Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Ordering drinks....Spirits

People often spout this but many owners won't look further than the current moment.

And why not, their customers are mostly transient, tourist visitors more than the Expats.... who mostly spend little.

Give them a daft 2 week millionaire every night and he is welcome to get his kit off and dance on stage so long as he rings that bell!

Spout ? I was simply saying it must harm their business long term, a two weaker who get no drink in his drink no pun intended probably won't go back... The profit made from the non drink is the cost price of the drink, even in this thread peoole have said thye wont buy shorts .

How many tourists return ?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sad and cheap try...I was banned from the secretologists years ago... you was banned a few days ago...the last station for you...

Lets say the government puts the price of electricirty1 baht for a unit, The bar then raises prices about 5 baht per drink. It doesn't take much thought to figure out who is lining their pockets. Big

You've got this huge prejudice against those who spend money, especially if they're Asian.The question was whether the tour groups come into gogos, and the answer is they do not. You see a group of

Posted Images

Spout ? I was simply saying it must harm their business long term, a two weaker who get no drink in his drink no pun intended probably won't go back... The profit made from the non drink is the cost price of the drink, even in this thread peoole have said thye wont buy shorts .

How many tourists return ?

Nothing meant other than it is a something I read often here.... I just think the bar-owners realise where the money is.

I don't expect many Expats are big bell ringers and ping-pong ball fanatics.

Lots of new tourist arrive daily.......and the old stalwarts who have been away for some months.

I personally don't drink shorts/mixed drinks as they don't last me long enough.......I also have a fear of drinking too much alcohol and falling down the Sugar Baby steps. Maybe a good thing they don't mix them on the street like I mix them at home!

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

Nothing meant other than it is a something I read often here.... I just think the bar-owners realise where the money is.

I don't expect many Expats are big bell ringers and ping-pong ball fanatics.

Lots of new tourist arrive daily.......

I personally don't drink shorts/mixed drinks as they don't last me long enough.......I also have a fear of drinking too much alcohol and falling down the Sugar baby steps. Maybe a good thing they don't mix them on the street like I mix them at home!

I dont see many new tourists, certainly no go go bar visitors, most have visited before I would say.

Tourists arrive daily, how new they are is another matter

Edited by Parkwahn
  • Downvote 1

A couple of British girls got very ill indeed from drinking booze which was tainted with methanol , in fact sadly one died as a result. Apparently adulterating the spirits with methanol is a practice observed in some areas of the world. We use methanol / water injection in race engines to reduce detonation and cool the combustion temperatures down, and it is also used as an additive to compressors during the winter months to stop the water freezing inside the lines. I can only imagine how fucked one would be if it was consumed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2325963/Cheznye-Emmons-British-backpacker-23-dies-drinking-poisoned-alcohol-Indonesia.html

Maybe a bit more extreme than watering down spirits though.

Similar thing happened to the brother of a friend of my son. He bought a mixed drink which was poured in front of him and his friends. The methanol in the dodgy spirit killed him. The kid was 19, he had just competed in the U19 world lacrosse titles for Australia.

In Thailand they just use dodgy replacement booze, in Indonesia they use methanol.

I dont see many new tourists, certainly no go go bar visitors, most have visited before I would say.

Tourists arrive daily, how new they are is another matter

They led a bloody tour group into one I was in!

Which Gogo was that? I thought they'd stopped that after Polo closed.

A crowd of Chinese were trying to get into SS on soi 8, didn't spot a flag but they were certainly a group!

Did Gabor not mention one recently? I thought there were still one or 2 places taking them in on the Walking St.

Polo, now there was a place for being hassled for tips and drinks!

Hi MM. I thing there is no more place to accept full big groups (like a full bus, 40-50 people?) but I still see smaller groups (12-15 people) going in agogos like SugarBaby, Peppermint, SweatHearts and of course SuperBaby.

Baccara has contracts with tour guides, who encourage their tourists to pay the ladydrinks, throwing the ping pong balls instead of the entry fee.... as a girl told me...

• Downvote 2

Baccara has contracts with tour guides, who encourage their tourists to pay the ladydrinks, throwing the ping pong balls instead of the entry fee.... as a girl told me...

I find it hard to believe you can "encourage" (with any success) members of a Chinese tour group to spend money if you haven't gotten it from them up front. I think your girl might not quite understand the arrangement, if any.

Also, why would Happy Group contract to bring in dodgy Chinese tourists to Baccara which is almost always full and couldn't accomodate any group size of more than 3, when they have other bars that are hurting for customers like Beach Club?

I think you should apply a critical eye to some of these tales from the girls...they usually don't have a clue what's really going on.

In Polo's case, the tour group members were charged something like 800 baht for a single drink and entrance to the gogo, Polo got 400 baht (for a single drink!), and the tour operator got 400b...collected IN ADVANCE...of course, this was told to me by a girl too :P

• Upvote 2

You have to distinguish between "behind-the-flag" tour groups led by a guide (an employee of a travel and tour company) and informal groups of individuals who know each other. I've never seen a "behind-the-flag" group enter a mainstream go go bar on WS or elsewhere in Pattaya, but it's an everyday occurrence for informal groups of Japanese and other Asian men to hit the bars together. Same-same as with farang. It's not uncommon for people to bar crawl together.

The tour guides may take their groups to the "bells-and-whistles" bars, but usually to establishments away from WS (what was it called, Big Eye?). Organized tour groups that follow flags aren't a factor for mainstream go go bars, even the ones that cater to Japanese.

Evil

:devil

• Upvote 2

I've never seen a "behind-the-flag" group enter a mainstream go go bar on WS or elsewhere in Pattaya, //

Just take a seat in the complex of bars ahead of Pattaya Beer Garden and look. You regularly have such "behind-the-flag" group stopping there to look some Thai boxing. They suddenly invade 4 or 5 different bars. The guide take care of everything: that means they all get the same drink ;), usually a beer bottle. And when it's time to left, everyone left, regardless of what they still have in their bottle. The guide of course pay for everyone. The interesting thing is that the following group will stop at 5 other bars in the complex. Clearly there is a list/order. That can explain why the nearly always empty bars in the back are still open.

Such group may stop at the other Thai boxing place too (below Marina disco) and I saw one a few times in Simon Complex too (the one opposite Tony's place)

As I said in my previous message, there are smaller groups too. They clearly are tourists (mainly Japanese?) and I imagine they are from 1 or 2 van/minibus rather than from a big bus. These small groups sometimes stop in agogos :nod

You have to distinguish between "behind-the-flag" tour groups led by a guide (an employee of a travel and tour company) and informal groups of individuals who know each other. I've never seen a "behind-the-flag" group enter a mainstream go go bar on WS or elsewhere in Pattaya, but it's an everyday occurrence for informal groups of Japanese and other Asian men to hit the bars together. Same-same as with farang. It's not uncommon for people to bar crawl together.

The tour guides may take their groups to the "bells-and-whistles" bars, but usually to establishments away from WS (what was it called, Big Eye?). Organized tour groups that follow flags aren't a factor for mainstream go go bars, even the ones that cater to Japanese.

Evil

This confirms my comment...I haven't seen "behind the flag" tour groups entering any gogo since Polo.

• Upvote 1

I find it hard to believe you can "encourage" (with any success) members of a Chinese tour group to spend money if you haven't gotten it from them up front. I think your girl might not quite understand the arrangement, if any.

Also, why would Happy Group contract to bring in dodgy Chinese tourists to Baccara which is almost always full and couldn't accomodate any group size of more than 3, when they have other bars that are hurting for customers like Beach Club?

I think you should apply a critical eye to some of these tales from the girls...they usually don't have a clue what's really going on.

In Polo's case, the tour group members were charged something like 800 baht for a single drink and entrance to the gogo, Polo got 400 baht (for a single drink!), and the tour operator got 400b...collected IN ADVANCE...of course, this was told to me by a girl too :P

Maybe... or maybe not... fact: masses of non monger tourists sits in the Baccara, throwing the ping pong balls and the ladydrinks... sitting their wifes next to them.....as the girl told me: good business, but never barfine... the ideal customers for the greedy barowners: throwing the money in the bar and don't drag away any girls... remember, they don't increased the barfines to the coyotee scam level...I think, with a good reason..whilst the girl"s demands skyrocketed... I think it explains a lot....

Maybe... or maybe not... fact: masses of non monger tourists sits in the Baccara, throwing the ping pong balls and the ladydrinks... sitting their wifes next to them.....as the girl told me: good business, but never barfine... the ideal customers for the greedy barowners: throwing the money in the bar and don't drag away any girls... remember, they don't increased the barfines to the coyotee scam level...I think, with a good reason..whilst the girl"s demands skyrocketed... I think it explains a lot....

You've got this huge prejudice against those who spend money, especially if they're Asian.

The question was whether the tour groups come into gogos, and the answer is they do not. You see a group of Asians, a girl tells you a tale, and you create a bullshit story out of whole cloth.

If the girl saw a group of farang coming into the bar on a bar crawl, would you think they came on a bus?

• Upvote 3

This confirms my comment...I haven't seen "behind the flag" tour groups entering any gogo since Polo.

You never mentioned flags until now.

Sometimes they use a little cuddly toy on a stick!

You never mentioned flags until now.

Sometimes they use a little cuddly toy on a stick!

I think you know what's meant..a tour group with a paid leader.

Anyone is free to go to a Go Go and free to throw ping pong balls their choice, as for GBO well a Buisness is designed to make a profit .. Not sure what your issue is ?

But happy it's yours and not mine

I think you know what's meant..a tour group with a paid leader.

What's meant...... ........actually I said tour group first and I wish I hadn't now! It all started over 'new tourists'

I often see a single Thai guy bringing a group of Asians into GoGos.

Semantics, such fun.

What's meant...... ........actually I said tour group first and I wish I hadn't now! It all started over 'new tourists'

I often see a single Thai guy bringing a group of Asians into GoGos.

Semantics, such fun.

So you're the one who started this silliness?

Just take a seat in the complex of bars ahead of Pattaya Beer Garden and look. You regularly have such "behind-the-flag" group stopping there to look some Thai boxing.

No doubt the tour groups sometimes look at Thai boxing, but that wasn't the issue under discussion. As MM wrote (my emphasis):

The question was whether the tour groups come into gogos, and the answer is they do not.

Whether "behind-the-flag" groups visit beer bars is irrelevant; the crucial point is that they don't follow a tour guide into gogos.

As I said in my previous message, there are smaller groups too. They clearly are tourists (mainly Japanese?) and I imagine they are from 1 or 2 van/minibus rather than from a big bus. These small groups sometimes stop in agogos :nod

Those small groups are mostly businessmen visiting Thailand for job-related reasons. They have no connection with the "behind-the-flag" group tours.

Evil

• Upvote 2

I was in Super Girl a few months back. A Thai guy brought in a group of about 20 Koreans, men and women. They were all given a bottle of Leo. They were given 3 baskets of ping pong balls between them. None of them were given a bin. They stayed about 20 minutes. The Thai guy led them out. I don't remember if he had a flag or not. I don't know how much they paid for their visit.

This thread has gone off topic a little.

I was in Super Girl a few months back. A Thai guy brought in a group of about 20 Koreans, men and women. They were all given a bottle of Leo. They were given 3 baskets of ping pong balls between them. None of them were given a bin. They stayed about 20 minutes. The Thai guy led them out. I don't remember if he had a flag or not. I don't know how much they paid for their visit.

This thread has gone off topic a little.

Given Superbaby's lack of customers lately, it's not surprising they've gone the route of Polo back in the day. They were undoubtedly charged an incredibly expensive amount for the privilege of tossing those gogo balls and drinking that Leo.

Okay...while not a flag following group of Asians, that does fit the bill as a tour group going into a gogo.

Now, does anyone think that happens at Baccara, as Gabor was told?

Given plahgat's difficulties in getting a single seat, imagine what a group of 20 would have to contend with.

Most of the bottles in Thailand have the plastic insert near the top. This can be removed, but your risk breaking the neck of the bottle

The reason it is there..? To stop people from putting in a cheap liquor and selling it in the expensive bottle. (JW Red and Black all have the inserts)

I have noticed that even the Thai whiskeys (Blend 285 and Hong Thong ) are starting to go to this also

But most Thai Bars sell it as they were in the old west...by the bottle

I found this crazy, but after being here the last 17 months, it has become a normal thing

They will watch the price of Blend 285 (cost is 242-255 at the store) and they will pay up to 100 Baht more at a bar

Then get charged 30 baht for a 5 baht bottle of soda. Most use 12 mixers per bottle,. Now add the bucket of ice @ 30 baht (x4) and the bar can make a nice little profit off this sale by the bottle.

They love there whiskey here, but they don't see how much they spend on it. ( Blend 285@345+360+120 = 835 Baht)

Greg,

Are you including the tamper proof pourers such as the ones that come on a BenMoore Bottle? Seemed pretty "tamper proof" to me.

You've got this huge prejudice against those who spend money, especially if they're Asian.

The question was whether the tour groups come into gogos, and the answer is they do not. You see a group of Asians, a girl tells you a tale, and you create a bullshit story out of whole cloth.

If the girl saw a group of farang coming into the bar on a bar crawl, would you think they came on a bus?

I have my own prejudices about all of the brain dead LDOPs... not only the asians... The question is : " the tour groups come into gogos, and the answer is they do not. "... and the answer is YES... how else to explain the asian customers in mass next to them their wifes and rampage with the ladydrink and ping pong ball thing ???