Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 246 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

World Cup  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me too, from midnight on during a Walking Street crawl!

Hi,   A great day for wac, as Serbia win and Germany are beaten. :clap2Mexico and the Swiss are good teams, make no mistake. Looks like many teams in with a chance. More than usual, anyway.

Posted Images

I have become so disillusioned with the England national football team over the years due to all the disappointment and poor performances that I gave up on them after they got knocked out of the 2012 European Championships. Since then I have only watched tournament games and haven't watched a single friendly or qualifier. In the run up to this world cup I was very pessimistic and I was even going to put a bet on that they wouldn't qualify out of their group and Harry Kane wouldn't score any goals. I didn't even watch the first two group games. Well, what can I say? I was proved to be very wrong and I was pleasantly surprised with how well they did. In a way it's restored some of my faith in the national team and going forward I won't be so pessimistic. There are lots of positives to take from their world cup performance but I'm under no illusions, I still don't think I'll see them win the world cup in my lifetime although this might be the beginning of much better things considering the average age of the squad is so young. The way that the Premiership and football in general is set up in England is to the detriment of the England team's chances and I don't think that will ever change because money has completely ruined football in my opinion and that will continue to keep the set up the way it is. We had a good run and it was a huge achievement for us to get as far as we did. I rode the crest of the euphoric wave for as far as it went and it was great. I was under no illusions, in my heart of hearts I didn't think they were good enough to win it but I was starting to believe that "football's coming home" at one point because of the luck we had with the draw. This is the only world cup we've ever been involved in where we could have got all the way to the final without playing a team that has previously won the tournament, or a team considered one of the best in current world football. It really was all there for the taking. Let's face it, that's the only way we could have won it and we blew that opportunity. The fact remains that other than the year we won the world cup in 1966 we have NEVER beaten a team that has won the world cup in a knock out game in the tournament. For the country that invented the "beautiful game" that is a truly pathetic fact.

The best thing about the tournament for me was England finally winning a penalty shoot out for the first time in a world cup and only the second time in eight attempts at tournaments. Hopefully this is a turning point and it will instill the belief that we can win them. I hope that Croatia go on to win it, firstly because it will make a nice change and secondly because I don't want France to have won the tournament once more than we have. Whatever happens, a European team will win it which means Europe 12 South America 9 in terms of world cup wins and if Croatia win it it'll be 6 European countries to have won it compared to South America's 3. I will continue my tradition of not watching England qualifiers or friendly games but I will watch them in the 2020 European Championships if they make it. The semi finals and final are being played at Wembley stadium, perhaps "football's coming home" then?

Edited by Siam Sam

Talking of the money in the game..There's a new Nations league starting this season. England are in the A division and will be playing home and away against Spain and Croatia. Perhaps those games might be of interest to fair weather England supporters?

I like international football...not many Englishmen in the Premier League for me to cheer on.

So I'll continue to follow England Schoolboys, England Under 17s (world Champions) England Under 20s (World Champions) under 21's (Toulon Champions 3 years running and European semi-finalists).

I'm England 'till I die.......Not long left so why stop now?

You mean waciness. :D

Credit where it's due though wac, you've read this WC very well. Cheers Bro :chogdee

Hi,

Thanks. I've been is hospital all week so watching the games was a welcome relief. Looks like I'm in the clear healthwise and I had a small bet on Croatia before the England game at 9/2 to win WC.

I'm sure my British friends are inconsolable but reaching the semifinals is no mean feat. You had a good run, lads.

And NOBODY saw Croatia coming.

I thought I should be the first to post about this because it hurts less when the bad news comes from a guy who knows fuck-all about football.

For sentimental reasons I will be rooting for Croatia. As a Canadian, I won't bother to watch it.

English chaps might be a little sad but I assure you that you have no need to worry about any Scottish or Welsh friends you may have.

Hi,

Well its all ending today. Not sure where I will watch it.Some of my family are French, but on this occasion I hope Croatia win as they are a country of 4 million. Great achievement to get to the final.

Palmer's used to do good catering.

I thought it was closed.

I really don't care who wins but both teams are capable of playing very good football. Let's hope we will see it tonight.

Sendt fra min WAS-LX1 med Tapatalk

Edited by Odense

France Vs Croatia is confusing me.....I'm conflicted.

It's like telling a Daily Mail reader that pedophiles are the natural food of illegal immigrants.

Edited by atlas2

I thought it was closed.

I really don't care who wins but both teams are capable of playing very good football. Let's hope we will see it tonight.

Doubtful but we can hope. World cup finals are usually bore fests.

I thought it was closed.

Palmer's does good catering. Not just used to.

Doubtful but we can hope. World cup finals are usually bore fests.

I think it was a good match.

Well done by both teams.

Hi,

A great WC and a great final Mbabbe has announced himself on the World stage and the World is his oyster. Can he keep his feet on the ground like Messi and Ronaldo ? Wac was singing La Marsellaise at daybreak with a glass of Frances finest in his hand. Dont ask. :drunk

France were somewhat lucky in that the referee had a very favourable game from their point of view. The best refs at the event were European but because of WW2 it must have been difficult to appoint any of them for the final. Mazic is Serbian so the Croats wouldn't accept him. Brych is German and the role the Croats played in support of the Nazis is well documented. Cakir is Turkish and there is the history of violence between the Christian Croats and Muslims in the former Yugoslavia. So they had to appoint a South American and he had a shocker. :scared:

Still, France were deserving winners overall and Modric was Player of Tournament. Harry Kane got the Golden Boot. Well done, Harry. There were 6/7 players from Real/Athletic in the final. Serie A and La Liga were better represented in the final than the Premier League which says a lot.

Finally, well done to James Milton and Martin Ramshaw(odds compiler, William Hills) who picked France to win in the Racing Post. Milton mentioned Croatia and Uruguay as good outsiders so he had a good tournament. The big name tipsters had a shocker, bad luck on those who followed their advice.

Hazard and Courtuis are rumoured to be on the way to Real for the new season, welcome boys :D and Pogba is going to Barcelona, apparently. Pogba looked great in a French shirt in contrast to his displays for Man Utd. Jose is a great coach but he seems to have a problem getting the best out of great players like Pogba, Hazard and De Bruyne. Not good.

Edited by wacmedia

Hi,

One of my fav players heading to Madrid. Having trouble accepting jpegs again :clueless

Hazard1.jpg

Edited by wacmedia