Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Owning a house in East Pattaya

I was looking at a house for sale just up SoI Nermplubwan (soi Muslim). As usual I took a stroll up and down the street to see if I was attacked by dogs, or the local pig farmer/slaughterer was set up in a neighbouring house. :bigsmile:

I saw a lot of houses advertised as for sale.... and from the look of them I sensed farang owners. At first I thought maybe recent 'poltical' changes had prompted a selling spree, or the fear that the house ownership via a shell company loophole may be closed. Then another thought, the new highway by the railway track, due to open in October. This will really cut off East Pattaya from the real part of town, Sukhumvit alone is a nightmare......imagine 2 parallel roads only 50-100 metres apart. Talking to my GF she seemed to think tunnels (or bridges) would be built both for cars and the railway line. Now those aren't going to be ready in October.

Is East Pattaya due to become isolated by a horrible amount of road construction for a few years. Nothing gets done quickly here, and ensuing chaos is expected to be tolerated. I think of the motorway flyover at Chonburi, where for a long time all the traffic had to come off the motorway, go a kilometer in the wrong direction and then U-Turn and drive back to get back onto the motorway towards Bangkok. That was a mess.

Anybody know what is to become of the 'dark side', as kolobos refers to it?

Edited by jacko

Which motorway? When I stay in Pattaya - 10 weeks a year - I pass the railway at least 2 times a day and sofar never seen any motorway under construction. Just checked Google Earth and can't find any track of it either.

We have owned a house just off Soi Nern Plab Wan for the last 5 years. I enjoy living there when we come for holidays but the only thing I do hate is having to cross Sukhumvit Rd when we go into town. It gets busier every year. I just hope this new road doesn't make it any worse. Soi Nern Plab Wan has a bridge over the railway and hopefully the new road would also go under.

If I have got this correct: The railway sold off surplus land to the council so that another road could be built to ease the traffic on Sukhumvit Rd. The new road runs parallel to the the railway line and is being built by the army. I don't know where it starts and finishes.

Edited by thegrogmonster

I think this is a misunderstanding, the new highway 36 Bangkok - Chonburi - Pattaya - Rayong runs east of east Pattaya. My hotel limo service has used it for the last 6 months for going to airport.

If there will be a new road using the land beside the railway it will take years until it's ready - they haven't even started building it AFAIK, must be a question of more than 5 years. Sure it's needed, Sukhumvit Rd is a nightmare.

If there will be a new road using the land beside the railway it will take years until it's ready - they haven't even started building it AFAIK, must be a question of more than 5 years. Sure it's needed, Sukhumvit Rd is a nightmare.

I was there in December and January and they have definitely started building it. It was also in the Pattaya Mail. I tried doing a search of back issues but their servers are down for maintenance.

Edited by thegrogmonster

Ok, maybe I not look around enough, I passed the railway on Soi Siam Country Club many times in february and didn't notice anything. It's not showing on Google Earth but the pics can be old so it's possible. Is it a normal road or motorway standard?

Edited by elef
Ok, maybe I not look around enough, I passed the railway on Soi Siam Country Club many times in february and didn't notice anything. It's not showing on Google Earth but the pics can be old so it's possible. Is it a normal road or motorway standard?

I went down Soi Siam Country Club 2 weeks ago and you can now see the road works to the North running parallel to the rail line.

Tnx guys, if you check Google Earth you can see that there were small roads on both sides already before, but there're also areas with building very close to the railway. BTW, the normal distance between the railway and Sukhumvit it about the same as between Beach and 2nd roads.

'Owning a house in East Pattaya, Is there something I need to know'

You need to know that it is against the law for farang to own house in Thailand

(In the normal understanding of the expression 'owning house' abnormal interpretations may offer different conclusions but will be abnormal).

Edited by spacebass

You can own as many houses as you want but never the lands - with the BoI exception if you invest 40 million baht via them you can own 1 rai. The opening post mentioned those guys using companies are now selling.

Edited by elef

I think a lot shown on Google Earth is 3 years old. For example, I think you can still see the old pier, now demolished, in Pattaya Bay.

Chas, good you pointed that out as Google Earth says image copyright 2007, but you're right Soi Zero is intact and it was 1 ½ year since they started to demolish the buildings. Took a lot extra as the owners by mistake made a much longer contract with the italian restaurant at the Beach Rd than everybody else - 8 months I think. :banghead

Then we know that there're "roads" beside the railway 2-3 years ago which they can transfer to a more permanent road.

If you cross over the railway track on Soi Siam Country Club, now there is a 15m wide leveled track on both sides. There was certainly evidence of it in February, it has become the preferred route to the market! I don't expect it to be motorway standard...who said it was? Now does anybody recall the original question??????? Edited by jacko

The Dark Side is gradually turning into one big suburban belt.

SP Village 5 is now being completed on Soi Siam- when I moved here last June it was a field.

There's a Tesco Lotus due to built over this side as well.

It seems every couple of weeks a new pub or restaurant opens.

I'm looking to move out that way and have been out with Sabang looking at places a few times. Some of the prices being asked are unrealistic due to the enormous supply and even some of the rental requests are based upon very high yield expectations.

Initially I will be renting. Still looking for a 3 bedroomed place if anyone knows of one.

Yes, especially if you go via a farang managed agency.

I pay 15k for a 2br bungalow (furnished).... many farangs tell me I pay too much. Thais gasp in disbelief!

Which motorway? When I stay in Pattaya - 10 weeks a year - I pass the railway at least 2 times a day and sofar never seen any motorway under construction. Just checked Google Earth and can't find any track of it either.

Google Earth isn't updated very often. When I looked at my house I the yard didn't show gardens I'd put in years before.

Edited by tko
  • 2 weeks later...

I live up in East pattaya, near the Regents school, and there are 2 new roads being built.

Firstly, the road 36 is being upgraded to a motorway and will have a new section coming down the east side, east of the Mabrachan lake - they are already constructing a lot of this and the bridges up by the 36 went in last week.

Secondly, they are building a new road on spare land next to the railway line, to take some of the traffic away from Sukhumvit Rd.

this follows the line of the railway all the way down, and a lot has been completed, but not tarmac yet (so people already use it, but unless you have a motorcycle or a good 4x4, I would not risk your normal car on it yet.

From the reports last week, the Army Engineers that are doing the top section in East Pattaya, say they will be finished in October - could well be true judging from what is happening.

As to the original question, there is a hell of a lot of building going on in east pattaya, and especially at the north end villages are springing up all over the place - and the prices are going crazy (3-4 bed villas with a private pool, now going for 15-20m baht, such as the new ones built by Regents school, or horseshoe point).

I have to feel that this may crash, as the enforcement of the land laws and the strength of the baht, mean that Thais are priced out of the market and the farangs have been put off.

Would be interesting to hear of any of the BMs are real-estate agents and could tell us what is happening on the ground.

Edited by crobe
I live up in East pattaya, near the Regents school, and there are 2 new roads being built.

Firstly, the road 36 is being upgraded to a motorway and will have a new section coming down the east side, east of the Mabrachan lake - they are already constructing a lot of this and the bridges up by the 36 went in last week.

Secondly, they are building a new road on spare land next to the railway line, to take some of the traffic away from Sukhumvit Rd.

this follows the line of the railway all the way down, and a lot has been completed, but not tarmac yet (so people already use it, but unless you have a motorcycle or a good 4x4, I would not risk your normal car on it yet.

From the reports last week, the Army Engineers that are doing the top section in East Pattaya, say they will be finished in October - could well be true judging from what is happening.

As to the original question, there is a hell of a lot of building going on in east pattaya, and especially at the north end villages are springing up all over the place - and the prices are going crazy (3-4 bed villas with a private pool, now going for 15-20m baht, such as the new ones built by Regents school, or horseshoe point).

I have to feel that this may crash, as the enforcement of the land laws and the strength of the baht, mean that Thais are priced out of the market and the farangs have been put off.

Would be interesting to hear of any of the BMs are real-estate agents and could tell us what is happening on the ground.

I am not expecting any answers that may negatively affect prices..perhaps that pile of festering trash and rubble could be described as land available for expansion. :bigsmile: Edited by jacko

I think we all know how agents the world over like to put a spin on things and inflate prices etc.

Another thing about Thai agencies (whether western owned or not) is that often you will be dealing with a Thai who may look down at you for only being willing or able to pay say Bt15,000 per month when they live in what could best be described as a mud hut. I had that, cheeky bitch !

I was ferried around Pattaya a few times looking at houses by a very nice Thai man, but he only seemed interested in showing me new (still being constructed) and expensive developments. When I suggested there must be a section of the market of pre-owned homes worthy of viewing he suddenly stopped calling. I am beginning to see some more houses at lower asking prices now. Perhaps the effect of low season, or some feel the 'limited company ownership' method is looking shaky.

My attitude has also changed and I am beginning to feel I should only spend what I can afford to walk away from.

I was ferried around Pattaya a few times looking at houses by a very nice Thai man, but he only seemed interested in showing me new (still being constructed) and expensive developments. When I suggested there must be a section of the market of pre-owned homes worthy of viewing he suddenly stopped calling. I am beginning to see some more houses at lower asking prices now. Perhaps the effect of low season, or some feel the 'limited company ownership' method is looking shaky.

My attitude has also changed and I am beginning to feel I should only spend what I can afford to walk away from.

Thais do not buy "used houses". The exceptions are generally people who are far too poor to buy anything else and have to temporarily accept such a horrible thing.

Most... well, many Thais are unable to wrap their minds around the concept of buying a home in which someone else has lived.

some of these post has got me thinking , I am paying 25,000 baht a month for a furnished 2 bedroom house. at royal park in jomtien. it is located right off of jomtien road. I know I am paying to much .I rent through KCR home finder. The manager tells me i am paying for location . He also tells me when the new airport is completed more people will come to pattaya. I have a retired friend that runs a dive shop and he tells me the housing market rent or buying is getting slower and slower and the baht is over inflated the same as the realestate market. I found it near imposible to find a house to rent for 15000 baht . I think you are going to have to go it alone due to the agenices dont want to show you a good deal. they will advertise some houses in that price range but mysterously there alway taken when you enquire about them.If anyone knows of an agency that will show me where i can find a decent deal let me know please .