Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Heartless or just Tight fisted ?

I was at a bar in Pattaya and my long stayer had gone to the toilet, anyway some lady came around selling lottery tickets for orphans. tickets and everything looked legit so i bought 200 b worth, when the girl returned i showed her the ticket and she said 'up to you'. she didn't look that happy,

term: There are ALMOST no legal lotteries apart from the government lottery. There are very rare ones for specific causes with specific sponsors. There are all kinds of illegal lotteries, but virtually none of them have tickets or salesmen in the bars. Probably you got took.

The good news is that if you buy a lottery ticket anywhere, anytime, you probably got took - a tax on stupid people, they say. I'm not that harsh, but it IS a tax.

term: There are ALMOST no legal lotteries apart from the government lottery. There are very rare ones for specific causes with specific sponsors. There are all kinds of illegal lotteries, but virtually none of them have tickets or salesmen in the bars. Probably you got took.

The good news is that if you buy a lottery ticket anywhere, anytime, you probably got took - a tax on stupid people, they say. I'm not that harsh, but it IS a tax.

i meant raffle tickets, but then you will say the same thing and i am still a cunt, but i can live with that.

This is not exactly right. Thais give VERY generously.....

Well I know my TGF is capable of charitable acts.... but she learned them from the farangs at the school she attends.

I stand by the impression I have, perhaps the Thai circles I move in have less money...

ANd what little they have is preferably spent on a lottery ticket than given to a beggar....

If they do give, for sure they are hoping for something back... the merit system.

Exactly. Appeals for donations and collection points had been underway for several weeks before the OP got involved. Quite why anybody would expect the TGs to contribute anything to some anonymous village in Khorat when their own homes/villages in Roi-et or wherever had probably been devastated is beyond me.

Point taken, unless it affects you or your family members, dont give a penny.

If they do give, for sure they are hoping for something back... the merit system.

Whereas the OP and the other 6.4 billion of us do not???? As the lieutenant in Good Morning Vietnam put it: "I recognise humour. Humour is good. Humour is good...."

Were you afraid to read that article documenting a bit of the flood aid? The guy in this news magazine cover photo, as you know, is the top TV newsman. He's Superman (in the article) because he was one of the out-front leaders raising aid.

sorayuthsuperman.jpg

Edited by joekicker
Whereas the OP and the other 6.4 billion of us do not????

Yes.... if I give it is not with the specific aim of bringing good fortune upon myself....

Joe, your rose tinted glasses are out of fashion for the modern LOS and switchblades.

Edited by jacko
Point taken, unless it affects you or your family members, dont give a penny.

Not quite. If it does affect you and/or your family/community, make sure you have your priorities in order.

What was so special about your project anyway? Why did you select a particular village in Khorat?

Edited by CheshireTom
Yes.... if I give it is not with the specific aim of bringing good fortune upon myself....

You and three other people, then. Truly, jacko: Almost everyone expects a thanks. Some even start posts to write in forums about it. And if you don't give because it makes YOU feel good about the giving, then I suspect you're unique.

You and three other people, then. Truly, jacko: Almost everyone expects a thanks. Some even start posts to write in forums about it. And if you don't give because it makes YOU feel good about the giving, then I suspect you're unique.

No need to get smart ass Joe, too early for all that shit.

Thais do not give purely to receive 'thanks'.... it is intrinsic in their concept of merit and luck.

Perhaps I accede to giving to avoid embarrassment now and again.....

Thais do not give purely to receive 'thanks'.... it is intrinsic in their concept of merit and luck.

This is not in dispute, nor did I even mention it after you did, because it is not controversial. What I said is that (pretty well) everyone who gives charity is expecting something back, if only the warm-hearted feeling of helping. The Thais (and other Buddhists) have this merit idea, and probably had it before the Church of England invented it for the Sunday pass-the-plate exercise, but it's the same thing. And Muslims have mandatory charity. And Americans love to feel they are the biggest-hearted people in the world and are hurt when they go unthanked. The politicians expect your vote. The rich expect a tax break. "Superman" there on the magazine expects more viewers. As Yul Brynner put it, "et cetera, et cetera, et cetera''.

And to put it another way: I do not dispute for a millisecond that Thais expect something back. I'm saying that so does everyone. The OP does or we wouldn't have this thread. For example.

BTW, I wasn't being smartaxx. You should know that.

And to put it another way: I do not dispute for a millisecond that Thais expect something back. I'm saying that so does everyone. The OP does or we wouldn't have this thread. For example.

Joe, although you may think you do, I do not believe you know what everyone thinks nor why everyone does things.

You try to speak for everyone .......

This is not in dispute, nor did I even mention it after you did, because it is not controversial. What I said is that (pretty well) everyone who gives charity is expecting something back, if only the warm-hearted feeling of helping. The Thais (and other Buddhists) have this merit idea, and probably had it before the Church of England invented it for the Sunday pass-the-plate exercise, but it's the same thing. And Muslims have mandatory charity. And Americans love to feel they are the biggest-hearted people in the world and are hurt when they go unthanked. The politicians expect your vote. The rich expect a tax break. "Superman" there on the magazine expects more viewers. As Yul Brynner put it, "et cetera, et cetera, et cetera''.

Well considering that Buddha was around about 500 yrs before christianity I would say the merit/karma/giving idea was theirs before the Church of England...

As to giving to charities and doing good for others. I would say why is it necessary to post what you do or the reactions that you received/perceived? Not a dig at the OP but if you wish to help people then do so from the heart and never ever expect anything in return......I am glad the OP tried to help out but also realize that not everyone

donates to every charity that is in existence....We never know what others have done or where they have contributed....I would venture to say

that lots of girls sent home what they could to their family, personal village, etc.. but who really knows.....

There are lots of celebrations, events where thais give generously....There are the ceremonies where money is donated to the local school (money tree) same thing

with giving money to the local temple, the giving of alms to the monks every morning, donations to other temples, etc......All done anonymously. Everyone gives in their own way and own custom...

Just my two satang.

Edited by packhike
Joe, although you may think you do, I do not believe you know what everyone thinks nor why everyone does things.

You try to speak for everyone .......

sigh. jacko - that is EXACTLY why I opted you out. Exactly. And for writing "Almost everyone expects a thanks," I got reamed by you for being smartaxx. And for NOT doing that I got reamed by for knowing everyone.

One or the other, jacko. Not both.

By the way: You haven't noticed publicly that I haven't said a word about what I (don't) give. So I'll stick with "almost everyone" if that's okay with you -- or if it's not okay with you, too.

Edited by joekicker
sigh. jacko - that is EXACTLY why I opted you out. Exactly. And for writing "Almost everyone expects a thanks," I got reamed by you for being smartaxx. And for NOT doing that I got reamed by for knowing everyone.

One or the other, jacko. Not both.

By the way: You haven't noticed publicly that I haven't said a word about what I (don't) give. So I'll stick with "almost everyone" if that's okay with you -- or if it's not okay with you, too.

Thais expect something back. I'm saying that so does everyone
Geez, I thought I read everyone.... must be the sunlight.

As you say one or the other Joe.....

Almost everyone expects a thanks

Hard to discuss with someone who plays both sides....