Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 241 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Baht Bus Alternatives

Question:

Say that you live in Pattaya, don't want to own a car and have been told over and over again that it is not a good idea to start riding around on a motorbike at the tender age of 50+

It would seem that you are limiting yourself to living in condos that are on or near the baht bus routes. And in turn that seems to cut out a lot of options for the east side of town or some of the nicer condos that seem to be away from the traffic.

What are the alternatives? Do you collect the cell phone numbers of some baht bus drivers? Is there a true (in the western sense) taxi service? Or are you simply out of luck and as I said before limited to living in places on the baht bus routes?

Thanks

A friend of mine says he's collected phone numbers of taxi drivers from the little booths that advertise "Bangkok taxi 800 baht". And over time he's gotten some drivers that are usually available and have provided good service.

I mostly walk everywhere or use a baht bus if available. I've only used a moto taxi 4-5 times since I've lived here. (And I know several older guys who will not use them.) I do live within a 7-8 min. walk of Pattaya Klang, but even so, later at night, there are very few baht buses going toward the beach. (And I think this probably applies to Pattaya Nua & Tai So I either wait or walk. Coming back at 1-2 a.m. isn't bad because there are lots of Thais getting off work and going home.

So yes, where you live will have a definite impact on your mobility.

-redwood

Baht buses have routes east of Sukhumvit and travel north and south on Sukhumvit. They're not as frequent as the ones on Beach RD. Do some research on their routes to get an idea of your boundries for selecting a place to stay. These routes could also expand in the future as more development arrive. Also if your not aware, Carrefour and maybe other markets, will deliver your goods to you if the purchase is over 1000 baht so you wouldn't have to lug groceries around on a baht bus.

Carrefour will deliver your goods but not you !

Let's face it, there is no alternative in Shilo's case. However, even with his experience, his holidays have been focused on getting to where he wanted to party, not thinking about long term living. most people develop a life in the vicinity to their home if they do not have transport. The reverse also exists that some people live where they want o get out and about.

The Bt800 taxis are a joke as they are just any old guy who has been on the receiving end of a one way trip from Bangkok or the airport to Pattaya.

You can get numbers of good baht bus drivers. There are even some westerners who do a bit of taxi work on the side, some in nice cars and very well priced.

I use to do a "big shop" about once a month and hire a bus. Other bits I got here and there. My missus would go to the market before she was pregnant, now we just take the truck.

If you have the cash, buying a decent truck for about Bt800k (you can get one from Bt400k - no aircon etc.) can be a sensible investment. Insurance (first year free) and running costs (not including fuel) probably eat up about 30,000 per year so not a lot. Depreciation is low. A 5 year old truck, well maintained will probably be worth over 50% of the price you paid som in that example, the total 5 year costs for a truck are around 800k*50%+4*30k = 520k. Thats about 8k per month. You can also offset some hires of buses to do shopping, visiting friends, getting around etc. The net downside is probably 6k per month.

Edited by torrenova
Carrefour will deliver your goods but not you !

If you have the cash, buying a decent truck for about Bt800k (you can get one from Bt400k - no aircon etc.) can be a sensible investment. Insurance (first year free) and running costs (not including fuel) probably eat up about 30,000 per year so not a lot. Depreciation is low. A 5 year old truck, well maintained will probably be worth over 50% of the price you paid som in that example, the total 5 year costs for a truck are around 800k*50%+4*30k = 520k. Thats about 8k per month. You can also offset some hires of buses to do shopping, visiting friends, getting around etc. The net downside is probably 6k per month.

I didn't say that Carrefour would deliver the shopper.

Good cost analysis, a few other things one should consider is if your buying a 5 year old vehicle and driving it another 5 years don't be surprised if you need to have some major repair work done. Aso if your driving alot in Pattaya don't be surprised if you're in a fender bender and if you are hope its with another falang and not a Thai. Also some of the falangs that I know seem to get pulled over by the cops and make a donation to the police department alot or is that included in your 30K a year operating cost.

That is a solid cost analysis. My only question would be about liability. Did the insurance number quoted indemnify you from some enterprising Thai who arranges to get hit by you in order to sue?

I just realized that one thing is missing from the analysis. The money that is pulled out of your account to purchase this vehicle will no longer be earning interest income.

When I bought my condo in Jomtien, it wasn't on a baht bus route. I got tired of walking almost a kilometer to catch a baht bus. I still think anyone who rides a motorbike has a death wish, but, I bought a motorbike and found a safe place to park it that was on the baht bus route. After I knew for sure how much it cost me to live in Thailand I decided that I could afford a pickup truck. Even after I had the truck, I still took the baht bus to Pattaya.

That is a solid cost analysis. My only question would be about liability. Did the insurance number quoted indemnify you from some enterprising Thai who arranges to get hit by you in order to sue?

Thailand has 1st class, 2nd class and 3rd class insurance. 1st class covers everything and has no deductible. 2nd class covers fire and theft plus liability but no collision. 3rd class is only liability and is VERY cheap. 3rd class will cost you less than 5,000 baht per year and the best part is that if you have an accident, you call the insurance company to represent you. They certainly DON'T want to pay unless it was clearly your fault. Just because you are a farang doesn't automatically make it your fault.

I just realized that one thing is missing from the analysis. The money that is pulled out of your account to purchase this vehicle will no longer be earning interest income.

True, but based on a cost of 800,000 baht and a net yield of 4%, the loss of income to you would be less than 3,000 baht per month. I haven't got round to buying a truck yet but will probably do so in another year or so - maybe less if I take a live-in.

Alan

True, but based on a cost of 800,000 baht and a net yield of 4%, the loss of income to you would be less than 3,000 baht per month. I haven't got round to buying a truck yet but will probably do so in another year or so - maybe less if I take a live-in.

Alan

True Alan, but add that to your depreciation loss and your operating cost and it might add up to around 10K a month. You can take alot of baht bus rides on that amount.

so far on any trip to LOS and Pattaya mostly I never drive... no bike, no car, and delight in being 'ordinary' and taking the Baht bus like anyone else and the Mo-Cy 'risk ur life' experience for that wind in the hair warm night feel, but of course living there must be different. I want and intend/hope/dream to live there but despair of the farcical and extreme equation of importing a car you like to LOS and don't want to barge around in a 4WD tank like an english housefrau going down the supermarket..

I did the incredibly convoluted equations on the thai consul website of trying to work out how MUCH it would cost to import one of my cars to Thailand.. and just collapsed in horror... it's like ' double the number you first thought of, add this x multiplier, add this, multiply by this,, add this and finally multiply the lot by this and BIngo! instant mega many times the value of your car. I tried the game with my Mini Cooper S Works Convertible and the end result.. would have bought me a fabulous condo... 3mil + Baht to import a MINI?? gah! ... I didn't even dare try the exercise with my Morgan but how I'd love to drive that down Beach Road in the sun... a dream...

I saw two Mini Coopers in Bangkok and one yellow one in Pattaya and some western sports cars.. how the hell anyone gets them there or what sort of sums they waste on tax I do not know...

I totally detest the dirty inefficient and overpriced crowded public transport in the UK but....All in all I think I will stick to the Baht bus and be anon for a few years maybe if I am lucky enough to ever get to stay longtime in LOS...it's way more simple and civlised than UK's awful rip off bus/train network.... but then a magnificent custom harley trike with petite thai twins on the back seats would be nice also.... ( a standard .. but lovely ..single type Harley was about 1.2mil baht in the shop at Duck Square Pattay on my last visit...!! )

ah don't you just love this amazing place with all its wonderful money sinks? 10 baht anyone?

Edited by Agent09

Agent 9, let me help you understand asian twisted philosophy.

If you are going to import a car, you pay approximately 200% of the car's value. Why, because you are not spending your money purchasing a car, built with CKD(completely knocked down parts) imported into the country of Thailand or any other asian country which gives jobs, taxes and brings in revenues for the country.

You are considered rich, if you can afford to import any car or motorcycle in asia over buying from a local dealer. By the way, there are dealers of Mini's in Pattaya and Bangkok. Go to the BMW dealer.

Also, depreciation in asia is not the same as the western world. Even used cars still warrant a lot of money especially European imports.

If you still have the money to burn, buy one from a dealer whether used or new and save yourself the heartache of gazillion papers and countless hours of bureaucracy that you will have to endure to bring that car over to drive with the top down.

OK, loss of income and a few other things etc. I wasn't trying to be too scientific.

I tell you this though. Try living without a car for a long time here in Pattaya, through the seasons, through the good and the bad and I swear this, if you rent a car for a week, you'll never go back to not having one again.

Life is just so much easier that the costs would have to be so much higher to have to worry about it.

I usually stay a month, and in hotels on or near the baht bus routes. Even still, I find there are times when it becomes difficult. Late night walks down Soi 5 after an evening in the Jazz Pitt, for example. I took Thai classes in a little soi near the bus station and had a long walk down the dusty track. Then two or sometimes 3 baht busses to get back. I hate the motorbike taxis and rarely use one. Wouldn't want to drive a rental car - risk too high. No way out that I can see.

I think that if you live here 12 months a year and can afford one, a car, pick up or whatever is a good idea. Just the flexibility to get out and about is great. Just think about not only getting out for a nightime drink, but also shopping and near area transportation.

Then think about getting around Thailand and exploring. I'm not on about driving to malaysia or that far but going to bangkok, Rayong, visa runs, Cha-Am, Issan etc.

I have lived here a couple of years now and manage quite well without a car or pickup. I do have a couple of motorbikes for getting about. I rent a car when I travel around Thailand.

Someone mentioned how convenient it was for going out for a drink... well I stopped drinking and driving here, too dangerous for me and others. At the moment I live pretty close to Pattaya... if I was out of town more a car/pickup would become obligatory. As it stands now, well it would just take too long to get any place... then where the hell can I park.

Fair point Jacko. Just a lot of guys don't want bikes either and using the bloody buses for non standard journeys is a pain in the ass.

I agree with the drink driving thing and the "where you live" argument. I advise people to rent on the outskirts of town (say Jomtien) which makes it easy to get into Pattaya and then see whether they can cope with the transport issues certainly before going past Sukhumvit etc.

I advise people to rent on the outskirts of town (say Jomtien) which makes it easy to get into Pattaya and then see whether they can cope with the transport issues certainly before going past Sukhumvit etc.

This is exactly why I live in View Talay. Easy to get back to at night - even with a drunk tg in tow.

Alan

I live on Siam Country Club Road (East Pattaya) beyond the cross roads to Crocodile Farm (near the reservoir. We have a taxi service to Sirkhumvit about every 15 minutes up till 6pm. It turns off Siam Country club at the cross roads and goes down Nabprabwan to Central Road and then along Sirkhumvit to Naklua.

When I first arrived with the family we did not have a car. We used taxis. I would not consider a motorbike in East Pattaya after dark. Some do but I was warned by the locals it is not safe.

You can get taxis outside the big supermarkets until they close. We used the Carrefor a lot (usually 200 to 150 to go back at night. They close about 11pm.

We now have a car. 4x4 Toyota - you need it from the state of the roads in rainy season. Makes life much easier. Now we do not have to question if we should go into town - just hop in the car. My Thai wife is learning to drive. So drinking may be less of a problem.

We bought new because we wanted a Fortuna and second hand are few are not much cheaper than new. Always get 1st class insurance. Mine was about 30K Baht.

Driving is not so difficult if you take it slowly at the start. I worry what it will be like driving in the UK again.

As mentioned before there may be more taxis as the East side is expanding fast and there are new roads being built.

You have a choice. Live near town and use taxis OR live further out and get a better quality of life for the family and drive.

I would not consider a motorbike in East Pattaya after dark. Some do but I was warned by the locals it is not safe.

Tel, a short question. Why not?

Tel, a short question. Why not?
May I answer...thank you.

Because the roads are not lit and full of ruddy great pot-holes. There are drunk people driving around in the night. I am currently rethinking my 2-bike lifestyle after being hit last night by some kid whizzing along with little regard for his or other's safety. Soi Nerm Plub Wan seems particularly bad when they all get out of the mosques...sunset. I feel you are deliberately 'buzzed' as a falang....you have to keep your elbows tucked in!