Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

New name for the combined American Airlines and US Air Airlines

A new name will be needed for the combined American Airlines and US Air Airlines Airline.

I offer the following: "Scare America"

Any other suggestions?

How about " Monopoly Air".. These large mergers give the airlines a monopoly on flights and can now charge even higher rates.

Ya' think. :banana I decided several years ago that I would never again fly in the butt end of an American MD-80. God invented American Express cards for a reason.

It would be important to retain "American" in the name for marketing. It is also clear that U.S. airlines are becoming less and less competitive in the global marketplace. Therefore the appropriate name should be "Last American Airlines".

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

US airlines are at the bottom for service, and are best avoided when possible. When flying overseas from US to Asia, I almost always take Singapore Airlines,Eva,Malaysia airlines etc... but avoid US airlines. One time, I did one flight with Northwest when they were around, and it was mostly grandmother flight attendants with bad attitudes to match on a flight from Narita to LAX. The airlines in the US domestic services suck also.

US airlines are at the bottom for service, and are best avoided when possible. When flying overseas from US to Asia, I almost always take Singapore Airlines,Eva,Malaysia airlines etc... but avoid US airlines. One time, I did one flight with Northwest when they were around, and it was mostly grandmother flight attendants with bad attitudes to match on a flight from Narita to LAX. The airlines in the US domestic services suck also.

They get you from A-B, mostly safely, efficiently and quite punctual.

They have a captive market that seems quite 'patriotic'.

I couldn't get my USA colleagues to fly a non-USA carrier to China to save their lives, they were horrified that I would suggest them not getting their Airmiles! It was pretty much as you described. :D

• 2 weeks later...

How about " Monopoly Air".. These large mergers give the airlines a monopoly on flights and can now charge even higher rates.

Since there are other airlines it can't be a monopoly.

Even saying "airlines" means more than one and mono means one.

Since there are other airlines it can't be a monopoly.

Even saying "airlines" means more than one and mono means one.

Yes but such mergers are often required to be approved by the monopolies commission and the reason being reduced competition in the market.

I think it is now referred to as the Bureau of Competition.

• 1 month later...

They get you from A-B, mostly safely, efficiently and quite punctual.

They have a captive market that seems quite 'patriotic'.

I couldn't get my USA colleagues to fly a non-USA carrier to China to save their lives, they were horrified that I would suggest them not getting their Airmiles! It was pretty much as you described. :D

Do you understand how much value those Airmiles have?

I just took a trip to BKK last month, AA had a double miles deal. Since I already earn Double miles with my status I earned enough miles for a free one-way trip in Business Class to BKK.

I have flown on all the non-USA carriers, some are good some not, just like anything else.

As for you 'patriotic' quote, I burn all my AA miles on non-USA carriers that I like. But the main point of flying is to get from point a to point b safely.

Do you understand how much value those Airmiles have?

A lot have expired for me, so they were worthless.

And the value of them decreases frequently.

What use is a one way trip if you need to get back.

Availability of mileage tickets... well it is quite poor, I rarely find anything that fits.

Perhaps the USA carriers do better.

But they don't in the cabin, I was once given a plastic cup of Pepsi and some peanuts, pathetic!.

A lot have expired for me, so they were worthless.

And the value of them decreases frequently.

What use is a one way trip if you need to get back.

Availability of mileage tickets... well it is quite poor, I rarely find anything that fits.

Perhaps the USA carriers do better.

But they don't in the cabin, I was once given a plastic cup of Pepsi and some peanuts, pathetic!.

My example on the one way trip was just what I earned on my trip last month, it could be a round trip in coach, but I would rather fly in business class. I have 300,000 plus in my AA account, not the only airline I fly. I do a family vacation each year, in First Class and I only pay the taxes. Last year to BKK on JAL/CX/AA, all in First Class, total of less than $400. It is a game with the airlines but you can win if you play smart. I am different from most people, I fly every week with my job so I am earning miles all the time. But anyone can do this with credit cards. I see too many people that love going to the LOS and only fly the cheapest ticket that they can find. If you are making 2-3-4 trips a year you are not playing the game right. Every two trips will get you free flights and also get you status with the airlines. Even if I fly coach with my status I can use the clubs at the airports, every little thing helps make the trip better.

My example on the one way trip was just what I earned on my trip last month, it could be a round trip in coach, but I would rather fly in business class. I have 300,000 plus in my AA account, not the only airline I fly. I do a family vacation each year, in First Class and I only pay the taxes. Last year to BKK on JAL/CX/AA, all in First Class, total of less than $400. It is a game with the airlines but you can win if you play smart. I am different from most people, I fly every week with my job so I am earning miles all the time. But anyone can do this with credit cards. I see too many people that love going to the LOS and only fly the cheapest ticket that they can find. If you are making 2-3-4 trips a year you are not playing the game right. Every two trips will get you free flights and also get you status with the airlines. Even if I fly coach with my status I can use the clubs at the airports, every little thing helps make the trip better.

Quite a lot of the cheaper Economy Class tickets offer reduced or perhaps even no airmiles ex Europe.

I also think there is quite a difference on how it works with the US Carriers and US based guys... better deals there.

Sure if you fly a lot with your work you can do real well, but I don't, that also means I really don't use a Credit Card that often for big ticket items... a First Class ticket I bought last year was too much for all but my Amex... no miles!

As I pay for my own air-tickets I would rather save £200 than limit myself to a more expensive carrier just for the mileage.... I struggle to make them one and the same.:D

And I only fly long-haul 2 times a year round trip these days... so I tend to focus on price.