Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

World Cup  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me too, from midnight on during a Walking Street crawl!

Hi,   A great day for wac, as Serbia win and Germany are beaten. :clap2Mexico and the Swiss are good teams, make no mistake. Looks like many teams in with a chance. More than usual, anyway.

Posted Images

Phew....So thoroughly shattered emotionally I lost count of penalties...........And missed my shouting and screaming fit when we went through.

Phew....So thoroughly shattered emotionally I lost count of penalties...........And missed my shouting and screaming fit when we went through.

I can't even watch this stuff, I fear heart issues!

Hope someone recorded it for the poor kids in the cave!

I can't even watch this stuff, I fear heart issues!

I understand.....I think I should employ a Thai nurse to sit with me on Saturday.......Where can I buy the costume Jacko? Take my mind off the game at least.

As for my inability to keep count during the penalties...... I've put that senior moment down to proof of God's providence in protecting further damage to my bloody frozen shoulder..........

Edited by atlas2

Hi,

As I said in the OP, I like this English team. They seem to be a good bunch. The "Golden Generation" had too many criminally connected players, from London and Liverpool, as well as repressed homosexuals on the team.They were never gonna win anything. :nod

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/world-cup/2018/zlatan-less-sweden-pose-major-threat-to-englands-hopes_sto6834332/story.shtml

You've got to see this.........Only for the Catona clip.....So funny.

I can't get it directly from youtube yet.........When I do I'll edit the link in.

Edited by atlas2

Funny!

Likely good for American football players too! They could get rid of all that other protective gear they need!

I am thinking I could use one too.

Me too, from midnight on during a Walking Street crawl!

• Upvote 2

Hi,

Wac feared the worst when Cavani couldn't play. France v Belgium will be a cracker. What a goal by De Bruyne. :clap2

Rather than post a link I've cut and pasted this article..........Part of my happiness in this run from England has been in seeing the uniting aspect.....English fans of all colours supporting so passionately an England team of all colours. You can't get more passionately English than Ian Wright.

This article struck a lot of chords or nerves if you like.

Somehow football has become so much more than than a game.

However it ends.......It feels so good.......Only those English voices in the cave meant more to me.

Anyhow have a read.........

"Should you want one, you could order an “Anyone but England” T-shirt right now on eBay or Amazon. If that doesn’t appeal, you could go for a shirt bearing the snazzy acronym “ABE”. Or you could just settle down with a laptop and browse one of the Anyone but England Facebook pages. There is (inevitably) an Anyone but England Twitter hashtag, and in the buildup to every England game pictures are posted of people wrapped in the flags of the opposing nations. These anti-England selfies appear alongside internet memes lampooning the England team and their supporters.

Perhaps predictably the biggest market for Anyone but England “merch” lies north of the border. It was Scottish football fans who first adopted the phrase en masse in the run-up to the 2010 World Cup. The tradition is now so well established that it was the subject of a 2012 academic paper entitled “Anyone but England? Exploring anti-English sentiment as part of Scottish national identity in sport”.

Anyone but England has found equally fertile soil in Wales. As demonstrated by the Bangor man who has dutifully flown the flag of every nation England has faced in this World Cup, from Tunisia to Sweden. He plans to keep doing so until Gareth Southgate’s squad are knocked out of the tournament.

But the Anyone but England sentiment has never been limited to the other home nations – to use a phrase that feels increasingly past its sell-by date. There are those in England who are willing to lend their support to any team, so long as they aren’t wearing three lions on their chests. It is perhaps unsurprising that many of those who take this view are on the left. With its internationalist leanings, the left has always been suspicious of overt displays of nationalism, preferring class-consciousness to blind patriotism. The waving of flags, the chanting of chants and the surrender of individuality to the emotion of the crowd, none of this traditionally warms the liberal heart. Some Anyone but Englanders explain their stance by claiming that although the English are famously gracious losers, we can be terrible winners. While defeats, especially ones that come after brave displays of never-say-die tenacity, might bring out the finer aspects in our national character, victories, so the argument goes, bring our worst traits to the surface; a latent sense of entitlement and swaggering feeling of national superiority.

They point to the “two world wars and one World Cup” mentality, and the determination of sections of the English press and of parts of the fan base to use the England team as a rallying point for a xenophobic and sometimes racist strain of English nationalism. It is the thought of the worst of England’s supporters chanting “two world wars and two World Cups” into the faces of German fans at Euro 2020 that sends a shiver down the spine and helps fuel the Anyone But England tendency.

But there is also a snootier side to it, which pervades across the political spectrum. There’s always been a snobby dismissal of football and the emotions it elicits in millions of people. And then there are people like myself who, in order to be swept up in England’s success, have had to learn to suppress certain memories and seek to reclaim our national symbols.

For black and Asian people of my generation, the England team and the cross of St George were once ingredients in a toxic broth. For decades, a minority of England fans brought the nation and the national team into disrepute, bringing violence both to foreign streets and immigrant communities at home. The banner that fluttered above many of these ugly scenes was the flag of St George.

Such violence and abuse have not completely gone away, but in recent years those memories and associations have increasingly seemed out of step with contemporary reality. Gareth Southgate’s squad, with an average age of 26, have no memories of those earlier decades. They are England’s most diverse World Cup team, 11 of the 23-man squad are black or mixed-race, and that diversity runs deeper, beyond so-called visible minorities. Harry Kane, for example, is of Irish descent.

For black and Asian people of my generation, the England team and the cross of St George were ingredients in a toxic broth
Underestimated and until now overshadowed by the “golden generation” that preceded them, they are a team who exhibit none of the swaggering entitlement that previous England teams were – wrongly or rightly – accused of. In this, the manager leads by example. Arrogance is the last charge one could raise against Southgate. Composure, humility, integrity and intellect are the words that have been most commonly attached to him during this tournament.

Southgate’s first words about Sweden, after his dramatic victory against Colombia, were respectful and cautious. Praising the Swedish national side, he reminded the nation of England’s long and inglorious habit of underestimating the Swedes, and often paying a heavy price for doing so.

In this glorious summer we find ourselves with a young, diverse, dynamic team who evidently like one another and are led by an inspirational manager. He in turn is supported by a backroom staff made up of intelligent and inspirational professionals such as the psychologist Dr Pippa Grange, the woman being credited with helping England win their first penalty shootout in a World Cup. A new professionalism and a new culture has been forged under the St George’s flags that flutter over England’s training camp, St George’s Park near Derby.

It is not just that our nation has changed, making it possible for those once suspicious to feel differently about our national symbols and national team. More profoundly than that, this team and the manager have become agents in that process of change.

Speaking to ITV last week, Southgate explained his broader mission: “We are a team that represents modern England and in England we’ve spent a bit of time being a bit lost as to what our modern identity is … Of course, first and foremost I will be judged on football results. But we have a chance to affect other things that are even bigger.”

It’s difficult to think of a more likable squad, with a more inspiring back story, and impossible to imagine a better moment to throw old reservations aside and embrace this England team."

Edited by atlas2

Hi,

Great performance by England as they beat the Swedes. Hard to play well so soon after last tough game. Croatia sends the Russians home ! I was drinking with a few guys yesterday who 50 years ago used to raid the Temples of Satan and relieve them of some of their cash. :clap2They asked me to pick a score, and luckily I told them either 2-0 or 2-1 to England. I think lots of people fancied those scores, actually.

Hi,

You didn't get this info on Talksport or the Racing Post. :D

Belgium have a star team but have failed to show it.Wouldn't put anybody off backing them.

Brazil imploded at home and wacs intelligence service say they threw the game v Germany. I can't trust them after that,

England have well coached young players, like Sterling and Dele who are World class and with Kane to score goals I expect them to go close to the final. Southgate has made some good calls and I think he is pretty good.

France have the exceptional Didier Deschamps as manager and he has a young team. He has left some stars at home but I think whoever beats France can win the event.

Germany have a poor record in Russia :D :rolleyes: and I expect them to retreat again.

Hi,

Great performance by England as they beat the Swedes. Hard to play well so soon after last tough game. Croatia sends the Russians home ! I was drinking with a few guys yesterday who 50 years ago used to raid the Temples of Satan and relieve them of some of their cash. :clap2They asked me to pick a score, and luckily I told them either 2-0 or 2-1 to England. I think lots of people fancied those scores, actually.

Hi,

You didn't get this info on Talksport or the Racing Post. :D

Belgium have a star team but have failed to show it.Wouldn't put anybody off backing them.

Brazil imploded at home and wacs intelligence service say they threw the game v Germany. I can't trust them after that,

England have well coached young players, like Sterling and Dele who are World class and with Kane to score goals I expect them to go close to the final. Southgate has made some good calls and I think he is pretty good.

France have the exceptional Didier Deschamps as manager and he has a young team. He has left some stars at home but I think whoever beats France can win the event.

Germany have a poor record in Russia :D :rolleyes: and I expect them to retreat again.

What ARE you smoking? Does the wac stand for wacky baccy?

Edited by atlas2

What ARE you smoking? Does the wac stand for wacky baccy?

Hi,

What do you mean, mate ?

Hi,

Well Belgium done the business for me against Brazil and have one of my fav players, Eden Hazard in their team. This is a tough call. I'd say its a 50-50 game, but France are favs with the bookies.

I stayed up for the first half.....Belgium seemed set for victory and dominated possession .300+ touches to 160.......Shortly after the goal went in I toddled off to bed. France will now be favourites for the cup whoever they meet in the final.

I spoke to a Belgian yesterday and he said he really didn't want to lose to the French. He explained: 'There is much money to be made if you can buy a Frenchman for what he's worth and then sell him for what he thinks he's worth'

Tonight I hope, win or lose England play without fear........Get their crosses in early and shoot on sight. Sterling's due one. Come on England.

I'm sure my British friends are inconsolable but reaching the semifinals is no mean feat. You had a good run, lads.

And NOBODY saw Croatia coming.

I thought I should be the first to post about this because it hurts less when the bad news comes from a guy who knows fuck-all about football.

For sentimental reasons I will be rooting for Croatia. As a Canadian, I won't bother to watch it.

After the game I couldn't sleep.........It wasn't the emotional state I was in, it was that even in Jomtien I could hear the noise of all the cheers and tweets echoing o'er the glens and from Welsh villages with long names.

But well done England for reaching the first semi-final since 1990. There have been tangible improvements under Southgate and some new players have emerged.

Croatia must be proud of their team.

Looking forward to a pressure-free meaningless 3rd/4th place play-off and the final.

An article from ABC News in Australia:

Print Email Facebook Twitter More

ANALYSIS

World Cup: Thanks for a fun time, England, but Croatia's class told in the end

By Dan Colasimone

Updated about an hour ago

Media player: "Space" to play, "M" to mute, "left" and "right" to seek.

VIDEO: World Cup: Croatia beats England 2-1 in extra time as Mario Mandzukic winner secures first-ever final (ABC News)

RELATED STORY: Super Mario Mandzukic denies England as Croatia reaches World Cup finalRELATED STORY: Croatian players crash into photographer, kiss him madly while celebrating winner

England's run to the World Cup semi-finals was exciting, fun and unexpected, but ultimately they were outclassed by the first team of real quality they faced in the knock-out rounds.

With the 2-1 loss to Croatia, the Three Lions essentially hit their ceiling.

Nothing encapsulated the sheer unlikelihood of England's tilt at the tournament than the "It's coming home" phenomenon.

It's hard to remember now, but the song was sung with an almost totally ironic tone at the start of the World Cup, until it snowballed into a pandemic affirmation anthem as England progressed to the final four.

Hindsight is 20-20, sure, but football was never coming home, at least not at Russia 2018.

In World Cups past, England has stumbled at the round of 16 or quarter-finals stage, but this time around it scraped through against a James-less Colombia and a blunt Sweden.

For a while in the semi-final it genuinely looked like Gareth Southgate's side were going to make all the football hipsters eat humble pie, and dump the technically brilliant Croats out of the tournament.

Gareth Southgate consoles Dele Alli

PHOTO: It's disappointment tonight for England, but there is no need for despair. (AP: Rebecca Blackwell)

But it was Croatia which booked a date with France in Monday's final, a result which looked inevitable from about the time it scored an equalising goal through Ivan Perisic in the 68th minute.

For Croatia coach Zlatko Dalic, apparently it was never in doubt.

"Those experts who thought that England would progress to the final are not experts," he said after the game.

"If they were, they would have known Croatia are the better team."

England used its weapons and used them well

In the early stages of the match, England kept doing all the things that had got it this far in the first place; the players in white ran like demons, they harried the Croatians, they set off on quicksilver quick raids and they looked dangerous at free-kicks.

Their chances were given a huge shot in the arm when Kieran Trippier fired in a superb free kick in the fifth minute. Having the high ground in a game like this is a glorious advantage, and England made it count for the entire first half.

Croatia looked flustered as it attempted to instil its passing style on the game. England was bustling and buzzing and would not let its opponents settle.

Southgate's side has not played the most beautiful football in Russia, but its speed, vigour and brilliantly executed set pieces have been refreshing to watch.

Had Harry Kane taken his chance from close range to make it 2-0, it would have likely been too much for an exhausted Croatia to come back from.

Harry Kane sees his chance snuffed out against Croatia

PHOTO: Harry Kane missed a golden opportunity to put the match to bed in the first half. (AP: Thanassis Stavrakis)

In a reflection of England's overall performance, Kane too made hay against weak opposition in the group stage before failing to really impose himself on the rest of the tournament.

He is a good striker who now looks likely to end up as the World Cup's top scorer by virtue of his three penalties, two tap-ins and a close-range header, but reports of him being an elite striker have been greatly exaggerated.

Croatia's talent proved too much

Slowly, steadily, Croatia began to take control. After half-time, Dalic switched his wingers Perisic and Ante Rebic and both showed more accuracy and industry.

The midfield dream team of Ivan Rakitic and Luka Modric began to hum, with Modric especially casting his mesmeric spell over the game.

The Real Madrid man should win the Golden Ball for player of the tournament, and probably the Ballon D'Or as the best player in the world in the last year as well.

Ivan Perisic celebrates equaliser against England

PHOTO: Ivan Perisic showcased an exquisite finish to level the match in the second half of regulation time. (AP: Alastair Grant)

Like many great athletes, he seems to conjure more out of his slight frame than should be possible. He often looked tired, crumbling even, in the latter stages of the match. Then moments later he would spray a 50-yard pass with such perfection it might as well have been a relaxed training session.

Mario Mandzukic is almost the opposite; a huge, powerful player who usually looks ungainly. He is capable of moments of his own, though, and it was his goal that sealed Croatia's spot in the final.

The strike in extra time was a product of pressure, if not brilliant build-up play. Perisic won a header on the edge of the box and Mandzukic simply reacted quicker than his marker, John Stones.

It had been a long game and a long tournament, and Stones switched off for a fraction of a second. And that was enough for the Juventus forward to shimmer past him like a wraith and lash the ball into the back of the net.

It's moments like these that decide World Cup semi-finals.

Modric's post-game comments indicated his side had used some of the England hype as inspiration.

"English journalists, pundits from television, they underestimated Croatia tonight and that was a huge mistake. All these words from them we take, we were reading and we were saying, 'OK, today we will see who will be tired'."

A story even more incredible than England's run

So it's Croatia, the side flagged as a "dark horse" before every tournament, which has finally realised its potential and reached a final.

While much of the narrative in Australia has centred around plucky England's progression, Croatia's story is even more remarkable.

The country, which only declared independence in 1991 and has a population of just over 4 million, has reached one World Cup semi-final (1998) and now the showpiece game.

It has battled through three extra-time games in the knock-out stages, penalty shoot-out wins over Denmark and Russia and then the come-from-behind victory in the semi, for the right to play France.

A win against Didier Deschamps's glamour boys would be nothing short of astonishing.

Meanwhile, when the dust settles and the disappointment fades, England can look back on this as a summer of celebration, rather than an opportunity lost.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

England can be proud of a young team who must have a great chance in the Euros. Spain, Germany and Italy are in transition so great chance.

Hi,

Hi,

No wackiness here. :D