Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Great pictures, thanks for posting them!

I was there back in 2000 (1st Thailand trip) when we did a "River Kwai"-day trip. I'm Dutch and among those buried are many Dutch soldiers who died as POW.

A must see (the cementry and small museum) basicly for everyone to wittness what "the cruelty of war" means. A very moving place indeed!

Thanks so much for posting these pics of a very moving place. I visited it almost 30 years ago on my first visit to Thailand, and have always intended to go back. Seeing all those very English names (and of course Anzacs, Dutch and more) on those gravestones so very far from home touched me then, and will do so again.

As an ex soldier and a grandson of a brave man and a son of a brave man and a nephew to many brave men I salute you and all people that have died in the pursuit of freedom..

I worked in Ghana many years ago and went to the war museum in Kumasi and was shocked to see that Ghanains served in Asia during the war too

There are actually two cemeteries - the main one in town, and a smaller one, Chung Kai, a couple of clicks down the river from the bridge. It's worth hiring a long-tail boat from one of the pontoons near the bridge to make the journey. In a lot quieter surroundings than the main cemetery.

Edited by CheshireTom
  • Upvote 1

Plan to visit for the first time the week of 11Jun. It's my understanding that the guards responsible for much of the cruelty were actually Korean conscripts (although you'd have to say ultimate "responsibility" rests with the Japanese, who have never acknowledged any responsibility for the war or their many atrocities).