Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

MAN > BKK May 2020

Just booked for May next year. £446 on Lufthansa via Frankfurt. Transit times are good both ways,  arround 1 hour 40 mins. Booked on budgetair.co.uk via Google flights.

Sounds like a great price! Ive never flown with Lufthansa, heard lots of good things about them though.

I fly from Heathrow..so its about 3 hours by trains to get there....Dont drive there as parking is expensive!

Seems like a great option for those who live in the north-west.

14 hours ago, Butch said:

That's a very good price. Lufthansa are one of the better airlines these days as well.

Yes, it is a good price, especially since, for some unknown reason, they put me in in Premium Economy for the BKK - MUC return leg!

Luthansa are introducing twice daily flights into Bristol next March apparently with onward connections. Could be useful to myself but whilst I've flown 27 airlines to Bangkok from Uk have never been on Luthansa before. Will be looking into that next year

12 hours ago, urmy48 said:

I think the best out of Manchester at the moment is Oman Air.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Better than Emirates or better price-wise?

Better than Emirates or better price-wise?
Better than Qatar or Ethiad. The entertainment system is better on Emirates. Food is just as good but you don't have to muck around catching trains to connecting flights.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

Luthansa are introducing twice daily flights into Bristol next March apparently with onward connections. Could be useful to myself but whilst I've flown 27 airlines to Bangkok from Uk have never been on Luthansa before. Will be looking into that next year

Bloody hell Rawhide, there can't be that many carriers left for you to try ?

They route via Frankfurt, the product is very good, I went over to youtube to see how the cabins are in Econ and PE, very impressive.

15 hours ago, Butch said:

Bloody hell Rawhide, there can't be that many carriers left for you to try ?

They route via Frankfurt, the product is very good, I went over to youtube to see how the cabins are in Econ and PE, very impressive.

Lol yes it is fair number I agree.

Top 3 I would say Cathay Pacific, Eva (especially their Evergreen deluxe product they had in the nose cone on the 747 Combis they used) and Qantas. Emirates were also good in the early years. Never been on Singapore otherwise I'm sure they'd be in the 3

Bottom 3 would say Biman Bangladesh, Uzbekistan and Balkan. Whilst in bottom three I actually flew all 3 of those more than once

I could and should add Phuket air to that bottom group because a week after I flew them one way Bangkok Gatwick around 2005 ish (think it was) they grounded the 747 at GTW indefinately as unfit for purpose lol

Edited by Rawhide2
21 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

Lol yes it is fair number I agree.

I see no mention of the Chinese Carriers....or do they just fall in the middle and not top nor bottom? I got an 'OK but nowt special' from a pal for China Southern, ex LHR. Poor early Bangkok arrival time, but fair connections. Surprised Lufthansa is getting reasonable reviews, I used them a couple of times over a decade ago and eventually moved to KLM. Most of the European carriers had poor short hops from Manchester and I hated CDG and FRA airports. Back then Lufthansa used 747 to BKK and as I got a cheap ticket, I ended up in the middle seat of a row of 5 on a packed flight...... not fun. So really OK now? 

Edited by jacko
5 hours ago, jacko said:

I see no mention of the Chinese Carriers....or do they just fall in the middle and not top nor bottom? I got an 'OK but nowt special' from a pal for China Southern, ex LHR. Poor early Bangkok arrival time, but fair connections. Surprised Lufthansa is getting reasonable reviews, I used them a couple of times over a decade ago and eventually moved to KLM. Most of the European carriers had poor short hops from Manchester and I hated CDG and FRA airports. Back then Lufthansa used 747 to BKK and as I got a cheap ticket, I ended up in the middle seat of a row of 5 on a packed flight...... not fun. So really OK now? 

Never flown any of them Jacko the "nearest" would be ANA and Eva. We were sat at pool yesterday and am missing 3 airlines lol I got to 24 pretty easily but nope definately the ones missing aren't Chinese carriers. These days its Oman in the main I use

Edited by Rawhide2
  • Like 1

Im on the bus to Manchester as i type this. I grew to dislike the arab stop overs so last year i went with air india via Mumbai.  Was pretty good but not great.

Today im flying with finnair via Helsinki. So maybe ill get to see the northen lights.

The oman air flights ive looked at stopped in Muscat wich gets bloody awful reviews as airports go. How was it for those who've been that route?

Im on the bus to Manchester as i type this. I grew to dislike the arab stop overs so last year i went with air india via Mumbai.  Was pretty good but not great.
Today im flying with finnair via Helsinki. So maybe ill get to see the northen lights.
 The oman air flights ive looked at stopped in Muscat wich gets bloody awful reviews as airports go. How was it for those who've been that route?
Muscat is modern airport. Couldn't fault it for the 90 minutes I was there.

• Thanks 1
On 11/15/2019 at 1:36 AM, Rawhide2 said:

These days its Oman in the main I use

Hi,

My mate(RIP) liked Oman, I have a paranoia about stopping over in the ME.

43 minutes ago, wacmedia said:

Hi,

My mate(RIP) liked Oman, I have a paranoia about stopping over in the ME.

Am guessing slightly but must have had 50 return flights transiting via Doha Abu Dhabi Bahrain Oman or Dubai so 100 times all up and cant ever recall a hand luggage rummage of any sorts ever. Standard bag scan we get at all airports. Have had though 3 outbound from Heathrow (at scanner check one fairly recently)

Edited by Rawhide2
1 hour ago, la8rat said:

lol Muscat airport is brand new (March 2018) easy to navigate and has everything you need including some of the cheapest tobacco in the world

It used to be known as Seeb International before it was modernised, I spent enough time in and out of it during the 70's up to the mid 00's to agree that it once was a dump of the highest order.

Things change and my friends say it is a pretty good airport as far as airports go.

9 hours ago, Butch said:

It used to be known as Seeb International before it was modernised, I spent enough time in and out of it during the 70's up to the mid 00's to agree that it once was a dump of the highest order.

Things change and my friends say it is a pretty good airport as far as airports go.

When I first used Oman in 2013 and getting on to the bus transfer to terminal it looked like a quaint Greek island terminal. I think the bus transfer probably encouraged many poor reviews but I always found the place easy going.

Vastly improved of course now since March 2018 with new Terminal with standard air bridges

Update.

Just hit bkk after my finnair flights from Manchester.  Will never use them again. Only free soft drinks. The meals are very basic. You're expected to buy better meals and booze. Plus both legs were delayed. And the trolly dollies are in fact mooses.

• Thanks 1
Update.
Just hit bkk after my finnair flights from Manchester.  Will never use them again. Only free soft drinks. The meals are very basic. You're expected to buy better meals and booze. Plus both legs were delayed. And the trolly dollies are in fact mooses.
Yes there wank but one of quickest routes. They even charge from Manchester for a drink.
Have a great trip

31 minutes ago, la8rat said:

Update.

Just arrived today on Qatar. A359 out of Manchester then 773ER to BKK. A359 flight was excellent but the 777 and the same age as the A359 but it looked a hell of a lot rougher and, despite being one of the Q-suite examples, the economy section wasn't in the best condition.

Onegripe... You now have to ask for butter for your croissant/bread roll...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1