick me out. I hid in restroom and slept in children's recreation area. It was not pleasant, nearly froze to death from the AC as I came in from Hawaii shorts and t-shirt.

You had better buy your ticket now. That is high, high season and those low price tickets could be sold out real fast.

Bob4you,

Wow...that's a terrible situation! I was considering waiting because a) was thinking maybe we could get cheaper tickets and B) one of the guys going was waiting to get more $$ together. After speaking to him today, I think the other two of us are just going to buy our tickets now and he can buy them later, if he can afford it.

A 14 hour layover does sound outrageous and not really worth it. I really like to shop for discounts...but $240 or so probably isn't worth the pain in my ass, lol.

L4F,

Have you checked the China Airline’s (CI) website; http://www.china-airlines.com/en/index.htm

I’ve found that quite often you can save $50 - $100 when booking directly with CI.

I’ve got a friend coming from SoCal (LAX) to Thailand in mid-December and he said he saved about $75 by booking via the CI website.

Cheers! :D

Bill

14 hour layover,now way !!

Don,t forget that air China is a Chinese airline and China airlines is Taiwanese and concidered as very good airline since they renewed their fleet.

There is not that much difference between Air China and China airlines in Economy. Business class is fine and cheap on China Airlines. Air China will cost you a lot more but is no better. Beijing airport is perfectly modern and well equipped these days but i wouldn't choose to spend 14 hours in any airport

Neil

Bought my ticket for Dec 14 from LAX today. $1249 USD via China Air's website directly. Definitely not a steal...but it is the high season, eh? Whatcha gonna do? :-)

Why so high? That is almost double their regular fare.

Almost double?

Ack...I don't know...it's the best I could find. I searched quite a bit and couldn't find much better. I could find a flight via Air China Ltd but I chose China Air instead after asking a few questions from some other BM's.

Sucks if I paid to much...honestly, though...I just happy I bought the tickets. I'm going for sure now, heh.

Must have something to do with the Christmas Season. I just tried one month on the either side of 14 December and the fares run from $650 to $750.00. Mid December is over $1,200.00. The mysteries of airline pricing. :clueless

• 2 weeks later...