Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I hope when I come to Thailand next year, I don't have to deal with people trying to sell me Timeshare. I bought 2 in Mexico 14 years back and it isn't worth the money or headaches.  Can anybody tell me what to look out for, so I can avoid it?

There are pairs of (usually attractive) girls on Beach Road in particular who have clipboards and ask you if you will answer their questions for some reason or another, it varies. Just smile, say "Meeow Kap" and walk on. They are nothing like as aggressive as the touts in Tenerife for example and once you have been in town for a spell and are no longer white as a shithouse ghost, they will not even bother asking.

Stevoh.

I was stupid enough to fall for one on beach road last October . They ask you a few questions and you draw a ticket out of a bag and surprise , surprise you win a prize . To collect the prize you have to go with them and give them an 'hour' of your time . I didn't get back to my hotel for 4 hours , thoroughly pissed off !

Each questioner gets 500 baht for each person they get . The current favorite is Talay Villas where I was . They say it isn't time share but it really is , just well disguised . I saved a few people from being conned in June by simply going up to them and saying 'it's timeshare' when I spotted them being nabbed on beach road by the clipboard crew . They weren't long leaving when they heard that & I got a dangerous look from the clipboard guy/girl when they saw their 500 baht walk away .

Derek

I had the same on my first visit to Pattaya and got that phone call to say "I had won a prize!" and could they come and pick me up at my hotel to "collect" my winnings. I don't know whether they came or not as I was out soaking up the sun when they were due to call.

Alan

eltib

Sorry to hear about all the bad timeshare experiences. I to have been to many of them. Usually, I ask what there giving away. Then I ask what else they have. or what I want.  Because timeshare sellers usually have better gifts than they are offering. Like the 4 nights at the Rio in Vegas I'm using in Sept.  If I don't like the gifts I don't go. Did one in BKK last year, took an hour by some mall. Got a week in Phuket, I'm using this year. Just ask for another gift and say no to buying. Always buy resale. A lot of people buy them on vacation, then loose big when they sell them. I believe the one in Pattaya is the Atlas, which you can get as a getaway for $199/week, timeshare reviews not to good. But hotels are so cheap in Thailand, TS is not worth it.

About a year ago I started education myself on the ins/outs of timesharing. I  hate being hit up on the street and the tactic they use to get you to there presentation. But I'll tell you. If you educate yourself they can be great. Last year I bought 2 different resorts. Both in different parts of So Africa, I never plan to go there I just trade for where I want to go. My total cost is $500-US/each to buy. Both are 2 bedroom red weeks. After my dues and trading through RCI, my costs comes to $250/yr a week. I now have traded to the Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii, a hard to get ski week in Whistler.

So now I'm wondering about the Marriott in Pattaya, and have posted to the users group looking for answers. Marriott also has a timeshare program and its expensive in the US. But buying a resale at Pattaya means it might be a great deal in Thai Baht, and the maintenance in Thai Baht maybe really low. Just like my So African units. I'm wondering if anyone on this board has a Pattaya Marriott week ? I need info please.

There is a timeshare web site if your interested. Q & A, Ratings, Reviews, and  Sales history. Let me know if you'd like more info....... Always buy resale !

If someone is knowledgeable enough to answer Skate's questions, I have one other -  has anybody used their RCI weeks in Pattaya/Jomtien through trading?  I own half an RCI in USA with a bunch of weeks built up and would love to use in LOS.  I tried looking on the RCI web page last year and nothing was available.  I wonder if there is a broker in Pattaya that could help me?

Thanks in advance for any info you guys may have.

Hub

Sorry guys,  Timeshares are called resorts and offen times they are part of a hotel. Most have kitchens and activities and maybe parties on the grounds.

Hubster,

One resort came up a lot when I was looking last year. You will notice it has several different Names and Resort numbers, below... Wield... it also came up as a getaway... Also the Quality Suites in BKK comes up a lot... I stayed there one night when flying out early the next morning.. I don't think I'd stay there a week...

If you would like me to search with my SA weeks let me know when you want to go.. I'll see what comes up... also if you have a Gold Crown resort,  RCI has a filter so you cannot pull standard resorts.... They will not admit to it if you ask them...

PATTAYA  Go'Rs.....

Do you have any info on these places ???

Pattaya Hill Resort (#5556)

329 Pratamnug Road

Pattaya    20260

THAILAND

Phone: 66-38 250261

---------------------------------------------

Atlas at Pattaya Hill Resort (#5856)

329 Pratamnug Road

----------------------------------------------

MTC At Pattaya Hill (#5962)

329 Pratamnug Road

----------------------------------------------

Columbus Imperial Club at Pattaya Hill (#6377)

329 Pratamnug Road

-----------------------------------------------

Differant resort on RCI.....

Chateau Dale Beach Resort (#5719)

430/13 Moo 12

Chonburi, Pattaya    20260  

I just checked Interval International's site out. About a month ago, they had 2 or 3 resorts on their site for Pattaya, now they have none. It doesn't look like I'll be exchanging my resorts in Mexico for Thailand. Doesn't really matter anyway. After seeing the Residence Garden, that place blows most of these timeshares outta the water. So chances are the Residence garden will be my choice. ;D

eltib

Sorry to hear about all the bad timeshare experiences. I to have been to many of them. Usually, I ask what there giving away. Then I ask what else they have. or what I want.  Because timeshare sellers usually have better gifts than they are offering. Like the 4 nights at the Rio in Vegas I'm using in Sept.  If I don't like the gifts I don't go. Did one in BKK last year, took an hour by some mall. Got a week in Phuket, I'm using this year. Just ask for another gift and say no to buying. Always buy resale. A lot of people buy them on vacation, then loose big when they sell them. I believe the one in Pattaya is the Atlas, which you can get as a getaway for $199/week, timeshare reviews not to good. But hotels are so cheap in Thailand, TS is not worth it.

About a year ago I started education myself on the ins/outs of timesharing. I  hate being hit up on the street and the tactic they use to get you to there presentation. But I'll tell you. If you educate yourself they can be great. Last year I bought 2 different resorts. Both in different parts of So Africa, I never plan to go there I just trade for where I want to go. My total cost is $500-US/each to buy. Both are 2 bedroom red weeks. After my dues and trading through RCI, my costs comes to $250/yr a week. I now have traded to the Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii, a hard to get ski week in Whistler.

So now I'm wondering about the Marriott in Pattaya, and have posted to the users group looking for answers. Marriott also has a timeshare program and its expensive in the US. But buying a resale at Pattaya means it might be a great deal in Thai Baht, and the maintenance in Thai Baht maybe really low. Just like my So African units. I'm wondering if anyone on this board has a Pattaya Marriott week ? I need info please.

There is a timeshare web site if your interested. Q & A, Ratings, Reviews, and  Sales history. Let me know if you'd like more info....... Always buy resale !

Hey Skate... Thanx for the info. That's similar to what they do in Mexico, but they use the "free tour/jeep" sort of thing. I still have to deal with my resort pulling the same crap, especially from this girl named Dahlila. I just unplug my telephone when I go to my room and the problem is solved.  ;D

Hey eltib,

Your Mexican TS.... I noticed you said you have II.... Would it be at one of the Royals in Cancun ??

If so I'd be interested in renting your week if

your not going to use it....2004

I own the Villa Del Palmar and Villa Del Mar in Puerto Vallarta Skate. I've seen the Royal resorts in Cancun, and they're beautiful resorts. Unfortunately I don't have those ones.

Yes, the Royals in Cancun are considered to be in the top 10 resorts in the world, by timeshare owners.

I stayed at the Royal Sands on a II getaway. (picked in up on line) Some of the Royals have a residual the will pay you after so many years. Some of the resale units you will back say $5000 in the year 2009. Which can be a good deal if your buying resale for under 5/k. The big fall back is the dues can be $600/yr for a 2 bedroom with lock out.

Going to go to Puerto Vallarta in May 2003 first time... staying at the Westin, a 2 bedroom. sleeps 8.... A So African trade... not bad a bad trade for $250/week.... usually a bunch of us go and I have them buy me a few dinners for there free stay... I'm sure will be at Senior Frogs a couple of night..

If you'd like to know more about your timeshare and what others have to say... go to the on line user's group..     http://www.tug2.net

Later Dude

Just do one thing.. Anybody in those street booths ask you questions, just ignore them, and move on. They are all over the street in Vallarta. Especially the Villa Del Palmar ones. I have 8 more years on my DelMar property, and then I'm done with it. I'm not renewing it.

I'm sorry I even bought them. I wanted to go to Thailand since 1991, and now I have the vacation time accrued to do it.

The girls with the clipboards get paid by submitting a valid name, hotel and room number ... the named person then gets a call from an English speaking sales agent. Now I haven't done this (::)) but if you really  want to a) put some money in the girls pocket and B) really hate some over-bearing loudmouth twat at your hotel, give the girl his name, hotel and room number  .............................................  I understand that an London based stockbroker staying at the Eastiny Inn some 18 months ago, kept getting invites to lots of Timeshare viewings ;D  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

For all you people that gave me advice on what to look out for in Pattaya. Thank You very much. I told the girl on Beach Road "Miow Krap", and she basically walked away. Anyway I finally donated both Mexican Timeshares to a charity, and got a hefty tax writeoff for both.

All time shares are a rip off, period.  NEver fallen for one yet and never intend too.  Know a few guys been in the timeshare industry and they all will confirm it is a big big rip off that makes big bucks for the TS companies and big loses for the mug punters.  Heed this warning if nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably more timeshare info than you need to know.

Ray, you’re absolutely right. Never buy one of these places unless you have really studied the industry.

El Tib old place now has an optional all inclusive package which I hate. NEVER, EVER buy from a developer !!!  

As previously posted I bought a couple of cheap resale units to trade. They are top traders for the money. I bought them mainly because I like going to 5 Star Destination resorts which can be expensive. I usually trade for large 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a lock out unit. I take friends a long. They stay in the lock-out and we all have our privacy. It works out. I have not seen a decent trade into Thailand, and like El Tib says it just isn’t worth it when you have places like the RG. But buying in Thai to trade maybe a different story.

The new craze is for snow-birds. Instead of buying a house, condo, or trailers in a hot spot like Arizona. They buy cheap or give away timeshares with low dues, and a good traders. About 10 of these resale units for the winter months. Cost about $500/ea, dues and trade fees $250/yr for each. Then trade for the warmer climate.  Also, South African units trade easily into Gold Crown Florida beach resorts.  

So far I'm quite happy with mine and would be happy to answer any question on or off the board.