Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Where in the world to invest

I am thinking about retiring soon (within 12 months) and moving to LOS. I have no intention of returning to the UK, and was wondering whether anywhere within a couple of hours flying distance of BKK would be a good place to deposit my money, while I sort out what investments to make. Any suggestions?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Major banks in Australia are guaranteed by the government, as well as a few financial institutions. Currently, you can still get 6%

cheers

Rodney

Major banks in Australia are guaranteed by the government, as well as a few financial institutions. Currently, you can still get 6%

cheers

Rodney

So how has the Aussie Dollar done against the Baht lately ? :clap2

I am thinking about retiring soon (within 12 months) and moving to LOS. I have no intention of returning to the UK, and was wondering whether anywhere within a couple of hours flying distance of BKK would be a good place to deposit my money, while I sort out what investments to make. Any suggestions?
Why are you moving it out of the UK, particularly if you change the currency while Sterling is so weak? Offshore banks (Isle Of Man and Jersey) have accounts that can be in any major currency and can be controlled using interenet banking. Get yourself a Thai account for local use and you are set.

If you insist on moving your cash, Singapore and HSBC might be suitable, but what currency you go into.... who knows!

Perhaps you should seek professional help, rather than asking such an important question on a mongers board?
There is a lot of good advice comes forth from this board, and a few mongers might well be very experienced and knowledgeable. Trouble with a professional is they make money at it, for themselves, their advice is compromised by self interest. Edited by jacko

"There is a lot of good advice comes forth from this board, and a few mongers might well be very experienced and knowledgeable. Trouble with a professional is they make money at it, for themselves, their advice is compromised by self interest"

That's what I think too. There is a lot of common sense posted here and I prefer to have advice based on personal experience. If someone wants to recommend a professional to take advice from, that would be welcome too.

I want my money out of the UK for various reasons.

Someone told me that New Zealand had a very stable safe economy. Anybody care to comment?

There is a lot of good advice comes forth from this board, and a few mongers might well be very experienced and knowledgeable. Trouble with a professional is they make money at it, for themselves, their advice is compromised by self interest.

I agree with you up to a point. My first trip would probably not have been half as good as it was without the help and advice provided from this board.

However there are a few fictitious characters on here who take great delight in posting bad info and misdirections. I think seeking financial and or medical advice on a mongers board is ill advised but to each their own. It's just MHO as usual.

Yes it is a 'mongers' board, but that is not our profession, let us call it a hobby or lifestyle.

There are professionals here who offer their advice freely... Owen always makes good financial points, and there are a few MDs who put us right, even if only to tell us to see our doctor!.

For legal matters pertaining to LOS, Joekicker seems to be on the ball.

Go see Mr Nadel or Madoff if you prefer....

Are these waters any more shark infested, we who freely admit to our vices.

Edited by jacko

The members of this board have just as good chance of knowing about good investments as all of the financial wizards do. If you watch any of the CNBC shows, they have 4 geniuses and they all call the other guy a moron, it's only their picks that are on the money. None of them agree on squat.

As for me, I'm looking to Canada, AuzzieLand and Brazil. They have the resources to plunder which will be used to help China take over Asia.

When a US Prez gets elected, his boys prosper. Bush was oil. Clinton was prostitution., pretty much an open run for the money Don't know what B'Rack will do. I see a big rise in Black Entertainment and rebuilding in the innercity areas.

Africa is just too phucked up to take a chance on. The guys who dan't get the job done are running the show and the guys who can get the job done are being told to leave.

Shamas O'Dognasty

Gourmet Catering and

Septic Tank Cleaning

Just remember if you invest in another country's bank paper you get your money paid back in that country's paper.

So 10% in Buttfukistan migt sound great but you get Buttfuks back.

And higher the yield, higher the risk. Ther's no free lunch.

Right now Canadian banks are rated very highly as their boring, timid managers didn't engage in high-wire stunts like other "masters of the universe".

• 2 weeks later...

Where should one put one's money for safety?

These are bad times. They are times that somewhat probably render all of our experience nearly worthless.

1) "Things will get better. They always have after a bad time in the past."

2) "It's different this time. There are things happening that have never happened before."

True believers of 1) will pull out pages of historical graphs showing squiggly lines and how today matches them and they are therefore predictive. They will say that in ALL panics governments have stepped up and broken rules and broken laws and done whatever they could, regardless of who got hurt, in order to save the system.

True believers of 2) will push those graphs into the trash can and talk about how the planet's population has never before been this large and it has outstripped resources of all kinds -- not "merely" oil. They will also say that countries have never been like this before, with non native immigration that changes the nature of each country's populace.

Here's the really bad news: The truth is NOT somewhere in the middle. The truth is going to be one of those 2 items.

So, if you think everything will eventually right itself, then the sophisticated UK board members here who can tell you how to park your money in pounds sterling (or whatever) and the isle of this or isle of that banks are the guys to chat with. The pound and the USD will reassert their places at the top of the food chain.

If you think that a world without oil looks like the year 1890, but with net access and cable TV, then you have different thinking to do. Arab banks are NOT the answer, because if oil is running out, so is their cash influx. More likely the countries who have learned how to be neutral in all matters (Switzerland) may be a nice safe place to park.

My 2 satang:

I would avoid sterling. The UK was rescued by North Sea oil which is now running out. They also don't make much any more.

Financial services were a huge part of the economy (much bigger share than in the US) and they are in bad bad shape.

I don't really see sterling coming back to $2.00.

Oz seems like a place to look at for cash deposits - stable, transparent etc.

Where should one put one's money for safety?

These are bad times. They are times that somewhat probably render all of our experience nearly worthless.

1) "Things will get better. They always have after a bad time in the past."

2) "It's different this time. There are things happening that have never happened before."

True believers of 1) will pull out pages of historical graphs showing squiggly lines and how today matches them and they are therefore predictive. They will say that in ALL panics governments have stepped up and broken rules and broken laws and done whatever they could, regardless of who got hurt, in order to save the system.

True believers of 2) will push those graphs into the trash can and talk about how the planet's population has never before been this large and it has outstripped resources of all kinds -- not "merely" oil. They will also say that countries have never been like this before, with non native immigration that changes the nature of each country's populace.

Here's the really bad news: The truth is NOT somewhere in the middle. The truth is going to be one of those 2 items.

So, if you think everything will eventually right itself, then the sophisticated UK board members here who can tell you how to park your money in pounds sterling (or whatever) and the isle of this or isle of that banks are the guys to chat with. The pound and the USD will reassert their places at the top of the food chain.

If you think that a world without oil looks like the year 1890, but with net access and cable TV, then you have different thinking to do. Arab banks are NOT the answer, because if oil is running out, so is their cash influx. More likely the countries who have learned how to be neutral in all matters (Switzerland) may be a nice safe place to park.

I don't agree that it's now an either/or situation. Surely it's not a black or white issue. Why all the pessimism?

How about this. We're at choice #1, but on our way to choice #2, over time. But it won't happen overnight and it might not happen anytime soon. Let's say they manage to patch things up a bit and the current financial institutions emerge intact, but severely damaged. Some players fall by the wayside, others come in to take their place. Maybe we'll see hyperinflation, or maybe we'll just see a gradual erosion of the purchasing power of some of the currencies currently being inflated through central bank actions. We experience a prolonged recession. Perhaps, in 15-20 years, we'll have another crisis but by then, the world population is even bigger and the problems more severe.

In short, I think we muddle through for a while. Of course, some sort of natural disaster or world wide plague might radically alter the outcome. Who knows?

J

Hi, I am an Englishman. My money is in UK, and I cannot see me moving it, in the foreseeable future. I own two properties here in Ubon, and have an account with the Bangkok Bank - but is not very good if you buy things via paypal, or by post. Unfortunately, You can NEVER become a Citizen here, if you live to be 100.. I see someone mention that Oil may run out. Never. USA, import oil, to conserve their own - so when appropriate, they can pump more, and make a huge profit. they do not save fuel, do they? As for them helping the UK? yes, like they did with Lease Lend, during the war. But UK have had to repay them, Thats why UK economy, has been so slow. Took till the 80's to finish paying, in mrs Thatcher's reign. Do think before you move it. There is talk, of stoppinmg payment of pensions, to NON-RESIDENTS! Now that is important to us. If you wish to chat, I have Skype Phone, and land line. i am 78, so have good background.. Don

Hi, I am an Englishman. My money is in UK, and I cannot see me moving it, in the foreseeable future. I own two properties here in Ubon, and have an account with the Bangkok Bank - but is not very good if you buy things via paypal, or by post. Unfortunately, You can NEVER become a Citizen here, if you live to be 100.. I see someone mention that Oil may run out. Never. USA, import oil, to conserve their own - so when appropriate, they can pump more, and make a huge profit. they do not save fuel, do they? As for them helping the UK? yes, like they did with Lease Lend, during the war. But UK have had to repay them, Thats why UK economy, has been so slow. Took till the 80's to finish paying, in mrs Thatcher's reign. Do think before you move it. There is talk, of stoppinmg payment of pensions, to NON-RESIDENTS! Now that is important to us. If you wish to chat, I have Skype Phone, and land line. i am 78, so have good background.. Don
Well you sound well set up, when you thinking of retiring?

Well, Jacko! Very very funny - but I am, and I did - way back in 1982, at the age of 52. Cheers! (Malt Whisky only) Thanks. Don :party :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :drunk :gulp :clap1

Just remember if you invest in another country's bank paper you get your money paid back in that country's paper.

Right now Canadian banks are rated very highly as their boring, timid managers didn't engage in high-wire stunts like other "masters of the universe".

I agree with JohnnyK, Canadian banks are looking very good. To the OP do your own research and spread your assets around.

I hear Zimbabwe is the next safe haven for your money.

Nowhere is immune from the current recession.

Alan

Actually, I think Zimbabwe now uses US dollars, or at least that's one of the currencies that's recognized there.

Did anyone see the news about the possible devaluation of the Singapore dollar? I wonder if that'll start a trend in Asia?

J

now I have you and picoman to make me laugh!

How many Buttfucks to the dollar? I thought my ex-wife cornered those in the divorce.

Actually, I think Zimbabwe now uses US dollars, or at least that's one of the currencies that's recognized there.

Did anyone see the news about the possible devaluation of the Singapore dollar? I wonder if that'll start a trend in Asia?

J

I just returned from Singapore and found it pretty expensive.

As a tourist, I will convert to another currency....for Thai baht, multiply by about 25.

For £ divide by 2.

It looked worse in baht as you compare to Thai prices.....

£ didn't make me feel good either. They are having problems there with falling tourist numbers and manufacturing laying people off. It has always been overpriced and devaluation makes sense.

Edited by jacko
  • 2 weeks later...

The problem with seeking a country who has a high return is that there currency is likely to depreciate offsetting the gains you made from interest income. The main thing is safety. Since you are from the UK why not keep the majority of your money there as well as opening an account in Thailand with enough money for your short term needs, say 3mos. to a year. Or say fuck all and annuatize everything so that you get income for life. Might wait til interest rates increase for that though.

how well off are you? if you don't need the interest then how about premium bonds? 100% safe and possibility of a good win.good place to store your cash for a while to see which way the wind blows.