Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

$45 now for carry-on bags

(CNN) -- With many airlines now charging a fee for checked luggage, the next step had to come sometime: A carrier asking passengers to pay for the privilege of bringing carry-on bags on board.

Well, that time is here.

Spirit Airlines announced Tuesday that it will charge its customers $20 to $45 for items they place in the overhead bins.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/04/06/spiri...on.fees/?hpt=T2

"Just how much more can airline travel suck?" you were asking yourself.

Well, progress marches on... :moon

"Just how much more can airline travel suck?" you were asking yourself.

Well, progress marches on... :moon

I wouldn't be surprised if they started charging to use the toilets. Toilet paper extra.

It is all part of the stupidity ...Flights for a $... mentality.

Budget Airlines, first meals, then drinks, then seat allocations and baggage handling all got moved to 'extras'.

It is a form of surcharge that is added at the airport, that was outlawed after the debacles of fuel surcharges at the airport (when you have little optiion), way back in the 70s (?) Check-in bags charged for, so everyone was carrying on bloody great rollers like in the USA and generally turning flying into a misery. Now to use the overheads a charge, lots of people will look to use under the seat or keep baggage on the lap.

I loved Budget carriers when they first started, especially Air Asia, quick trips to Bali and Hong Kong at reasonable prices. But buying a ticket and controlling all the options so that I don't get gouged at the airport is getting harder.

Edited by jacko
I wouldn't be surprised if they started charging to use the toilets. Toilet paper extra.

Ryanair said they were considering doing that.

As for overhead bags, that is just stupid. For sure their is a weight but they don't kid any one when they'll let a 120kg guy pay $19.99 and then charge £39.99 for his 5kg bag.

Checked luggage yes, but not carry on as you can hardly travel without it.

As for overhead bags, that is just stupid. For sure their is a weight but they don't kid any one when they'll let a 120kg guy pay $19.99 and then charge £39.99 for his 5kg bag.

they are taking the piss. I would get myself one of those big fishing jackets with about 20 pockets and fill up everyone of them with personal effects. I would then wait until I was the last person to embark and then leave a big steaming jobby on the one of the rear seats.

they are taking the piss. I would get myself one of those big fishing jackets with about 20 pockets and fill up everyone of them with personal effects. I would then wait until I was the last person to embark and then leave a big steaming jobby on the one of the rear seats.
I am thinking airport security would be wanting to get to know you intimately.

But you might like that.... :D

They should start by enforcing the one carry-on per passenger rule. They could charge extra for the additional carry-on items. This would target the true abusers of carry-on privleges. These new rules still would allow me to put my back-pack under the seat in front of me without additional charge.

They should start by enforcing the one carry-on per passenger rule. They could charge extra for the additional carry-on items. This would target the true abusers of carry-on privleges. These new rules still would allow me to put my back-pack under the seat in front of me without additional charge.

Thai Air Asia were announcing on their flights last month that they were going to start rigorously enforcing the 1 carry-on bag (weight/size) rules from 1 April. I blame the fuckers who thought they were being clever by taking the piss with their carry-on bags.

Good. I hate those people with several cases that take ages to put them all in the overhead lockers, and then I can't get my laptop case in :devil Put your feckin luggage in the hold, like your meant to.

Sorry but I disagree there.

Why would you need one (or several) small bags with you for an air travel ? I only keep with me a small "pocket" with my passport, tickets, pens, sleeping pills and a book. Small enough to slip it in the back-sit pocket. I do not see what I could need else during a flight ?

I am certain than more than 90% of said "carry on" stay in overhead lockers during all the flight and are here only because people do not want to put them as checked-bag, often thinking they could win 5 minutes to go out the airport.

I do think that boarding would be a lot easier if the "1 baggage max by passenger" and the "max authorized size by bag" were fully respected.

I wish they would ban backpacks. Almost every segment I fly I get bang by a packpack as I sent in an aisle seat and many of those with packpacks don't realize that when they turn their body the backpack stick out and will wack anyone in its path.

Ryanair said today they are reconsidering a pay toilet for flights under 1 hour:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/ite...k=67634293.blog

You should hear the uproar here in south Florida-Spirit is based about 5 miles from here and the press is having a field day with them.

Sorry but I disagree there.

Why would you need one (or several) small bags with you for an air travel ? I only keep with me a small "pocket" with my passport, tickets, pens, sleeping pills and a book. Small enough to slip it in the back-sit pocket. I do not see what I could need else during a flight ?

I am certain than more than 90% of said "carry on" stay in overhead lockers during all the flight and are here only because people do not want to put them as checked-bag, often thinking they could win 5 minutes to go out the airport.

I do think that boarding would be a lot easier if the "1 baggage max by passenger" and the "max authorized size by bag" were fully respected.

Well I travel with my laptop..... I don't use it en-route but I certainly don't want it checked in. I also take a 'change of clothes', hot and sticky at one end, cold and wet at the other. I doubt I would be able to change clothes at the other end for shivering!

There are also exceptions, those travelling with small children.

My backpack with computer, change of clothes, book, travel documents and valuables would likely not fit under the seat infronnt in economy. Often overhead boxes are full as many travel even heavier than me. Buy duty free and now you have 2 bags. The airlines must be under pressure from King Power to have a relaxed attitude.

Edited by jacko
Ryanair said today they are reconsidering a pay toilet for flights under 1 hour:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/ite...k=67634293.blog

You should hear the uproar here in south Florida-Spirit is based about 5 miles from here and the press is having a field day with them.

I have flown Spirit to Costa Rica. They are a truly half ass organization with a deep disdain for their customers. Hopefully they will go out of business soon. When flying to CR, they wanted to charge me $120 extra for my body board. It weighs about 6 pds. and is smaller than most carry on luggage. I told the customer service person this was not acceptable for several reasons.

1) She could not tell me where the rate came from.

2) The supposed extra rate is not posted as required by the LVCA (Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority). If I had to call the airport representative for LVCA, I would be happy to do so.

These guys have an ungodly amount of power and can fine an airline quite a few thousand dollars for practices like that. Possibly ban them from the airport.

The supervisor did not want that so we settled on no extra charge. I did call after I got home to LVCA. They said they were hoping to cancel Spirits contract with the airport by fall and replace them with another carrier. They received more complaints per month about Spirit (175) than any other airline in the history of the airport.

I have flown Spirit to Costa Rica. They are a truly half ass organization with a deep disdain for their customers. Hopefully they will go out of business soon. When flying to CR, they wanted to charge me $120 extra for my body board. It weighs about 6 pds. and is smaller than most carry on luggage. I told the customer service person this was not acceptable for several reasons.

1) She could not tell me where the rate came from.

2) The supposed extra rate is not posted as required by the LVCA (Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority). If I had to call the airport representative for LVCA, I would be happy to do so.

These guys have an ungodly amount of power and can fine an airline quite a few thousand dollars for practices like that. Possibly ban them from the airport.

The supervisor did not want that so we settled on no extra charge. I did call after I got home to LVCA. They said they were hoping to cancel Spirits contract with the airport by fall and replace them with another carrier. They received more complaints per month about Spirit (175) than any other airline in the history of the airport.

You were charged for a full size surfboard.

BIGDUSA...was spot on.....

breaking news

"""Ryanair’s proposal to introduce a £1 toilet charge is not only legal; it is being taken seriously by pilots.

The airline’s chief executive, Michael O’Leary, announced this morning that the carrier is looking into fitting coin slots to the toilet doors of its aircraft. Passengers would have to pay £1 to use the loo. """

""""

A spokesman told Times Online: “The situation is that there is no legal requirement for an aircraft to have a toilet onboard, so if an airline does have a toilet they can charge to use it. """

shitty news

Change will be available at check-in so plan ahead.

(On a flight between say the UK and Spain, will the toilet accept Euros?)

(How about London to Geneva where Swiss Francs will be in the pockets)

On board £1 coins will be available for £1.25, please have the correct change. :D

s_OBESE_MAN_ON_AMERICAN_AIRLINES_large.jpg

I think this guy should pay a little extra :D

Yeah, we did that already!
  • 2 weeks later...
they are taking the piss. I would get myself one of those big fishing jackets with about 20 pockets and fill up everyone of them with personal effects.

:beer tight bastard, no wonder you never bought a drink for the right answer about the kkk!!!!! :beer

I would then wait until I was the last person to embark and then leave a big steaming jobby on the one of the rear seats.

:D how do you leave a big steamer on the seat before you EMBARK then Mr P

i will buy a cold beer for the first correct answer!!!!! :beer

What shits me is that the airlines persist in asking passengers in the front rows board first. So on they go and talk a lifetime to put their crap in the overhead locker whilst the rest of the passengers wait unpatiently to get past. When will they realise that it would be better to board the passengers in the back rows first so everyone can get to their seats without waiting for these imbeciles.

I will now get down off my soapbox. :D

Updated message from Spirit Airlines CEO about the carry-on crisis (their word,crisis)

We would like to clarify something from the e-mail sent on April 13, 2010:

We have introduced PENNY PLUS™ fares available to our $9 Fare Club members*** that are 1¢ each way, based on roundtrip purchase, plus fuel, taxes and fees*.

To our valued customers,

We have all seen how carry-on baggage has gotten out of control. Longer security lines and boarding process, injuries due to overcrowded overhead bins, delayed flights and passenger frustration has become commonplace.

At Spirit, we are always looking for new ways to save you money and improve the customer experience. We recently announced our latest innovation, which is designed to relieve the carry-on crisis, saving you time and money.

Our solution to the carry-on crisis:

Lowered fares

Lower checked bag fees

Give everyone a free personal item allowance

Allow customers to carry on an additional bag for a fee and give them

priority boarding so they have time and space to stow their extra bag

Everyone Wins!

We expect total prices to be lower

Security lines will move faster

The boarding process will be smoother

Deplaning will be faster

Passenger and employee safety is improved with less over-stuffed bins

What to expect for travel after August 1st:

We have introduced PENNY PLUS™ fares available to our $9 Fare Club members*** that are 1¢ each way, based on roundtrip purchase, plus fuel, taxes and fees*.

These are just a few examples of the large selection of PENNY PLUS* fares that are only available for $9 Fare Club members. Not a member? Click here to join now!

Ticket

Fuel

Taxes & Fees

Total

Atlanta – Myrtle Beach

$12.68**

$18.70

$31.39* E/W

Boston – Myrtle Beach

$28.38**

$18.70

$47.09* E/W

Detroit – Fort Lauderdale

$37.56**

$18.70

$56.27* E/W

Detroit – Las Vegas

$55.82**

$18.70

$74.53* E/W

We have lowered checked bag fees for $9 Fare Club members. A family of four checking four bags round-trip will save $80. Double the cost of being a $9 Fare Club member. Another reason to join now. Click here to join.

You can bring a FREE personal item onboard, such as a purse, briefcase, backpack or laptop computer. Other exceptions are: assistive devices, medicine, umbrella, outer garments (coats, hats, wraps), camera, car seat/stroller, infant diaper bag, reading material for the flight, or food for immediate consumption.

If you choose to bring an extra carry-on bag, you may do so for $20 if purchased online as a $9 Fare Club member or $30 online, at the airport ticket counter or kiosk for non-members. If you choose to wait until the gate to pay, the fee will be $45 which is not preferred since it will slow the boarding process.

Shorter, faster security and boarding lines. Less frustration while boarding and deplaning. Fewer delays.

Happier customers that pay less!

See you onboard soon! We’ll keep working to improve your experience and lower your fare.

Ben Baldanza

President and Chief Executive Officer

Spirit Airlines