Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I may be splitting hairs here but I thought the first time we had to show our passport was Immigration. I thought that we then go downstairs, pick up our luggage, and then go through Customs.

There are several ATM machines in the same hall in which you pick up your luggage and before you go through Customs.

Cheers

I may be splitting hairs here but I thought the first time we had to show our passport was Immigration. I thought that we then go downstairs, pick up our luggage, and then go through Customs.

There are several ATM machines in the same hall in which you pick up your luggage and before you go through Customs.

Cheers

Immigration is on the "upper" level and once you've cleared Immigration you go downstairs to collect your luggage. Must have a look out for ATM's there on my next trip.

Alan

how is it with opening an account in some local thai bank?

i guess the easiest way would be to enter the bank the first day, open an account and use their plastic & atms.

is foreigner allowed to open an account in local banks?

what r the reliable ones? thai farmers bank, or ?

any info appreciated !!!

thanx

:rolleyes:

I went to Bangkok Bank at Pratumnak Road (extension of 2nd Road on the Way to the Hill / To Jomtien.

Had no problem opening an Account there with my 30 Day Tourist Stamp. All they asked for was an Address, I gave them my Hotel's Address, no problem.

They issue ATM Cards on the Spot, you can chose your Pin (have some little machine for that purpose.

Then transfer money from your Home account (they give you a slip with Banks Name, your Acccount No, and Bank's SWIFT Code).

Takes 3 Days, and gives you a great rate, even the transfer expenses included!

But: Do not transfer less than 1000 PST, or 1500 Euro or Dollars; otherwise the expenses eat up too much.

Withdrawal from Bangkok Bank ATM in Pattaya is free, from other ATMs it costs 10, sometimes 20 Baht per Transaction.

Never had any problem!

Sunny

Immigration is on the "upper" level and once you've cleared Immigration you go downstairs to collect your luggage. Must have a look out for ATM's there on my next trip.

Alan

I belive the cash machines your talking about down by the baggage claim area are "money exchangers" you put cash in them and get thb in return and i have as yet ever gotten one to take my $100.00 USD bill. I always arrive from NRT at 2330hrs so not much open, the exchange just prior to exiting arrivels is ussually got a line and i'm normally out of patince after 18hrs in the air, so i use the ATM. there is one just as you make it throught the onslot at arrivels to the left by the snack shop, but at 2330 it rarely has any cash left in it and also has a line so I go up one fight of stairs and there is an ATM in the stairway just before the second floor which i have used every time i arrive and get the 5000thb i'll need to get through my first night in LOS until i can get to the money exchanger, i still like bring new crisp $100.00 USD bills, ATM card and Visa, try and never use the cc.

Sorry RB,

I may be mistaken about the ATMs. They may indeed be just cash machines or money changers. I remember using them on my 2nd trip to Thailand but ever since then I just make sure I leave with enough Baht to take care of my needs for a day or so when I get back.

Since I usually arrive about midday, I had no trouble getting Baht from them.

Cheers

I may be mistaken about the ATMs. They may indeed be just cash machines or money changers.

Geeze Mike you would fuck up a wet dream next time I see you I am going to Paddle your Ass and Oh what fun we will have !! :D

Sunny, what are PST?

I opened an account at the same Bangkok Bank 12 months ago and they wanted a non immigrant visa or no account.

Good bank, you can open internet account but at that time you had to go to the bank, fill out forms etc to set up for internet transfer from your Bangkok Bank account to another Bangkok Bank account. It could not be done on line. I forgot pin and it only cost 100 baht for new one, from memory 500 baht deposit to open and 250 baht for atm card ??????

John

Sunny, what are PST?

I opened an account at the same Bangkok Bank 12 months ago and they wanted a non immigrant visa or no account.

Good bank, you can open internet account but at that time you had to go to the bank, fill out forms etc to set up for internet transfer from your Bangkok Bank account to another Bangkok Bank account. It could not be done on line. I forgot pin and it only cost 100 baht for new one, from memory 500 baht deposit to open and 250 baht for atm card ??????

John

PST - Pound Sterling (Just don't know where the f**king Sterling Character is on my Laptop ...)

Yeah, seems that they change the rules ever so often. I asked for Internet Banking, and they wanted a Work Permit ..... Will anybody ever understand the logic with these Banking Regulations?

I keep hearing stories of Banks wanting Non-Residency Visas prior to opening an Account. ("It's the law") On the other Side, you need to have 800 000 BT in Thai Bank Account to apply for Retirement Visa. (It's the law!")

Must have been the country where "Catch 22" has been thought out, I presume.

I think you are right with the cost figures.

Sunny

I went to Bangkok Bank at Pratumnak Road (extension of 2nd Road on the Way to the Hill / To Jomtien.

Had no problem opening an Account there with my 30 Day Tourist Stamp. All they asked for was an Address, I gave them my Hotel's Address, no problem.

They issue ATM Cards on the Spot, you can chose your Pin (have some little machine for that purpose.

Then transfer money from your Home account (they give you a slip with Banks Name, your Acccount No, and Bank's SWIFT Code).

Takes 3 Days, and gives you a great rate, even the transfer expenses included!

But: Do not transfer less than 1000 PST, or 1500 Euro or Dollars; otherwise the expenses eat up too much.

Withdrawal from Bangkok Bank ATM in Pattaya is free, from other ATMs it costs 10, sometimes 20 Baht per Transaction.

Never had any problem!

Sunny

thanx for advice!

well, just one more question, what if i just hand over cash money in the thai bank when opening account, lets say 300-500 usd or €, will they have any problem with that ?

i have some bad experience with swifts etc. and it costs hell of money...

which r the banks i should try (only bangkok bank?) ?

THANX !!!

:beer

Potmehut; I guess it should be no problem with cash at all. (Maybe it might get difficult once you try to pay in a few thousand Dollars ...)

I don't know much about other Banks here in Pattaya, I guess it depends (information, mood of the Bank Clerk, Moon Phase .....) whether they will open an Account for you or not. I tried two others before Bangkok Bank with no results (forgot which ones they were) ....

Never experienced major Problems with SWIFT transfers, the fees are not that high, and are compensated by a better rate (about 1% more than cash!), but you should not SWIFT only 100 Dollars or so!

Sunny

Sunny, to save you tearing your keyboard apart looking for the sterling key use GBP ( Great Britian Pounds). This is an accepted acronym.

John

I'll be trying to open an account when I'm in town in November and one of my options was the Bangkok Bank at Pratumnak Road, which would be convenient as I could end up living at View Talay (or close by) from the middle of next year. If they won't let me open an account without a Non-Immigrant visa, guess I will jsut have to try one of the other banks such as the Siam Commercial Bank, which I believe from previous threads has a branch on Beach Road. Might help if I wore a shirt and tie when applying to open the account? :D :D

Alan

Customs area doesn't have ATM but they do have money exchange machine that sometimes work. Good rates.

Hello All,

I believe that there is an exchange booth just before going thru passport control. It is located along the back wall as you are walking towards passport control. I do not remember it there is an ATM machine by the exchange booth or not.

BobSJ