Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Mini-Review - Flipper House, Soi 7

I’ve reviewed the Flipper House before and posted photos of the pool (one of the best, if not the best around IMHO) as well.  I write these words on June 7, 2003 after checking in last night.

The combination of low season, SARS, and fears associated with traveling after the Iraq war have seemingly conspired to leave many Pattaya hotel rooms empty.  Whereever I roamed today, they were advertising free room nights for every “x” nights that one booked.

I’ve reviewed the regular rooms before, but this time, I booked a mini-suite.  Costs me 1,000 baht.  The rooms are the “77” of the group (e.g., 677 for 6th floor, 777 for 7th floor)…I only tell you this incase you want to check out location.  The minisuites have some nice features over the regular rooms – at least as I remember them the last time I stayed at the Flipper House about a year and a half ago.

First – leaving the room and taking the key does NOT turn off the frig.  That’s kinda good, don’t you hate walking into your room and having your beers warm because you’ve been out all day?  The TV and refrigerator are hooked onto an outlet that apparently run independent to the electrical cut off switch tied to your room key.  The Aircon, lights and bathroom outlets are tied into that cut off switch.

Secondly – the Flipper House has outlets with the ground plug (three pronged plug).  It irritated me to no end that at the Residence Garden, they could only accommodate 2-prong plugs from devices your brought from home.  In my case, my computer comes with a three-pronged plug.  Because of that, I’m no going to stay at the RG again, even though I liked the room.  

The mini-suite comes with a tub, not a shower.  This can be good or bad, depending on circumstance.  For instance, apparently my TG of the night last night (my first night) thought that just standing up in the tub and spraying water like Shamoo at a Sea World show was a good idea.  My bathroom was kinda flooded.  Oh well.  But the tub looks cool, at least conceptually.  

flipper_2.JPG

The mini-suite comes with a little sitting area.  And a generously large balcony that is empty of all furniture…too bad, it would be a good place to sit and have a beer at night.

Flipper_3.JPG

Flipper_1.JPG

Flipper_4.JPG

I like the Soi 7 location – I don’t notice any noise when I’m trying to sleep.  I’m more of a Soi 7/8 kinda guy than I am a Walking Street or Pattayaland kind of guy anyway.  

Made my reservations via internet which was easy.  One problem is that they want a deposit and won’t take a credit card by email.  I ended up snail mailing 1,000 baht I had at home all the way to Ptty to reserve my room.  But all-in-all, I’m happy with the Flipper House and my accommodations.  As always, YMMV.

Harv

Could you please post some more mini-reviews of other hotels to see what specials they are offering. I was thinking either Sawasdee mansion & guesthose, Roof Garden, or Weekender.

Ahh yes! - Harvey - looking at the room brings back beautiful memories. I enjoyed my stay there. The location and pool can't be beat - the only hassle I had was with the AC - Two temps  arctic or non -existent. I bought a fan and that did the trick. Enjoy your stay mate - sorry about "you know who". ;)

Flipper House is my favourite too, both times I've stayed there I booked over the internet and they never asked me for a deposit

They do ask for the taxi fare if you book it through them, I picked one up from the Thai limo stand it cost me 1800 and booked the return from the hotel only 1300

Smittyjp,

Please elaborate on why you did not care for Flipper House, and would prefer Flipper Lodge or RG.  I was considering a stay at Flipper House based on a better location than RG, but not having stayed there I welcome other's comments on the place.  Thanks.

SoCalGuy

Guest chrisgng22

theres been a pool at the house for the last 2 years that i know, bigger and better than the lodge,same location on the roof,carpets stink? there aint no carpets in the house,i prefer the lodge better why i dont know,more intimate i think

Sure does look like a carpet in Harvey's pictures of the room or it could be I'm not seeing it clearly?  Some hotels in Pattaya seem to have a tough time keeping  carpets in good shape, could be the weather, wear and tear or the way they clean them - the maid with the good old broom - no vacumn cleaners - takes it's toll.      

I got a reply from Flipper house soi 7 the day after i E-mailed them on flipperptty@hotmail.com.The price for an 18 night stay is 7700. For 14 nights(that's pay for 10 get 4 nights free.)Then it's 600B per night for the next 4 nights.This is in the old wing.New wing is 8800baht and 700B per night thereafter.My questions are.For the price difference Is the new wing a lot better than the old?What are the differences in respectable wings? AlsoCan anyone tell me if Flipper lodge on soi8 have the same 'free nights 'deals,if so i'd be grateful if someone can post the rates on the forum.THE DRUID [smiley=help.gif]

Guest chrisgng22

i never stayed in the suites,in the rooms there aint no carpets,the lodge rooms have carpet away from the bathroom,saves you slipping over near the bed ;)

Planet Wave,

The key to the air conditioning is to take the key off the wooden tag that is inserted into the AC control.  Leave the tag in the control and just take the key with you when you leave.  When you come back your room will be cool instead of hot and you won't have to crack up the AC to cool the room off.

CJ

Floyd, I was in 777.  Your room looks exactly like mine.  What room were you in?

I've just returned from Pty. On arrival I checked into the Eastiny Place at a rate of 750, but later noticed the Flipper House offer of "Stay for 14 nights and pay for only 10). Next day I signed up for this deal.

One downside ! - they could only offer me a room with two beds, although these are of a reasonable size to accomodate two. The total price for 14 nights was 8800 - not bad.

Also I would rate the large Eastiny Place pool as better for excercise swimming. Although for this you can always go to Pattaya Park !.

Guest Fatboyfat

Harvey,

would I be right in assuming that the mini-suite there is in fact just an, albeit larger than normal, single room. I always thought of Suites having seperate bedroom and living room.

Another question is regarding the bed-size; The one in your photo looks much smaller than those in the Flipper Lodge. Would that be a fair assessment.

I've been considering a House stay, rather than Lodge for a while, but tend to always go back to "the devil you know" syndrome.

Harvey,

would I be right in assuming that the mini-suite there is in fact just an, albeit larger than normal, single room. I always thought of Suites having seperate bedroom and living room.

Another question is regarding the bed-size; The one in your photo looks much smaller than those in the Flipper Lodge. Would that be a fair assessment.

I've been considering a House stay, rather than Lodge for a while, but tend to always go back to "the devil you know" syndrome.

Actually, it's why they bill it as  "mini-suite".  

But the bed is really large - I think the size gets lost in translation.  Plenty large enough for 3 or 4 folks at once.

:-)

Harv

Harvey,

Another reason for the low occupancy rate, they keep building more hotels and adding on to others.  Unless they start tearing down existing hotels or tourism not only gets back to normal but actually increases, we will continue to see good deals except maybe during the Christmas/Ney Years period.

Emil

Harvey thanks for the pm. I was able to secure a deluxe room for newyears at 1030 baht in the new wing. Unfortunately i was unable to set a mini suite but it seems prices are down on what their website has prices published at.

Harvey thanks for the pm. I was able to secure a deluxe room for newyears at 1030 baht in the new wing. Unfortunately i was unable to set a mini suite but it seems prices are down on what their website has prices published at.

Yeah Floyd, the time over new years is peak season and prices rise.  (I'm here in the middle of low season now).

I was in Pattaya over the 1999/2000 holiday.  I celebrated the millenium with a bunch of pals, some great TGs, over on third road where we were listening to live Thai music on one of those performance stages (complete with dancers!), having Thai food, whiskey and sodas, and a New Year countdown in Thai.

Fun!

Enjoy your trip over the holidays.  Only 6 more months!

:-)

Harv

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

My last trip was May-2003 and I stayed at the Sabi-Lodge on Soi2 for 5 days. Sabai Lodge has always been a favorite place for me to stay at and the staff has always been excellent with their services.

The only down fall I had this trip was that the water pressure was not constant and there was a problem with ants.  But I had plan on staying only a short time here and had already made plans to stay at the Flipper House for trhe remainer of my trip.

My stay at the Flipper House was good and the noise problem was not a concern. I stayed in Rm-420. The only down side to the Flipper was that the main Lift was out of service at least once a day and my room was a little on the small side compared to the rooms at the Sabai Lodge. What I did like was that the TV-remote was a hand held. As for the one comment on the smell of the room  from the carpeting - that is MILDEW - and  is a health issue and should not be tolerated.

I've learned from experience if the hotel whats a deposit, I look elsewhere. The Flipper was advertising thier special which required  paying upfront along with a 500b deposit. I thought about it and went ahead with the offer. The going rate was 770b without the special and approx 630b with the special. Where they get you on this  deal is that they give you the smaller room. I had no problem getting my deposit back

What I did like is that anything I needed was all within walking distance of the hotel. Beside the Ladies, TOPS, places to eat and laundry services, It was great. My next trip I will be staying at the Flipper Lodge on Soi8.

The only suggestion I would like to share is when you are going to BF a lot of women and still want to have your privacy, rent a room somewhere else and if you are traveling with a friend - split the cost of the room.  

BobSJ

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned. Stayed the first night at Flipper House. Checked out of FH and into the Sunshine Tower the next day. No comparison.

My FH room had filthy carpeting, mildew bathroom, mildew smell and C- hotel staff. I was in the new wing. YMMV

No one around to take ID when I brought back BG at 2:30 AM and that put me in a position I would have liked to avoid. I rolled the dice and had no problems, fun lady. Still, if I had brought home a freelancer, I don't know if I would have let her upstairs. GS