Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Ordering off the internet and shipping to Thailand

I've been wondering if anyone has ordered anything off the internet overseas and had it shipped here.

Can it be done? What can be received?

I'm thinking of some computer equipment I can't get here and/or some tinned sardines in olive oil from someplace like amazon.com.

Over 5 years here, and I've never tried it.

I'm sure you can do it, probably through an outfit like CDW, but since it's computer equipment you're talking about you might get hit with some duties or tariffs on top of everything else.

Just did a test purchase of a webcam from amazon. It was $74.99 for the webcam and $67.01 shipping to Thailand, not including any potential duties.

Ouch.

I've been wondering if anyone has ordered anything off the internet overseas and had it shipped here.

I'm thinking of some computer equipment I can't get here and/or some tinned sardines in olive oil from someplace like amazon.com.

Martin,

there's a lot of comments and experiences about this on Thai Visa .... kept getting in the way when I was trying to work out my import possibilities for moving

Cheers 2SS :rolleyes::

So why is there a problem in getting tinned sardines in olive oil ? What is the problem with such a common commodity ? :rolleyes:

Edited by N3RGT
So why is there a problem in getting tinned sardines in olive oil ? What is the problem with such a common commodity ? :rolleyes:

Haven't you been reading the Canned Red Salmon thread? :allright

Haven't you been reading the Canned Red Salmon thread? :rolleyes:

Obviously not...... but you know, I just knew I'd be sticking my head over the parapet ! :rolleyes:

EDIT: Have now but that still doesn't answer the question. Let's hope Villa remembers to bring you a tin or two . Wonder what they will look like when his luggage passes thru the X Ray machine ? :rolleyes:

Edited by N3RGT

My little brother used to have an Ebay store, and once in a while someone from Thailand would order something. Often, the shipping costs were almost as much as the cost of the item. And that didn't include the customs hassle.

Never tried it although my neighbour says he has without problem.

And of course DHL seem to get things to me OK.

Since I do a UK trip a couple of times a year, I have stuff sent to a relatives house and pick it up myself.

I'll pop into Morissons for some tinned red salmon too!

Many times, often from Amazon. The shipping, you just have to grin and bear it, but I've always taken the "take your time" offer. When I really can't get it, and I forget to pigeon it, I order it. I've got everything, every time.

There *is* a potential worry about customs. It happens, but I've been lucky so far, maybe because I look after my postman at New Year's, who knows? If customs takes it, you WILL go to the customs office (damned if I know how THAT applies in Pattaya; it's possible you'd go to Bangkok -- the post office has its own customs office) and you WILL pay ransom. So figure that in your budget.

Most of the stuff I order is films, music, books and like that - which may help me "bypass" customs also. But I've ordered small food stuff a couple of times, some baby-tending gear like Gerbers and so on.

Many times, often from Amazon. The shipping, you just have to grin and bear it, but I've always taken the "take your time" offer. When I really can't get it, and I forget to pigeon it, I order it. I've got everything, every time.

There *is* a potential worry about customs. It happens, but I've been lucky so far, maybe because I look after my postman at New Year's, who knows? If customs takes it, you WILL go to the customs office (damned if I know how THAT applies in Pattaya; it's possible you'd go to Bangkok -- the post office has its own customs office) and you WILL pay ransom. So figure that in your budget.

Most of the stuff I order is films, music, books and like that - which may help me "bypass" customs also. But I've ordered small food stuff a couple of times, some baby-tending gear like Gerbers and so on.

Happened to me about 8 years ago. My family shipped some stuff over to us around Christmas time. A suit case full of gifts. Got the call from customs. They wanted to charge me $1,200 baht import duty for a bag of Dorrito corn chips. I told them they could keep them, and took the rest of the stuff.

Two years ago, once again Christmas gifts got snagged by customs. This time, they wanted 2,500 baht, because the little Barbie Doll make up kit for my daughter had lip stick and nail polish in it. I said, "you can keep it if you want, just send the rest of the stuff on down." Next day everything was delivered, including the make up kit.

If customs gets their grubby hands on it, you can be sure they will try to extort money from you. Sure roy pa cent!

I've just ordered some PC cards on Ebay where they ship from either HK or China. Will keep you posted if anything actually arrives.

I've just ordered some PC cards on Ebay where they ship from either HK or China. Will keep you posted if anything actually arrives.

I'll be interested in how that works out.

I looked at this from within and also from outside Thailand and sending some things over. I only have experience from Singapore and the UK to recount though but many different items.

From Singapore, all was fine. No special post or courier. All arrived with no issues or requests for payment.

From the UK, varied results. When posted with a courier such as Fed Ex, UPS, Parcel Force etc. it raises flags. Documents and paperwork including quasi books and manuals has all flown through. When bought direct, the cost of the shipping has been added to the value of the item for customs for Fex Ex stuff to Pattaya. Some Royal Mail parcels went missing from Banglamung Post Office though they were recorded in the log. They were never delivered and I was told they had been returned to sender. I knew that no return address was listed. They just lied. They had obviously been opened and stolen.

Some regular small packet (under 2.0kg) airmail stuff seems to fly through unnoticed either to Pattaya or up country to Buriram. Quite swift as well with a post to delivery of only 4 days last time and this is no expedited service. Brown paper or cardboard packaging and handwritten names in Thai.

In summary, I would not let someone post it directly with a courier as it seems to be a red flag to a bull. Making up a simple packet and paying for it that way seems fine. For heavy but durable stuff then you have surface mail as well for much cheaper prices. From the UK, 2.0kg is £23.26 with 1kg just about half that.

Some baby presents flew through even though they were packaged in Amazon sleeves. I use Fed Ex for documents but general airmail with lots of tape for other stuff. Too much risk using couriers for goods.

MM,

I coming over in March maybe earlier if CheshireTom coughs up airline tickets. 2guns PM me what you need and I'll bring it over.

I saw a pretty large selection of tinned Sardines this morning at the grociery store across the street. I will have a look next time (I don't personally eat the smelly fuckers), and if there are some in olive oil, I will bring you some in a few weeks. :D

Would it not be safer and cheaper to send it to a friends home in the US and have them bring it over when they next come to Pattaya?

P.S. Dont order any knuckle dusters or boxing gloves for dusa to bring, you know he likes to use them on the old dogs he slaps around

I have magnum XL condoms shipped in from the internet. Can't find them here. Not had any problems, yet. I do have a friend that is a big guy, he can't find underwear to fit him here. He ordered some online and customs charged him as much as they cost, plus the shipping. I guess it's a hit or miss.

In 2008 bought a vid card off of Ebay (I was desparate and Dell let me down.....long story) and had it sent to Post Office (Nongprue?). Shipping cost was $35 (insured) for a $350 item. Arrived with no problems.

I always shipped items from the US to Thailand via priority mail

flat rate box...Took 6-10 bus days. Larg box was $55 and could put

up to 75lbs in it. Med box was $41 and could put up to 20lbs in it. Now these

boxes ain't that large so dont think you could actually stuff 75 lbs into a large box.

They always made it through fine.....

I always shipped items from the US to Thailand via priority mail

flat rate box...Took 6-10 bus days. Larg box was $55 and could put

up to 75lbs in it. Med box was $41 and could put up to 20lbs in it. Now these

boxes ain't that large so dont think you could actually stuff 75 lbs into a large box.

They always made it through fine.....

Were those shipments from an internet goods seller, e.g. amazon, ebay, etc, or private shipment where you could specify shipping method?

I bought some computer equipment 2 years ago from China, got stung the TOTAL cost again for import duty on arrival of the goods, I had to pay it or lose it :allright

I thought that imports from China to Thailand are duty and tax free? Anybody got concrete info?

I thought that imports from China to Thailand are duty and tax free? Anybody got concrete info?
Only been in effect 11 days... 1luv

Ive purchased are fair whack of stuff from ebay.com.au and had it delivered standard Aus post, never had any isses with delivery.

As for Sardines in olive oil, why not just buy em at Carrefour, I bought a few yesterday.....sardines on toast yummy yummy yummy.