Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone who compares a slow cooker to a rice cooker is an idiot. Put a 2Kg joint of meat in a rice cooker with stock and wine and see what happens to it 8 hours after.   If you don't know what you a

Not necessary...let's put it down to a "figure of speech".

Cook books and instruction pamphlets give you food poisoning? Wow!! I'm glad I don't read them.   .

Posted Images

Mainly because i dont want food poisoning

Cook books and instruction pamphlets give you food poisoning? Wow!! I'm glad I don't read them.

• Upvote 1

Yes, crock pots are available here in Thailand. I had one but it really didn't do much for Thai beef. I have much better luck with a second generation pressure cooker. Second generation pressure cookers are designed to NOT lose any steam thus you don't need to use a lot of water. I doubt that you will find one of those here in Thailand Every pressure cooker I found here in Thailand were cheapies. I wouldn't trust any of them. I had one imported and had to pay $300 US for it. It has a very thick laminated bottom to eliminate any hot spots so it can be used with electric or a gas burner. I have to say it was a good investment.

Canned chili beans are hard to find and expensive if you can even find them. Red beans are easily available at most markets. Try making dried beans edible with a crock pot even after soaking them 24 hours and another 24 hours in the crock pot. I don't like my chili soup with crunchy beans.

Oh my GAWD!!!

I dont even want my bloody crockpot now!!!

Simon Cook... i hear you are looking for a crockpot/slowcooker... you can have mine for nothing lol, it seems to be creating a lot of hot air here(excuse the pun)

Blimey!!! I only asked a simple question and now me and Joe have fallen out.

:clueless

Merry Christmas All

x

• Upvote 1

There is a reason you have over 17,000 posts in 4+ years

You're very welcome for the information on exactly where to find new, slow cookers for sale in Thailand, including store department and shelf. You needn't mention it.

Not necessary...let's put it down to a "figure of speech".

Seconded!

They have 4 settings.The settings for rice and stews etc are not the same.Everyone was talking about a standard rice cooker that have on off button.You only have to google it to see its not the same.

I have a rice cooker that has settings for porridge and brown rice but its not a slow cooker and i wouldnt trust cooking meat in it.Up to you if you want to.

I wouldnt want to spend money on something if i dont have to but as they are not the same i think i will have to.

Basically if you have a slow cooker function on your rice cooker then yes.If not then no.

Actually rice cookers are automatic. When you push the button down and start the cooker it gets hot enough to boil then switches by itself to a low temperature. to keep the rice warm after it is cooked. If you like, you can start it by moving the switch to the up position, which is warm, but that would not cook the rice.

Actually rice cookers are automatic.

Yes. And No.

There are a lot of rice cookers out there today, they really have moved up several generations. A lot of them have microchips and can do all kinds of fancy stuff like, (as mentioned) cook red rice and cook joke. All of this *is* automatic, one button push just like the basic one you describe. Making it a "slow cooker" that does not boil is a piece of cake, these days.

When you push the button down and start the cooker it gets hot enough to boil then switches by itself to a low temperature. to keep the rice warm after it is cooked. If you like, you can start it by moving the switch to the up position, which is warm, but that would not cook the rice.

Yes, on your basic rice cooker, you can turn it on, and then immediately switch it to "warm" or some similar setting. And to be picayune, the rice would (eventually) cook but it wouldn't steam, which is the point with khao suay, is that if it's "cooked" or boiled, it sucks.

A slow cooker/crock pot is built a bit differently from the bottom up from a rice cooker. But only a bit. As jacko quickly found and informed the thread, there are lots of rice cookers these days doubling as slow cookers at the press of a button. I think people who would "never" cook a slow-cooking recipe in a rice cooker are the sort of people you find who say they MUST have cast iron and MUST have copper bottoms or would NEVER cook in aluminium, etc, etc and boringly etc. You ever seen a really good restaurant that draws in people because they only use cast-iron, copper-bottom pans? But hey, if you refuse to put your dish in a rice cooker because (spit, yuck, spit) it's not a real crock pot, well, fine.

I have to admit that a rice cooker is not a place I'd put my joint, as several posters suggested. But I wouldn't put my joint in a crock pot either. That's what the Leks and Daengs are for, eh?

I'm a big rice-cooker person. I think that next to air-conditioning it is the most important modern invention in Asia. It has liberated women, just for a starter. My daughter wrote a long paper on it at my suggestion and got very high praise for it from a US perfesser who had never heard of such a thing before but it made her go "hmmmmm" - in a good way. It is telling that probably half the women and most of the men in Thailand today couldn't cook rice unless they had an actual rice cooker. (But I can, one of the advantages of being ... um, experienced, I guess.)

Edited by joekicker

Just to add some spice to the thread...I saw this at Powerbuy Central today.

uploadfromtaptalk1324725101188.jpg

How do you add spice to the most boring thread in 2011

Just to add some spice to the thread...I saw this at Powerbuy Central today.

uploadfromtaptalk1324725101188.jpg

Thank goodness for that :thumbup

I can now sleep better at night knowing you will need a degree to cook rice

cheers

Rodney

Has anyone seen any slow cookers for sale anywhere.I want to invest in one to save keep putting my oven on.

Thanks

That's what the OP asked for...a slow cooker, and that picture is of a combination slow cooker/rice cooker. It even had a price.

How do you add spice to the most boring thread in 2011

Boring thread? This is everything you ever need to know about slow cookers and rice cookers. PLUS, much more. :bhappy

It's even possible that some people would starve to death without this information. I know of some Thai women who are not capable of making a cup of instant coffee much less cooking rice. Most of those types of women, fortunately, do have other important skills.

Home World right next to Big C south has a big selection

That would be Homeworks.