Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Ordering drinks....Spirits

I just cant seem to get a decent drink of spirits in Thailand...do they pour half nips or is it just generally watered down.I normally order gin and tonic,it normally comes in quite a small glass that should provide a nice alchohol clout,but it doesn't,in fact I can hardly taste the alcohol.This seems to be in the vast majority of bars.

I always end up switching back to beers.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sad and cheap try...I was banned from the secretologists years ago... you was banned a few days ago...the last station for you...

Lets say the government puts the price of electricirty1 baht for a unit, The bar then raises prices about 5 baht per drink. It doesn't take much thought to figure out who is lining their pockets. Big

You've got this huge prejudice against those who spend money, especially if they're Asian.The question was whether the tour groups come into gogos, and the answer is they do not. You see a group of

Posted Images

I think it was PattayaPete who once told me years ago that the Pattaya bars adopted the English measure of a "shot" with a 25ml measure. While in America the common measure was closer to 45ml.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_glass

So even before others come on and suggest that it might be a problem with bottom shelf products, watered down products, or other slight of hand gimmicks that are used in many bars around the world... you have to realize that your starting with a standard that might be half of what you are use to.

Bottom line: good bars serve a good drink that encourages the patrons to buy another round... poor bars don't. Personally, I drink beers in Pattaya bars, my old favorite Jack Daniels in my home and lots and lots or Rum in AC.

Actually in the U.S, we pour drinks with 1 fluid ounce of alcohol which is equal to 30 ml.. The clever bartenders in the U.S. use their spillage allowances to take care of good customers and usually pour 1.5 ounce shots or closer to 45 ml. What they make get socked in coming up short on a stock check is nothing compared to what they make it in tips for hooking up customers and giving them good drinks..

Thailand...that is a different story altogether

There are variations in shot sizes depending on the country....

If you want strong shots, go to Albania, Bulgaria, Russia, Poland, Kazakhstan and several others where the shots are 50ml..nearly 2 oz!

I believe Thailand shots are typically 25 ml for a single shot...

shot1.jpg

shot2.jpg

shot3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Too many games being played with mixed drinks...... from small measures, to poor quality well drinks being substituted for what you ordered, watered down drinks and charging separately for the mixers.

A tough job for good management to keep an eye on.

Edited by jacko

Too many games being played with mixed drinks...... from small measures, to poor quality well drinks being substituted for what you ordered, watered down drinks and charging separately for the mixers.

A tough job for management to keep an eye on

LOL. What a load of nonsense. Management waters down the whiskey. Management substitutes cheap booze for expensive. I'd say it's management whose the thief.

LOL. What a load of nonsense. Management waters down the whiskey. Management substitutes cheap booze for expensive. I'd say it's management whose the thief.

You do not know shit, let managers speak. I modified my post slightly to make it clearer nevertheless.

I have sat there as a friend argued with a manager as to whether he was serving what was ordered.

Edited by jacko

You do not know shit, let managers speak. I modified my post slightly to make it clearer nevertheless.

I have sat there as a friend argued with a manager as to whether he was serving what was ordered.

LOL. I know more then you.

Whenever I order a jack coke, I order the can of coke separate from the JD, so I can mix it myself to taste and also see if the JD is not watered down. Of course as the night goes on I get less and less particular.

As spirits are normally mixed, unless you have particularly sensitive taste buds, it is hard to tell. People's taste perceptions are also different, for example until this day I swear I can't tell the difference between Mekhong coke and Bacardi coke! (remember that taste and flavour are two connected but essentially different things).

Substituting drinks for others is an age old practice. up until a few years ago even in the UK some unscrupulous Pub landlords or staff would swap Tesco's vodka for Finlandia or use other such substitutes.

It might come as no surprise that one or more bars not only in Pattaya but across SEA as a whole have been guilty of this nefarious act. Regardless of who is at fault, Manager , staff or whoever, the bottom line is that we're the ones getting ripped off.

Sad fact the spirits are more often water down or of poor quality. You expect a Gin & tonic pour from a Gordon gin bottle would have constant taste for a average gin but often this is not the case from bar to bar. Sometimes its better just to order beer to avoid the ripped offs.

In the UK , the weights and measures brigade go around making random spot checks in licensed premises throughout the country , and if you are a pub or club landlord or owner and you get caught doctoring the drinks in any way and that includes draft beer you are fucked , you will lose your licence permanently and get fined up to £ 10.000 and or get 12 months in prison , it is classed as a very serious offence because of the amount of money that can be made by doing this , as for Thailand nothing like this happens as there are no inspectors and no checks made , and even if there was any i guarantee they would be getting nice back handers for turning a blind eye like the rest of Thai officials do , the bottom line is if you want to get what you pay for go to a 7-11 and buy a sealed bottle of spirits and take it back to your condo / hotel and drink it.......!!!

If any bar does this the increase in profit is so minimal it's crazy , a bottle of vodka is about 350 baht , I would guess 30 shots from a bottle so for the sake of 11 baht the risk is losing a customer !!!

In Vegas free booze is given to punters , I would say a person who is getting a good drink is far more likely to buy lady drinks and stay there, in time must be a losing strategy as the cost price if a short is lower than a beer ,,

Anyone doing this is doing the worst scam ever , weighed against lost customers reading here people won't buy the shorts is evidence enough ???

since a long time ago I never buy sprits in a bar. for the reasons above, i8 like no problems so only order drinks I can see opened so I only dink spirits at home. I may add I love it that way

Most of the bottles in Thailand have the plastic insert near the top. This can be removed, but your risk breaking the neck of the bottle

The reason it is there..? To stop people from putting in a cheap liquor and selling it in the expensive bottle. (JW Red and Black all have the inserts)

I have noticed that even the Thai whiskeys (Blend 285 and Hong Thong ) are starting to go to this also

But most Thai Bars sell it as they were in the old west...by the bottle

I found this crazy, but after being here the last 17 months, it has become a normal thing

They will watch the price of Blend 285 (cost is 242-255 at the store) and they will pay up to 100 Baht more at a bar

Then get charged 30 baht for a 5 baht bottle of soda. Most use 12 mixers per bottle,. Now add the bucket of ice @ 30 baht (x4) and the bar can make a nice little profit off this sale by the bottle.

They love there whiskey here, but they don't see how much they spend on it. ( Blend 285@345+360+120 = 835 Baht)

Edited by Greg_B

If any bar does this the increase in profit is so minimal it's crazy , a bottle of vodka is about 350 baht , I would guess 30 shots from a bottle so for the sake of 11 baht the risk is losing a customer !!!

In Vegas free booze is given to punters , I would say a person who is getting a good drink is far more likely to buy lady drinks and stay there, in time must be a losing strategy as the cost price if a short is lower than a beer ,,

Anyone doing this is doing the worst scam ever , weighed against lost customers reading here people won't buy the shorts is evidence enough

Agreed, it's stupid for management to support or condone it...even though your numbers not very accurate.

The bigger risk is that the staff/bartenders are putting the premium stuff in their own bottles, watering down the bar's bottles, and then consuming the good stuff or selling it outside the bar.

As I recall, a decent vodka runs between 700-900 baht, where a rotgut vodka typically sold at happy hours in many bars, will run 250-350 bottle...even so, the cost of a good vodka shot is say, 30b, and a rotgut vodka shot is 10b...but with the prices they are charging, and the risk of their reputation going to hell for a 20b cheat...it's short sighted to say the least.

But then again, the long view isn't well practiced around here.

Of concern for visitors to Thailand:

There is a chance of getting sick from drinking mixed drinks and/or any kind of drink with ice. I cannot recall what it is called, is a low grade illness. But you will eventually require medical attention. I have had several friends and associates contract it over the years.

In the past the better establishments would use ice made from filtered water. My memory it is delivered in "blue" plastic bags. Non filtered in regular clear plastic.

Local expats develop an immunity so they are not usually bothered.

Unless I know the establishment is serving filtered ice I drink spirits "neat" or stick with beer & wine.

Of concern for visitors to Thailand:

There is a chance of getting sick from drinking mixed drinks and/or any kind of drink with ice. I cannot recall what it is called, is a low grade illness. But you will eventually require medical attention. I have had several friends and associates contract it over the years.

In the past the better establishments would use ice made from filtered water. My memory it is delivered in "blue" plastic bags. Non filtered in regular clear plastic.

Local expats develop an immunity so they are not usually bothered.

Unless I know the establishment is serving filtered ice I drink spirits "neat" or stick with beer & wine.

Common tern used is food poisoning. Years ago, I was walking around Pattaya and came across a ice making plant. I walked in and looked around. They were freezing tap water with no filters present. Later I saw the trucks on soi 6 delivering ice. When I was in the US Army, I inspected ice making plants for sanitation. I know what to look for.

Actually this is something separate from food poisoning although your point is an excellent one.

My memory is it starts out some kind of irritation with the urinary tract/prostate and spreads from there. Many who get it think they have picked up something from a babe and get treated for an STD which usually knock it out.

I don't know why... the ice, the peeled fruits or whatever .... I have a 10 months permanent diarrhea whilst stay here....no any problems back home...

I don't know why... the ice, the peeled fruits or whatever .... I have a 10 months permanent diarrhea whilst stay here....no any problems back home...

Really TMI, Gabor!

A couple of British girls got very ill indeed from drinking booze which was tainted with methanol , in fact sadly one died as a result. Apparently adulterating the spirits with methanol is a practice observed in some areas of the world. We use methanol / water injection in race engines to reduce detonation and cool the combustion temperatures down, and it is also used as an additive to compressors during the winter months to stop the water freezing inside the lines. I can only imagine how fucked one would be if it was consumed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2325963/Cheznye-Emmons-British-backpacker-23-dies-drinking-poisoned-alcohol-Indonesia.html

Maybe a bit more extreme than watering down spirits though.

I have a mate,who used to own a gogo in Soi Diamond.There was a few of us sitting around the table ,and I put the question to him,and another mate at the table was complaining about the weak spirits as well.

Phil was surprised and took us over to the Bar counter and showed us the standard steel nip pourer that they used.He had no idea of any scam ( and I believe him,he is not like that) So I don't know what the story was.If the Mamasam or drink waiter waters down the spirits how do they retrieve any profits from it if all bills itemized? I know nothing about how a bar system works.

I have a mate,who used to own a gogo in Soi Diamond.There was a few of us sitting around the table ,and I put the question to him,and another mate at the table was complaining about the weak spirits as well.

Phil was surprised and took us over to the Bar counter and showed us the standard steel nip pourer that they used.He had no idea of any scam ( and I believe him,he is not like that) So I don't know what the story was.If the Mamasam or drink waiter waters down the spirits how do they retrieve any profits from it if all bills itemized? I know nothing about how a bar system works.

Possibly by sneaking bottles out of the door.