Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

If bhat bus fare increases will motorcycle taxi fare follow?

If anyone knew what the fares are now we would know if there was an increase.

Most trips in central Pattaya are 50B for locals 60B for farangs on holiday. My Thai girlfriend could negotiate lower fares of 20B or 30B per person for very short trips. I took a picture a couple of years ago of a price list posted at a taxi stand that listed quite a few destinations. I will post the picture if I can find it.

I've seen it reported that bhat bus fare will increase to 20B in 2017. If this is true do you think motorcycle taxi fares will increase as a result?

I am expecting them to which is a shame.

Baht buses increased from 5 to 10 baht more than 10 years ago....Surely they are due an increase...I don't think the same can be said for the motorcy...

• Upvote 1

If we all maintain the 10 baht price and stick to it they have no choice. It'll keep Gabor happy because I'd much rather save 10 baht and then negotiate a 500 baht discount on a S/T from a lonely stretchmarked mother as it's a useful and productive method of spending my time while on holiday.

Everyone's a winner, the Thais know their place not to rip off farang, prices remain low for the next 20 years and only the LDOP group of asians manage to fuck all the pretty girls and drink the decent drinks because they can afford it. I'll take sloppy 3rds and cheap drinks any day of the week!.

• Upvote 1

I was paying 10 Baht when I started coming to Pattaya in 01 or 02. Given the rate of inflation over the years. IMHO they deserve a raise.

Like with most price rises everywhere an increase in such a basic service will undoubtedly flow on thru the system. Unfortunatley.

I was paying 10 Baht when I started coming to Pattaya in 01 or 02. Given the rate of inflation over the years. IMHO they deserve a raise.

To the tune of 100%?.

Actually it really wouldn't bother me, as I get pissed off at carrying 10 baht coins around in my pocket all the time. Sometimes I've got 300baht's worth weighing me down like a deep sea diver, at others I can't find one for love or money, so unless they re introduce the 10 baht note, I'm not too concerned.

Edited by Butch

To the tune of 100%?.

Actually it really wouldn't bother me, as I get pissed off at carrying 10 baht coins around in my pocket all the time. Sometimes I've got 300baht's worth weighing me down like a deep sea diver, at others I can't find one for love or money, so unless they re introduce the 10 baht note, I'm not too concerned.

That would be reintroduce. No 10 baht coins first time around in 74-75. Edited by nkped

That would be reintroduce. No 10 baht coins first time around in 74-75.

That would actually be re-introduce.

Bloody hell nkped, I was only 4 years old back then lol!.

Edited by Butch

Agree Im just not going to tip them anymore ,

Joe

You make a good point, if the fare increases to 20 baht the first problem I have is now I have to get my wallet out for a note!

We need 20 baht coins.

As far as a tip is concerned I guess I will have to hand over 2 notes or just give him a round 100 baht!

Never seem to have the 50s.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

You make a good point, if the fare increases to 20 baht the first problem I have is now I have to get my wallet out for a note!

We need 20 baht coins.

As far as a tip is concerned I guess I will have to hand over 2 notes or just give him a round 100 baht!

Never seem to have the 50s.

Or keep a few 20 baht notes in your pocket if you are going to use the baht buses.

It looks as though they will be a lot less convenient so that advice could be redundant anyway.?

Edited by tallguy

IIRC, the standard, minimum fare was raised to 7 baht several years ago.

Prior to that it was 5 baht, and many farang were commenting on it being 10 baht for them and 5 baht for Thais. That seemed to generate huge amounts of discussion on the forums, hence the "How much is a baht bus?" topics that became a sort of catch phrase for discussions on Pattaya forums...well, this one at least, since at that time it was about the one and only.

Now, when the fare increased to 7 baht, farang continued to pay 10 baht (well, I did), and Thais, not having 7 baht in change, generally paid 10 baht as well. Suddenly there was parity between the two groups. Discussion of baht bus fares dropped off the map.

With a 20 baht fare, I will pay 20 baht, and Thais will probably pay 20 baht as well. I will certainly not pay double as we were generally expected to do when the basic fare was 5 baht in the past.

• Upvote 2

Good point MM, I and I'm aure many others recall the discussions which then led to further examples of 2 tier pricing, plus the usual gamut of "heroes" who only paid 5 baht (when in fact they always paid 10 - same kind of guys who get the girls for free etc).

I always find having 20 baht notes taking over the space in my wallet , because they're often given in change from bars instead of a 100 baht notes, they'll give 5x20's (for tipping reasons obviously). As I'm a tight cunt I'll always make a point of grabbing the whole lot and leaving the ickies (loose coin change) or if there is none, nothing.

Baht buses for me are a bit of a pain though, 80% of the time it's motorsomchai or shanks pony, unless it's raining.

Edited by Butch

Or keep a few 20 baht notes in your pocket if you are going to use the baht buses.

It looks as though they will be a lot less convenient so that advice could be redundant anyway.

I tend to lose track of notes or drop them when I have them dotted around, ham fisted. The 10 baht coins just seemed to be right.

I usually only need to get up Beach Rd and back down 2nd. Baht buses appear to be a major cause of congestion and perhaps limiting their operation is a good idea, What I fear is them becoming scarce and only available for private hire like many other Thai towns. Pattaya is easy to get around cheaply purely due to them... bloody Phuket you need 300 baht to do 100m!

Large coaches also cause traffic problems.

Edited by jacko
  • 4 weeks later...

It's been 10 baht for years so an increase of 10 baht is hardly an issue. As for the bikes, in my experience they tend to quote what they think you will pay, but often come down to a sensible price if you stand firm.

The rumoured increase in baht bus fares did not happen. It's still 10 baht.

• 1 month later...

And it will stay 10 baht for the time being.
From the first time I came to Pattaya in 2007 when the Thai girls only had to pay 5 baht up till last trip 2016 it only double for the Thai girls. If there would be an increase
it would only go up by another 5 baht.

When I am travelling alone I usually just give 20 baht for average lenght trips. for really short trips I only pay 10 baht.

• Upvote 1