Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

OEM built computers will definitely rise in price as manufacturers pass on increased costs.

Can't edit a post. Blasted machines!!

I want to mark this prediction and we'll see what's what. Do you have a base machine or three that you'd care to use as a comparison in a few months?

Edited by joekicker

No,not in Mexico,the USA.Go to slickdeals or other sites.Not Google.Electronics prices in Mexico are absurd.Once again,2TB under $70 and 4 days ago,3TB for $100.Long after the flood affected prices.

Since you can't or won't do the requisite search,I will do just a tiny bit of legwork for you but from now on,it's your responsibility to prove yourself wrong.1st (and only needed) search on slickdeals found this gem for you and it USB 3.0:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3544032

As a point of reference,Costco prices are usually a bit above others when computer related.

And as I said earlier,they may or may not drop for Black Friday.

Usually so but may not due to floods but current prices are as I stated w/1 search.

2nd link for your perusal:

http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?forumchoice%5B%5D=9&q=external+hard+drive&showposts=0&archive=0&titleonly=1&firstonly=1

In Mexico maybe. In the US, about $120 today, says Mr Google.

They WERE $100. Then Thailand had a flood.

Edited by bigdelta

Can't edit a post. Blasted machines!!

I want to mark this prediction and we'll see what's what. Do you have a base machine or three that you'd care to use as a comparison in a few months?

The specifications of a base machine now and a base machine in a few months time will have changed, such is the ever-changing world of computers and components, but OEMs will not want to cut their profit margins to absorb the price increase of HDD's becuase of the global shortage.

Like I said, you'd argue black is white!!! :whistling:

Fine, now you want to change the English language. You're an ambitious person. Okay, what the heck?

So putting prices up is profiteering. So what, then, do you call it when someone ILLEGALLY raises the price of, oh, say, the price of rice -- in the middle of a natural disaster to people caught up IN that disaster in... oh, I don't know, say, Bangkok? Raises the price of a necessity, a controlled-price necessity, breaks the law, during a natural disaster. What do we call that?

If we call it "profiteering" then there's no difference between that and raising the price of hard drives or, as you put it "stock". But it *IS* different. One, it's illegal. Two, it's a necessity. So it is not the SAME as raising the price of stock. Do you have a word for it? We used to have a word for it, until you took it.

Hmmmmmm..... definition of profiteering:-

prof·it·eer

n.

One who makes excessive profits on goods in short supply.

Perhaps you see it as my trying to change the English language. I don't, I was just using the term as it is intended to be used. Those goods could be rice, cars, HDDs, etcetera..... :rolleyes:

No,not in Mexico,the USA.Go to slickdeals or other sites.Not Google.Electronics prices in Mexico are absurd.Once again,2TB under $70 and 4 days ago,3TB for $100.Long after the flood affected prices.

Um. You claimed 3TB disks were $100. But the very best, lowest-price bargain disk you can find on one bargain website is $110. Not only are you wrong, you can't even find ONE rare example on ONE bargain site to illustrate. YOUR example: 3TB disk for $110.

But look, you're not paying attention. The flood has BARELY had an effect on prices IN GENERAL. The floods WILL HAVE an effect on prices, but so far, they have pushed prices up a bit. Like, for example, your claim that 3TB disks are $100, the best you can find is $110. If you find one for $3.80 it won't have anything to do with the FACT that hard-drive prices are going up IN GENERAL.

Since you can't or won't do the requisite search,I will do just a tiny bit of legwork for you but from now on,it's your responsibility to prove yourself wrong.1st (and only needed) search on slickdeals found this gem for you and it USB 3.0:

Your "gem" is 10 per cent more than what you claimed ALL disks were priced at.

But in any case, I'm not even talking about one disk at one website. I'm talking about the actual, real prices of hard drives. Which are going up. They are going up on Slickdeals, on Amazon, at Best Buy, at your corner store. They have BARELY gone up, but they have gone up, which is why you cannot show a $100 deal on a 3TB disk, not even one. I fearlessly predict they will go up more. And if you find a deal for under $100, I won't be shocked because it doesn't mean snit.

And as I said earlier,they may or may not drop for Black Friday.

Heh. You're absolutely positive about that, right? No waffling? No backing out? If they MAY not go up and MAY not go down, do you think they'll stay the same? Or is that too difficult to predict?

• Downvote 1

Like I said, you'd argue black is white!!! whistling

And once again you're wrong. YOU argued this. YOU argued the prices of computers. Now you refuse to back up YOUR argument. Not only didn't I argue, it's impossible to argue about what the future WILL be. It is possible, however, to write it down, wait and see. Why not do that? Then there's STILL no argument.

Hmmmmmm..... definition of profiteering:-

Oh, good, you've brought a dictionary to a word fight. How.... impressive.

Let me try this again: What would YOU call it when someone ILLEGALLY raises the price of, oh, say, the price of rice -- in the middle of a natural disaster to people caught up IN that disaster in... oh, I don't know, say, Bangkok? Raises the price of a necessity, a controlled-price necessity, breaks the law, during a natural disaster. What do you call that?

Or even: In YOUR opinion, is raising the price of rice - a price-controlled necessity of life - during the natural disaster of being trapped in floods in Bangkok - in YOUR opinion is this profiteering, same as raising the price of "stocks" is profiteering? In YOUR opinion, is there a difference?

Edited by joekicker
  • Downvote 1

Um. You claimed 3TB disks were $100. But the very best, lowest-price bargain disk you can find on one bargain website is $110. Not only are you wrong, you can't even find ONE rare example on ONE bargain site to illustrate. YOUR example: 3TB disk for $110.

Yes,the 3TB was USB2.0 not 3.0 for $100.The USB3.0 shown is just a tad more.So I can understand the $10 difference.If you really wanted to find 3TB for $100,no problem a few days ago.But since you are hell bent on argueing with everyone on this forum,I am no longer interested in wasting my time in any way with you.I enjoy this forum very much and will continue to do so without reading your baiting for the sole purpose of baiting myself OR anyone else.What a shame because I believe you may be a bright guy but the way you come across in nearly every post is just so.................let's just say argumentative to be polite.

Edited by bigdelta

And once again you're wrong. YOU argued this. YOU argued the prices of computers. Now you refuse to back up YOUR argument. Not only didn't I argue, it's impossible to argue about what the future WILL be. It is possible, however, to write it down, wait and see. Why not do that? Then there's STILL no argument.

It is you that keeps on arguing.... :whistling:

I made a comment that HDD prices would rise because of the flooding, and guess what... they have!!! In the UK prices have more than doubled, some have even tripled.

Computer prices will go up because of the increase in cost of component parts. That is simple economics. OEMs won't subsidise the price of computers as most work on slim profit margins per unit as it is. The profit margin on some computers is less than the cost of what a HDD was prior to the flooding.

Computer prices will go up because of the increase in cost of component parts. That is simple economics. OEMs won't subsidise the price of computers as most work on slim profit margins per unit as it is. The profit margin on some computers is less than the cost of what a HDD was prior to the flooding.

You continue to stamp your little foot and say this same thing. I understood you the first time, way up ^^^^ there in the thread. It's so easy to predict the future that it's a cheap shot -- who can argue? What isn't so easy is to hang around and see if you're right. I guess you won't do that, fine. If you change your mind, want to set a standard to CHECK your prediction, I'll be here, probably.

I was in Costco today and was handed the Black Friday weekend flyer and the Seagate 2TB Freeagent Goflex external drive is $69.99.As I mentioned earlier,Costco does not have the best computer related prices but this just cements what I said earlier regarding price points.Now,I believe that this price will be offered Black Friday weekend and possibly go lower,along with the 3TB price.

The GoFlex Desk external drive gives you plenty of storage capacity and it's easy to upgrade to any interface you choose. With USB 3.0 standard to increase your performance by up to 10 times. Works interchangeably between a PC or a Mac® computer.

With the GoFlex Desk, it's easy to backup, secure and access your content.

• Ensures automatic continuous backup of your data
  • Secures your backed up files and protects your privacy with powerful encryption software
  • Includes the Seagate® Dashboard management tool for easy management of backup schedules and file encryption, and viewing drive statistics
  • Includes the GoFlex Desk USB 3.0 desktop adapter with illuminated capacity gauge
  • Offers vertical or horizontal orientation to fit in any desktop environment
  • 2-year limited warranty
  • Dimensions: 6.22" L x 4.88" W x 1.73" D (158mm x 124mm x 44mm)
  • Weight: 2.38lb (1.08kg)
  • Includes "Replica" Auto Backup software-Prapares,boots, and recovers your PCs entire boot drive contents in the event of a system failure.Easily restore your entire system to a previous point in time.

Edited by bigdelta

I was in Costco today and was handed the Black Friday weekend flyer and the Seagate 2TB Freeagent Goflex external drive is $69.99.As I mentioned

Two generations old, but I'd buy one. They're good under the desk, linked to any PC, heavy buggers and pretty good disks.

The floods are mostly gone. That does NOT count the poor buggers with water locked into their housing estates and the like. There is almost nothing important blocked by floods anywhere in the main part of Bangkok. As always, the airport, highways, Pattaya and so on are untouched by floods. You might have to go to two or three bars to get your FAVOURITE beer, so it's pretty much hardship all round on that score.