Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Any suggestions for a nice island getaway

Does anybody have any suggestions for a 4 or 5 day getaway from Bangkok/Pattaya.I have done Phuket and was not to impressed with it.Im looking for clean beaches,A good hotel,and not to crowded.I will be taking my gf with me so i dont really need over the top nightlife,If I need to take a plane there thats o.k.Any help would be great..Thanks Boston Phil

You can take a plane to Koh Samui from either Bangkok or Pattaya. Beautiful island, crystal clear water.

I found the accomodation very poor in Chaweng. To get anything decent you have to pay big bucks in comparison with Pattaya and I'd say more expensive even than Bangkok.

I flew from Pattaya to Samui last June. I got picked up from my hotel and driven in a minibus to the airport which was about a half hour drive away. The flight was about an hour. Taxi from airport to Chaweng about 10 mins (expensive). Flight cost 5200 Baht. Minibus to airport was about 300 Baht.

Tip: Don't miss the plane coming back like I did! There's only one flight a day to Pattaya. I tried to get my flight changed to Bangkok and was gonna get a taxi/bus down to Pattaya but they wouldn't do it. Said I had to buy new tickets for me and my Pattaya girl. Worked out too expensive so just stayed another night in Samui, lol.

There's a wide range of accommodation on Samui.

I stay in a bungalow a few metres from the beach and pay between 500 and 750 nightly depending on the season and length of stay.

Minibus from the airport is 100 baht. Buy the ticket at the airport desk. 50 baht on a songthaew to the airport. My resort has a taxi service for 100 baht.

BTW Papillon, you could have got a refund on the Pattaya ticket and then bought the Bkk ticket.

Though of course Bkk tickets are 1000 baht more(?)

Good idea to stay one more night.

http://www.bangkokair.com/

http://203.154.168.55/birts/plantrip.aspx

Hi Thanks for the repiles,were going to try Krabi $125.00 roundtrip flight from Bangkok.I was able to get the Sheraton Krabi Beach Resort for $53.00 a night.The hotel is a newly built property on the beachfront.Dont know to much about Krabi.Im just looking for a nice beach,cold beer,and not to crowded.

• 4 weeks later...

If your down in Pattaya go to Koh Larn by high speed boat can rent for about $30 USD ,good for a day trip . For a nice island try Phi Phi ,about 2 hrs from Phuket by boat from Phuket or Phang Nga also about 2 hrs and costs about 600 baht from Phuket for a day tour. Can make hotel reservations for longer stays.  Phuket is nice, Patong Beach has the nightlife but if you want something more quite and pretty  try Kamala or Karon Beaches there.

• 4 weeks later...

Well i found just what i was looking for on Karbi.NOTHING..There was not alot to do for sure.I did stay at the Shearton hotel,very nice hotel not completed yet.Everything at the hotel was way overpriced.Karbi is a very beautiful island awesome rock formations,great looking beaches.There is NO nightlife to speak of.We did some great mountain biking found some very good and cheap resturants.Had a very relaxing time.Spent 7 days there maybe a little to long for me.Karbi is kinda of unspolied now,but there is alot of construction going on around where the Shearton hotel is,I see in 4 or 5 years the place packed with hotels.There is a small piece of land for sale next to the Shearton hotel that would be perfect for a resturant or bar or store,So if your looking to get away with nothing to do go to Karbi.