Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi,

Having given Spain to win the last European Championship, and then the World Cup, it’s hard to desert them this time. However, it is hard to stay at the top forever and I have a feeling they may get beat this time. David Villa has been a big player for them and his absence could be a factor. Barcelona failed to win the Champions League without him this year and although Spain have Torres and Llorente as replacements it could be a deciding factor.

If I’m deserting Spain I have to find an alternative. Germany have been beaten by Spain in both the World and European Cups but are still a young improving team. They have many players from the Bayern Munich team, which were unlucky to lose in the Champions League final, and Ozil from Real Madrid. They rarely flop on the big stage and should go close.

Many boardies will be cheering on England. They have 3 players from Champions League winners Chelsea who should all play. Cahill, Cole and Terry are all good defenders. With Joe Hart in goal, England’s defence seems its strongest asset. Rooney misses the first 2 games which may be problematic. Midfield seems a bit lacking in flair to me.

Holland got to the World Cup final playing football that wasn’t in the finer traditions of Dutch total football. Still, they have Van Persie and give little away but I’d prefer them play like they did when Cruyff and co. entertained with beautiful style.

Portugal are a team who could go well, but they are in a tough group. They have Ronaldo who has been in great form for Real Madrid in Spain. The Portuguese teams have performed well in Europe this year and have good technical players.

Russia got to the semi-final last time and had a good qualifying campaign. They also have an easy looking group. They are a good outside bet.

France have Benzama, who scored lots of goals in La Liga for Real Madrid, and lots of promising young players in midfield. They seem a united group and the French are hard to beat in any team sport when their heads are right.

Ireland have the most successful manager of the lot, Trapattoni, in charge, and the team is very organised. They have one of the best keepers in Given and Robbie Keane has a great record in International football. Dunne and Duff are 2 other good international players so Ireland may surprise a few people in a tough group.

Italy were my selection for the 2006 World Cup and didn’t let me down. I wouldn’t put off anyone from backing them this time but they wont be carrying any of my money. I’ll be watching Mario Ballotelli with interest and hope he has a good tournament.

The remaining teams are hard to fancy. Greece won the tournament in 2004 at 100/1 and are the same price this time. I can’t see lightening striking twice. Sweden and Denmark are decent teams but don’t seem good enough. Croatia and the Czech’s have done well in tournament football in the past, but look weaker this time around.

Of the 2 host countries I prefer Poland. They have Lewandowski up front and he has scored a lot of goals for the German champions Borussia Dortmund this season. They also have Szczesny in goal who had a great season in England for Arsenal. Ukraine teams are not doing as well as they used to in the Champions League and for that reason I cant fancy them even with home advantage.

I hope the football is entertaining and the best team wins. I’m backing Germany this time as they seem on the up. My only reservation is Bayern Munich supply much of the squad and they have finished second in 2 cups and the league this year. However, they have the youngest midfield in the competition and that may be a factor in their favour after a long season for most of the top players in Europe. Russia is my outside bet as they have a soft draw and could be hard to beat if they get momentum. If Spain win a third major competition in a row they must be regarded as the best International team of all time. I’ll have a few bottles of Cava if they do.

Enjoy the football, and if you have a win bet, or bets in running, I hope you win a few baht.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They did, and it was nearly their undoing, need to improve against the home nation Ukraine, I would drop Young for Rooney and Milner for Walcott. Leave Carroll and Welbeck as front two strikers with

Hi,   None of Bayern's players were on duty.

Agreed. I thought they were two fairly decent games. The Greeks looked well-organised once they settled down - is the Russian captain related to the plonker by the same name at Arsenal?

We've lost Lampard and there are fears for Scott Parker. Expectations are low......That's our only hope, we all know sport can confound!!

We don't deserve it but nor did Chelsea.

I shall enjoy England's run for as long as it lasts.....Then support Ireland and then Holland.........And then given a 50/50 chance..... there's a 90% chance I'll support the losers in the final.

Edited by atlas2

I will go with Spain. Germany got beat the other day by the Swiss 5-3. They lost to France before that as well,at home. But they did beat Israel the other day but that does not really count for much as Israel are shit at football. Spain have been winning all their games.

Edited by Baht

I will go with Spain. Germany got beat the other day by the Swiss 5-3.

Hi,

None of Bayern's players were on duty.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

Were they off duty when they lost to France at home as well?

Hi,

I like to see England play well for a change. They are a fantastic footballing nation, but have not achieved much since they won the World Cup under controversial circumstances against Germany in 1966. Their winning goal never crossed the line.

Edited by Gonzo

I like to see England...... they won the World Cup under controversial circumstances against Germany in 1966. Their winning goal never crossed the line.

Well can't argue.....But we did win 4.2!!

Having watched last night against Belgium we have a chance but only a slim one.

I doubt England will get through the first stage. I expect France to beat them in the first game for starters.

Sent from my desktop using my fingers. :bhappy

Edited by Baht

England will not qualify from their group. Guaranteed.

Hi,

Having given Spain to win the last European Championship, and then the World Cup, it’s hard to desert them this time. However, it is hard to stay at the top forever and I have a feeling they may get beat this time. David Villa has been a big player for them and his absence could be a factor. Barcelona failed to win the Champions League without him this year and although Spain have Torres and Llorente as replacements it could be a deciding factor.

If I’m deserting Spain I have to find an alternative. Germany have been beaten by Spain in both the World and European Cups but are still a young improving team. They have many players from the Bayern Munich team, which were unlucky to lose in the Champions League final, and Ozil from Real Madrid. They rarely flop on the big stage and should go close.

Many boardies will be cheering on England. They have 3 players from Champions League winners Chelsea who should all play. Cahill, Cole and Terry are all good defenders. With Joe Hart in goal, England’s defence seems its strongest asset. Rooney misses the first 2 games which may be problematic. Midfield seems a bit lacking in flair to me.

Holland got to the World Cup final playing football that wasn’t in the finer traditions of Dutch total football. Still, they have Van Persie and give little away but I’d prefer them play like they did when Cruyff and co. entertained with beautiful style.

Portugal are a team who could go well, but they are in a tough group. They have Ronaldo who has been in great form for Real Madrid in Spain. The Portuguese teams have performed well in Europe this year and have good technical players.

Russia got to the semi-final last time and had a good qualifying campaign. They also have an easy looking group. They are a good outside bet.

France have Benzama, who scored lots of goals in La Liga for Real Madrid, and lots of promising young players in midfield. They seem a united group and the French are hard to beat in any team sport when their heads are right.

Ireland have the most successful manager of the lot, Trapattoni, in charge, and the team is very organised. They have one of the best keepers in Given and Robbie Keane has a great record in International football. Dunne and Duff are 2 other good international players so Ireland may surprise a few people in a tough group.

Italy were my selection for the 2006 World Cup and didn’t let me down. I wouldn’t put off anyone from backing them this time but they wont be carrying any of my money. I’ll be watching Mario Ballotelli with interest and hope he has a good tournament.

The remaining teams are hard to fancy. Greece won the tournament in 2004 at 100/1 and are the same price this time. I can’t see lightening striking twice. Sweden and Denmark are decent teams but don’t seem good enough. Croatia and the Czech’s have done well in tournament football in the past, but look weaker this time around.

Of the 2 host countries I prefer Poland. They have Lewandowski up front and he has scored a lot of goals for the German champions Borussia Dortmund this season. They also have Szczesny in goal who had a great season in England for Arsenal. Ukraine teams are not doing as well as they used to in the Champions League and for that reason I cant fancy them even with home advantage.

I hope the football is entertaining and the best team wins. I’m backing Germany this time as they seem on the up. My only reservation is Bayern Munich supply much of the squad and they have finished second in 2 cups and the league this year. However, they have the youngest midfield in the competition and that may be a factor in their favour after a long season for most of the top players in Europe. Russia is my outside bet as they have a soft draw and could be hard to beat if they get momentum. If Spain win a third major competition in a row they must be regarded as the best International team of all time. I’ll have a few bottles of Cava if they do.

Enjoy the football, and if you have a win bet, or bets in running, I hope you win a few baht.

Good round up and analysis :-)

My money is on NL to win it. They seem to have matured compared to the WC and now have the much needed cynisism. And what's left of the betting money will be split between Germany and Italy - two great tournament teams...

Best of luck to all :D

SBM

Edited by sexybaaman

England are going into the Tournement with low expectations, this could be an advantage to us as no-one expects them to get through The group stage.

Germany, in my opinion, the greatest footballing machine the competition has, you can NEVER write them off, will be there at the death.

Spain, IMO have gone off the boil abit, last 2 competitions have came through, Euro 2008 winners and the World Cup in 2010, but I dont think they can make it 3 in a row.

Netherlands, a good side at the World Cup, and now two years on look a more solid team altogether, they are my tip for winning the competition

PLAYERS TO LOOK OUT FOR.

Hunterlaar.......Netherlands. Great finisher of the ball, given half a chance, he will bury it.

Muller..............Germany. A class player who can play out wide and loves to cut inside and shoot, good goal tally.

Carroll.............England. Love him or hate him, he is big, strong and a great header of the ball. But will he get that service??

Benzema..........France. This guy is so hard to knock off the ball, will be a handful for any defence.

Van Persie........Netherlands. His Premiership record this season has been magnificant, always a handful.

Mesut Ozil........Germany. What a handful this guy is, a quality crosser of the ball who can score at will.

Ronaldo...........Portugal. Always plays a bit deep but comes up with the goals, watch the free kicks with this one.

And that is it, yes I could have put alot of players in, like Ribery of France, Iniesta of Spain but I'm going with these guys above that will be the match winners for their teams.

By the way I have got a £150 Double on with Hunterlaar being top goalscorer and Netherlands to win the Tournement at odds of 40/1. Thats £6000 back if it comes off, but Im hoping England bring the cup back......HOME. :thumbup :thumbup

Edited by jamie392305

Spain, IMO have gone off the boil abit, last 2 competitions have came through, Euro 2008 winners and the World Cup in 2012, but I dont think they can make it 3 in a row.

Spain are still the number 1 ranked team in the world and I think they have a very good chance of winning this as well. If they can play like they did against the Germans in the World Cup then no one else has a chance. The German hardly touched the ball.

Netherlands, a good side at the World Cup, and now two years on look a more solid team altogether, they are my tip for winning the competition

The Dutch are a bunch of fouling bastards as far as I can see. Disgraceful display in the World Cup.

The good thing about this thread is that at the 'end of the day' we will know who's been right and who was wrong in their predictions.

Let's hope football is the winner throughout the competition..........If England are, as predicted by several here, knocked out in the group stage I shall root for skill and sportsmanship to come through.

I hate cheats in sport and women who grunt on the tennis court......

England are based in Poland and have to fly to all their games in the first round which are in the Ukraine. All the other teams in their group are based in the Ukraine I believe.. They have two games in Donensk which is 1500 km away and their other game is in Kiev which is 869 km away.

Carroll.............England. Love him or hate him, he is big, strong and a great header of the ball.

Which is good, unless he's asked to also kick the ball, which seems to be his Achilles heel. On a positive note, he's only the second biggest waste of money in the Premiership. :thumbup Got to say, I do find the number of Liverpool players in the England squad a bit of a mystery - maybe Roy knows something we don't. That said, if England are still in with a shout when Rooney becomes available ... :glare:

But will he get that service??

With Theo Walcott providing "that service", what do you think? :ninja: He's got the speed of a cheetah on steroids and, unfortunately, the crossing ability of one as well.

Watch Carroll score a hat-trick in the final now. LOL. :llaugh

So not to be left out, I'll go for the Dutch. RvP, v Bommel, Sneijder, Robben, de Jong, Huntelaar ... just don't let Robben take any penalties. LOL. The game against Germany next Thu morning (Thai time) is one I'll be staying up for. Portugal as my outside bet.

Edited by CheshireTom

Jackie Charlton somehow managed a team of run-of-the-mill players. Probably none of his 'Irish'...(some picked because their grandmothers once owned an irish setter), team would have been an automatic choice for the England side of the day........But he got these gutsy professionals to bloody compete against the superstars. They were a handful for anyone

That POSSIBILITY is all I have regarding this England team's chances against the likes of Spain..........Come on Hodgson.............Oh dear!

Jackie Charlton somehow managed a team of run-of-the-mill players.

Roy has already tried to do the same at Liverpool. :ninja: It's one thing to motivate the underdogs (witness Chelsea and Greece), quite another to motivate the favourites. I always feel the biggest hurdle England have to overcome is the weight of expectation that they carry. Let's just hope that Stuart Pearce isn't coaching them in the art of penalty taking. :thumbup

Edited by CheshireTom

Hodgson is not really a quality manager. He has won nothing of note with any of the teams he has managed, I expect him to leave soon after England get knocked out of the Euro's.

Good round up and analysis :-)

My money is on NL to win it. They seem to have matured compared to the WC and now have the much needed cynisism. And what's left of the betting money will be split between Germany and Italy - two great tournament teams...

Best of luck to all :D

SBM

Hi,

Thanks. I'm a romantic and would like to see the Dutch play as they did in the past. With style.

Hodgson is not really a quality manager. He has won nothing of note with any of the teams he has managed, I expect him to leave soon after England get knocked out of the Euro's.

OK Smartarse, tell me of any manager of late (ENGLISH) that has won anything in the top flight, your talking Shite Baht, and you know it.

OK Smartarse, tell me of any manager of late (ENGLISH) that has won anything in the top flight, your talking Shite Baht, and you know it.

Why do they have to be English? England can pick a manager of any nationality. There are plenty of managers around who have won more and done better than Roy. I am not talking shit either,Hodgson has won nothing of any note,his last job was with WBA ffs.

Edited by Baht

Why do they have to be English? England can pick a manager of any nationality. There are plenty of managers around who have won more and done better than Roy. I am not talking shit either,Hodgson has won nothing of any note,his last job was with WBA ffs.

Baht,

I have always believed that if you are to manage the national side, you should be from that particular country. Whether you have Trophies in the bag at club level or International level is irrelevent. What is foremost of importance is getting the balance of the dressing room correct, creating harmony within those ranks is paramount, this is something that neither Erikkson or Capello managed to achieve. Erikkson was more interested in getting into the knickers of one particular weathergirl from TV AM, Capello on the other hand couldn't even be bothered to learn the language. The other factor in this is what would of happened say England got to a cup final and was playing the National team of where the manager was from? Where would his loyalties be? I for one would think it would not be with the team that he is supposed to be managing.

I can honestly state, here and now that the F.A got it right in appointing Hodgson, their other good scalp was getting Phil Gary Neville on board. There was far to much red tape for them to appoint Redknapp. His big downfall was the highly published court case for Tax Ivasion, even now I find it hard to believe that he got off with it. I even said back then before he was found Not Guilty that was his one big chance of the England job out the window. I believe we have a good influx of English managers coming through the ranks now, and some that will go on to good success and hopefully go on to manage the national team, but until then I think we should get behind the present manager and support his decisions. Good Luck England, make us proud. :thumbup

Edited by jamie392305

I can honestly state, here and now that the F.A got it right in appointing Hodgson, their other good scalp was getting Phil Neville on board.

I think he wanted Phil, but ..... :clueless These things happen. :ninja: However, if you wanted first-hand advice on how to make it to the top on mediocre talent, Gary would be the guy to ask.

On a serious note, who are the good English managers coming through? I think the guy, Pardew, at Newcastle has performed brilliantly. He's made some great buys in the transfer market, but his biggest coup was getting 35 million for Carroll. But, other than him, English managerial talent does seem to be a bit thin on the ground. Still, it'll be nice to see Big Sam back next season and Nigel Adkins seems to be an interesting character.

Edited by CheshireTom