Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Buying another Garmin GPS

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got the update a couple of weeks ago and it is much better now. The Android Smartphone Link works great now, where before it was totally useless.   I can go to google maps, place a pin on that map

I looked at Tuk com but decided to buy my Garmin from Central Festival 3rd floor for around 7500 baht around 15 months ago...you can now get them with the camera attachment which records your travel m

Gonzo, they sell them in Tuk Com in Pattaya, I bought a Chinese version for 4000 baht and it works perfectly well. I take it back every 6 months and the guy updates the maps for me free of charge. He

Posted Images

If anyone is interested, the recently released CN THAILAND NT 2013.40 (DUAL) ALL map is now available.

I went to SMART ICON CO.LTD. on the ground floor at TUKCOM yesterday to have the free upgrade installed on my nüvi 3560LM by their friendly staff.

The upgrade wiped out all my previously saved locations on the GPS, but that isn't a big deal. The new map is working fine and seems to be an improvement on the 2013.10 version.

It would be great for guys to put together a directory of coordinates for out of the way bars and other places of interest for mongers. As for myself, I find the decimal format easiest to use.

I have posted coordinates for darkside and the BJ places before. It would help to have a section where they could be located to make them easier to find

I have posted coordinates for darkside and the BJ places before. It would help to have a section where they could be located to make them easier to find

Could you put them in the FAQ section? I'd pin the topic if you do.

I guess I am lost since I can not find the FAQ section...

BJ Bars:

Carre Blanc (12 55.505N 100 52.972E)

Bliss Lounge (12 55.755N 100 53.329E)

Club 4 (12 55.696N 100 53.535E)

Le Telephone (12 55.186N 100 53.634E)

Darkside:

Aqua Deymie (12 55.761N 100 55.951E)

Butterfly Bar (12 55.821N 100 56.445E)

White Oyster (12 56.627N 100 56.423E) old Black Pearl Two

Doa Café (12 55.623N 100 54.512E) located in the back

La Guinguette (12 56,047N 100 57.199E)

Gentlemen’s Clubs:

Kinearee Place (12 54.838N 100 51.810E)

Rioja (12 53.705N 100 53.320E)

Sapphire Lodge (12 54.895N 100 51.539E)

Found it  but it says I can not open  a new topic :-(

I've got to do it m oh, well.

Okay, I'll copy your data into a post.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I've got to do it m oh, well.

Okay, I'll copy your data into a post.

Good idea ttk for a FAQ pinned post. Martin, would you mind including my Darkside info in the FAQ as well? Here's the text with hyperlinks.

Darkside Bars
Google Maps link
Google Earth file link
GPS file (gpx) link
  • Upvote 1

Good idea ttk for a FAQ pinned post. Martin, would you mind including my Darkside info in the FAQ as well? Here's the text with hyperlinks.

Darkside Bars
Google Maps link
Google Earth file link
GPS file (gpx) link

will do

• 8 months later...

I don't know how long the latest Garmin map has been available, but got the free update from Smart Icon Co.Ltd. at the ground floor of Tukcom 2 days ago.

It seems to be working fine and is an improvement to the previous version.

1THAILAND DEM

2 CN THAILAND NT 2.40 3D

3 CN SGMY NT 2014.30-MALSING ALL

4 CN THAILAND NT 2014.30 (DUAL) ALL

I got the update a couple of weeks ago and it is much better now. The Android Smartphone Link works great now, where before it was totally useless.

I can go to google maps, place a pin on that map, then send that map location to the Garmin over Bluetooth and add it was a saved place or destination.

• Upvote 2

None of the new Garmins can play my Audible books. For that reason, I plan on buying the cheapest unit available. That would be this one;

http://www.eaglegps.co.th/index.php/en/products/automotive-main-menu1/product/32-nuvi-42

For less than 3,000 baht, I don't see how you could go wrong. My Nuvi 855 is getting glitchy. Turns itself off once in a while and has some spots on the screen. It DOES play my Audible books so I am not anxious to retire it.

Turning itself off doesn't sound like a big deal. BUT, The 855 has a removable battery. I have to take out the battery and put it back in to reset the unit. The old 750 hasn't had any problems since it was recalled for a possible battery problem. My wife uses it but I plan on taking it back and using it. It too plays Audible books.

Edited by Gary
  • Upvote 1

I got the update a couple of weeks ago and it is much better now. The Android Smartphone Link works great now, where before it was totally useless.

I can go to google maps, place a pin on that map, then send that map location to the Garmin over Bluetooth and add it was a saved place or destination.

Good and useful information that. Thanks. :thumbup

None of the new Garmins can play my Audible books. For that reason, I plan on buying the cheapest unit available. That would be this one;

http://www.eaglegps.co.th/index.php/en/products/automotive-main-menu1/product/32-nuvi-42

For less than 3,000 baht, I don't see how you could go wrong. My Nuvi 855 is getting glitchy. Turns itself off once in a while and has some spots on the screen. It DOES play my Audible books so I am not anxious to retire it.

Turning itself off doesn't sound like a big deal. BUT, The 855 has a removable battery. I have to take out the battery and put it back in to reset the unit. The old 750 hasn't had any problems since it was recalled for a possible battery problem. My wife uses it but I plan on taking it back and using it. It too plays Audible books.

The nuvi-42 is popular and costs less than THB 3000. I paid THB 12790 for the nuvi 3560 LM, probably too much, but I am happy with it. It speaks English English, American English and Australian English, which makes it a multilingual GPS. :smile:

The nuvi-42 is popular and costs less than THB 3000. I paid THB 12790 for the nuvi 3560 LM, probably too much, but I am happy with it. It speaks English English, American English and Australian English, which makes it a multilingual GPS. :smile:

I'll bet it also speaks Eastern Thai (Issan/Lao), Northern Thai (Chiang Mai/Lanna) and Central Thai...at least my lower model does. It's a hoot to put it in Lao and the missus perks up and pays attention to it (finally). She hates that I believe the Garmin more than her..it's almost jealousy.

Not wanting to put your lady or any other Thai lady down, but I'd believe any GPS more then any Thai female in respect to directions and turn left or right, distances etc.

Been led astray too often.

However, Noi is an exception, when she uses her own GPSon her phone, very skilled, and often outsmarting my iPad GPS programme.

Not wanting to put your lady or any other Thai lady down, but I'd believe any GPS more then any Thai female in respect to directions and turn left or right, distances etc.

Been led astray too often.

However, Noi is an exception, when she uses her own GPSon her phone, very skilled, and often outsmarting my iPad GPS programme.

It's about 50/50 who's correct, but I lean towards the technological guidance and that, along with the female voice, causes subtle friction.

As to Noi's guidance, she obviously doesn't use Apple gear, and that's to her advantage :P

• 1 month later...

No, she uses her Android phone.

But I wan to get her a car based Garmin. Can anyone tell me what shop in Pattaya can they not only sell, but also advise and explain, both thai and English. I look for a retaailer who can give expert service, too..

Don't worry, I just reread the whole thread and now have my answer.
good thread, useful!

Edited by ikkrang

I'm also in the market for a Garmin Sat Nav in the next 3-4 weeks.

Think I will go for the Nuvi 2567LM, seems to do everything I need and mid priced at 7490 THB on

http://www.eaglegps.co.th/index.php/en/products/automotive-main-menu1/product/73-nuevi-2567lm has anybody used this company for an online purchase before, and if so were they reliable.

Do all the Garmins now purchased in Thailand come with the ESRI map already installed, or do you have to specify this map when ordering ? You all seem to take the units back to where you purchased for an update to the map, has anybody updated their map online via the Garmin website ? http://www.garmin.co.th/mapupdate/ I am located in Nakhon Phanom so taking it into a retailer will not be an option, I think.

Thanks for any help, I'm new to this Sat Nav business.

Regards

Garmin offers their own Thailand map and I can tell you that I wasted a hundred dollars buying it. It sucks and the ESRI map is cheaper and way better.

Eagle GPS is managed by a farang who is a real stand up guy. Morris helps in any way he can. If you expect any support for your Garmin, Morris is the right guy to buy from.

ADDED - The model you are looking at, 2567LM has free lifetime maps. ESRI updates their maps frequently.

Edited by Gary
  • 1 month later...

Just a quick update, I purchased the Nuvi 2567LM for 7490 THB last week from Maurycy at http://www.eaglegps.co.th/index.php/en/. he is located in Chiang Mai. Really really good service and very helpful guy to deal with. I carried out the purchase via email and sent the cash to him via bank transfer. My Garmin arrived two days later at my house in Nakhon Phanom via Thailand's EMS Postal Service.

Used the unit yesterday for a trip from Nakhon Phanom to Udon Thani, although I knew the route to our destination in Udon I thought it would be a good try out. I was very impressed, as I deviated from the suggested route by using some small sois that I knew as shortcuts, the unit quickly re-calibrated itself then worked out a new route to our destination, most impressed. We were supposed to be doing a road trip to Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai next week which is what I bought the unit for, but it looks like that trip might be on hold due to a house move within Nakhon Phanom.

Although I still need to get into the guts of the unit to learn all the various functions that it can carryout. Have to learn how to get the GPS coordinates from Google Earth into the unit via my phone.

I can highly recommend dealing with Maurycy at eagle GPS, great service.

Regards

Edited by Fireman Sam

Just a quick update, I purchased the Nuvi 2567LM for 7490 THB last week from Maurycy at http://www.eaglegps.co.th/index.php/en/. he is located in Chiang Mai. Really really good service and very helpful guy to deal with. I carried out the purchase via email and sent the cash to him via bank transfer. My Garmin arrived two days later at my house in Nakhon Phanom via Thailand's EMS Postal Service.

Used the unit yesterday for a trip from Nakhon Phanom to Udon Thani, although I knew the route to our destination in Udon I thought it would be a good try out. I was very impressed, as I deviated from the suggested route by using some small sois that I knew as shortcuts, the unit quickly re-calibrated itself then worked out a new route to our destination, most impressed. We were supposed to be doing a road trip to Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai next week which is what I bought the unit for, but it looks like that trip might be on hold due to a house move within Nakhon Phanom.

Although I still need to get into the guts of the unit to learn all the various functions that it can carryout. Have to learn how to get the GPS coordinates from Google Earth into the unit via my phone.

I can highly recommend dealing with Maurycy at eagle GPS, great service.

Regards

Give it a try round the tunnel construction in Pattaya and see how that works out for you! :D