Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

BKK flights £399 quantas Ba partnership

I have been looking at the Premium economy prices for May,

Two days ago it was £1067.50 and today its £648.50 for the same flight,

Now thats getting close to being a fair price :D

I am trying to get a good deal Bkk-LHR-BKK jack, but they don't seem to exist. :banghead

Agree the price differential when flying in "reverse" is excessive.

Board members are stating the exchange rate is the reason but thats utter bollacks.

Long timers of the Pattaya scene will remember the exchange rate in the mid 30 's re Sterling/Baht and one way tickets home I purchased on 3 occasions (due as usual to not returning home on scheduled flight) were no more than 190 sterling.

There was no price differential on flights with difference being 5% at most either cheaper or more expensive.

Editions of Lonely Planet always stated buy a one way ticket to Bangkok as a one way ticket home would be very cheap

Edited by Chivas
Agree the price differential when flying in "reverse" is excessive.

Board members are stating the exchange rate is the reason but thats utter bollacks.

Flight prices ex BKK haven't changed that much in the last 15 months. It cost around 35k baht then, the same as it does today. The difference between then and now is that 35 k baht is now the equivalent of 700 quid compared to 500 quid 15 months ago ago.

Yeah Chivas, I also think the exchange rate is at least a component of the price differential. I was looking at prices from each end and they seem to have held them at the same currency levels as some years back. ie A ticket LOS-LHR-BKK is still as it was a year ago in Thai baht. (And effectively looking expensive to someone who holds sterling). You would think that BA, who needs to make £, could drop their prices in Baht easily... but something seems to hold them back. I screwed up, getting a one-way award ticket UK-LOS, to re-align myself to where I lived, but my next trip home will cost me dear, particularly as I like business class (I don't count Jet or Air AsiaX).

On our currency subject, the £ is expected to strenthen v dollar to 1.50 over next few weeks, and the $ lose a bit of ground as the Obama honeymoon period ends. Recovery indicators would impact that though.

I got so peed off with trying to get a good deal ex BKK.

It was either air Asia ex KUL with all the xtras; baggage- meal- comfort kit.... plus the BKK-KUL-BKK leg.

Air Lanka with a 10 hour conex time in CMB each way...

I have booked Si on BA BKK-LHR-BKK. Fare 23650bht + 13370bht taxes, fuel- just over 37,000bht. as you say tom £550 a year ago, now over 700. ( I need a lay down in a dark room ) :bj2

Yeh it's more than I wanted to pay, but isn't everything ? She doesn't have to change aircraft in some foreign airport and I don't have to drive to Stanstead to meet her. T4 LHR, is about 8 minutes from my Door.

I think I got today's 49.49bht rate. She is arriving 10 Apr- Good Friday. I haven't seen her for 11 months so it will be for me. :bj2

13370bht taxes etc. No wonder the Government want a third runway at LHR :bj2

I got so peed off with trying to get a good deal ex BKK.

It was either air Asia ex KUL with all the xtras; baggage- meal- comfort kit.... plus the BKK-KUL-BKK leg.

Air Lanka with a 10 hour conex time in CMB each way...

I have booked Si on BA BKK-LHR-BKK. Fare 23650bht + 13370bht taxes, fuel- just over 37,000bht. as you say tom £550 a year ago, now over 700. ( I need a lay down in a dark room ) :bj2

Yeh it's more than I wanted to pay, but isn't everything ? She doesn't have to change aircraft in some foreign airport and I don't have to drive to Stanstead to meet her. T4 LHR, is about 8 minutes from my Door.

I think I got today's 49.49bht rate. She is arriving 10 Apr- Good Friday. I haven't seen her for 11 months so it will be for me. :bj2

13370bht taxes etc. No wonder the Government want a third runway at LHR :bj2

You did pick an expensive period flying over Easter. I double checked that the BA flights are still using T4, and they are. I thought there was a plan to move to an upgraded T3 some time this year.
Yeah Chivas, I also think the exchange rate is at least a component of the price differential. I was looking at prices from each end and they seem to have held them at the same currency levels as some years back. ie A ticket LOS-LHR-BKK is still as it was a year ago in Thai baht. (And effectively looking expensive to someone who holds sterling). You would think that BA, who needs to make £, could drop their prices in Baht easily... but something seems to hold them back. I screwed up, getting a one-way award ticket UK-LOS, to re-align myself to where I lived, but my next trip home will cost me dear, particularly as I like business class (I don't count Jet or Air AsiaX).

On our currency subject, the £ is expected to strenthen v dollar to 1.50 over next few weeks, and the $ lose a bit of ground as the Obama honeymoon period ends. Recovery indicators would impact that though.

Yes watching the financial channels yesterday back here in self imposed exile in the Uk 3 "experts" from both side of the pond pointed to indicators that the bottom had been reached in troubled banking shares and that an end to the recession could well end in 2009.

Watch sterling rebound over next 1-2 months.

Edited by Chivas
You did pick an expensive period flying over Easter. I double checked that the BA flights are still using T4, and they are. I thought there was a plan to move to an upgraded T3 some time this year.

I'll check it isn't T5 nearer the time. That is about a 15 min drive. I haven't been there yet. Have to do a dummy run.

Easter is dearer, but her visa has to be in use before 25Apr. She will be here 'til 22Aug. Which means, the kitchen I promised to decorate 2 years ago will have to be done, the car cleaned out, to get rid of Herbert's muddy paw prints and nose marks on the windows. The Thai house in the garden cleaned out, space made in the wardrobes........ sod it, it will be like being married again ! :D Only for a few months though, I can put up with that. :clueless

Hi,

Wish I had some Thai lady visiting me. :bigsmile:

I'll check it isn't T5 nearer the time. That is about a 15 min drive. I haven't been there yet. Have to do a dummy run.

Easter is dearer, but her visa has to be in use before 25Apr. She will be here 'til 22Aug. Which means, the kitchen I promised to decorate 2 years ago will have to be done, the car cleaned out, to get rid of Herbert's muddy paw prints and nose marks on the windows. The Thai house in the garden cleaned out, space made in the wardrobes........ sod it, it will be like being married again ! :D Only for a few months though, I can put up with that. :lovee

No, I said the plan as I knew it was that Bangkok/ Sydney and Singapore flights would ultimately move to T3, not T5. I checked your date and T4 was still quoted.

Let me know if you know different. I might just reconsider BA/Heathrow if my domestic and Bangkok flights both use T5, that would be easy.

No, sod it, it's still BA and LHR, they would manage to make the experience miserable somehow.

Edited by jacko

What with BA operating from 3 terminals- code shares and what have you, no wonder people avoid the place.

When I worked there, the plan was to make T3 a 'Star Alliance' Term.' What held it up, was getting the software to cope with all the airlines systems at each check in desk. Great idea to be able to check in at any desk for any flight, but it ain't that simple. That was 5 years ago though.

BA was one of the first airlines to drop wages for new staff some years back. They are paying the price for that now. Cheap labour, the curse of the country. :lovee

• 4 weeks later...

i almost crapped my pants before i realized you were referring to Sterling rather than dollars..

I think I got today's 49.49bht rate. She is arriving 10 Apr- Good Friday. I haven't seen her for 11 months so it will be for me.