Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I have had a problem off and on burning CD's using Windows Media Player and other third party burners I have downloaded. Lately cannot burn with Windows and using a third party called "Ashampoo", it said that the process was successful but afterwards found out the disc was empty. I have an Asus laptop which I've had since 2004. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This in Thailand or USA?

Cause if its in Thailand, and your using Thai purchased CDs... that might be your issue. The fail rate of Thai CDs is pretty high... I lose one in 4 usually. With a good USA brand I get a 100% success rate.

If thats not the case, your drive could be dirty. You said its a laptop... then when you open the drive you should see the laser head in the tray. Use a can of air to blow it (gently!) clean. If you see anything on it, you can use a Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol to clean it, but GENTLY - do not scratch it, then blow it dry with the canned air. Only do that if it looks dirty tho... any time you touch the laser head you risk throwing it out of alignment.

I have also heard of issues like this with unofficial copies of Windows...

I have had a problem off and on burning CD's using Windows Media Player and other third party burners I have downloaded. Lately cannot burn with Windows and using a third party called "Ashampoo", it said that the process was successful but afterwards found out the disc was empty. I have an Asus laptop which I've had since 2004. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds more like a hardware issue than software if it's playing up with different programs. Frosty couls also be right about the disks but if Thai disks were that bad you'd expect to see a lot more complaints about them on local forums than there are now. Cleaning the drive head is a good suggestion and is a more likely cause. I do on average a couple a day (on a bloody boat) and get almost 0 failure rate with the cheap Thai stuff. Probably around 1 in 50 or 1 in 100.

Try using burn4free (http://www.burn4free.com/) and select the verify opton. This will check to see that you indeed have a sucessful result and it's one of the most versatile software around for any type of writeable media. This will give you a report of any failures and you can try out the "bad disks" theory by simply getting a high quality blank and retry burning the same data.

A word of warning, stay away from the advertised AVS4YOU DVD copier as it is not value for money at all.

Cheers :banghead: Admiral Ken

Edited by 2 slices short
This in Thailand or USA?

Cause if its in Thailand, and your using Thai purchased CDs... that might be your issue. The fail rate of Thai CDs is pretty high... I lose one in 4 usually. With a good USA brand I get a 100% success rate.

LMAO, do you really believe America makes its own CD's ?

OP, sound more like hardware, give it a clean as per frosties suggestion but my guess is the drive has died as I was having the same issue with my Acer laptop.

A very capable (and free) burning software package is IMG Burn

Thank you all for the advice here. As far as the lens cleaning, I use a disc to clean the lens. I did seem to have an issue with some of the Thai blanks while on my last trip. Am using Memorex blanks here in the US. I will try the last two suggestions here.

Would using an external burner solve the problem?

Would using an external burner solve the problem?

From your description so far, it would.

It is *almost* impossible it's the disks themselves - not 100 per cent failure. And your software sounds okay too. It's almost certainly your CD/DVD unit inside the computer as you describe this.

But -- can you PLAY a movie or music in that unit okay?

One time I had a intermittent problem with recording CDs/DVDs, turns out that a mate of mine found that I had a corrupt CD driver.

So maybe reinstall your CD/DVD driver.

From your description so far, it would.

It is *almost* impossible it's the disks themselves - not 100 per cent failure. And your software sounds okay too. It's almost certainly your CD/DVD unit inside the computer as you describe this.

But -- can you PLAY a movie or music in that unit okay?

Yes I can play music and movies no problem

It would be cheaper to buy another laptop on Ebay than to buy an external drive. Save your money and buy a new laptop if it is that old something else will go wrong sooner than later. My laptop is from 2005 and as long as it works I will keep on using it but it will be thrown out as soon as something stops working.

Edited by DP Gumbypgh
It would be cheaper to buy another laptop on Ebay than to buy an external drive. .

Really ?

How many laptops do you see for sale on Ebay for less than 1200baht as 1200baht is what a Samsung external DVD burner cost me at Tukom 3 weeks ago.

As for the internal burner, I replaced mine in my Acer laptop, it cost 2400baht and was a 5 minute swap over at home with just a #2 phillips head screwdriver.

I did not realize that people burned CDs or bought them anymore.

CDs are so 20th century.

Must admit its been a long time since I last burnt one, I need the drive though as my suppliers often have their presentations on disc.

I did not realize that people burned CDs or bought them anymore.

CDs are so 20th century.

They are, in the main, but I still use them. Main use is throw 200-300 songs on one, play it in the car, which has an MP3 player that doesn't take DVDs.

Really ?

How many laptops do you see for sale on Ebay for less than 1200baht as 1200baht is what a Samsung external DVD burner cost me at Tukom 3 weeks ago.

As for the internal burner, I replaced mine in my Acer laptop, it cost 2400baht and was a 5 minute swap over at home with just a #2 phillips head screwdriver.

Unfortunately or not, I am not in Thailand right now, back in the US. Got me thinking about buying another laptop if I cannot solve my problem inexpensively.

They are, in the main, but I still use them. Main use is throw 200-300 songs on one, play it in the car, which has an MP3 player that doesn't take DVDs.

It would be cheaper to buy a new car than to get a new MP 3 player...... :unsure: