Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Two nations divided by a common language.

This is only meant as a bit of fun, so I hope nobody takes offence or turns nasty. Us Brits sometimes wince at American terms such as "Gotten","Hospitalization" & "Infomercial", but does it work the other way round? I'm sure there must be things we say that make our cousins over the water either laugh or squirm? (Just remember we invented English, though... :banghead )

Eric,

Not that i can think off. sometimes word like Lift can confuse a yank. But words you have given are one that were made up. I thought that in Brit just like US people like TV reports are always trying to turn a new catchy phrase. Thats were jargon gets in the Us language. :beer :nod

some are just the words themselves, others are usage-related

- lorry

- lift

- dustbin

- fancy

- brilliant

- cheers

that said, I still think you brits are decent guys and usually make the best drinking buddies.

cheers :cussing

H

I was walking home from the local supermarket when a car pulls up beside me and an American female asked for directions to a certain street. It happened to be the street where I live and after giving her directions, I mentioned that I was going there. She then asked me if I wanted a ride. Naturally I accepted but she was just asking whether I wanted a lift :beer

Another word that has a different meaning depending on which side of the Atlantic you live is "fanny". :beer

Alan

Even within the UK usage changes over time. Not long after I started driving a taxi ('97), after picking up from a night club, I heard a young girl passenger saying to her mate "I pulled 6 boys tonight". I nearly crashed trying to get a good look at this slapper, but it was just a normal looking late teen.

It turns out that "pulled" now means a chat, a dance, a kiss or suchlike. When I was that age it meant a shag (no, not the feathered kind, a fuck)! 6 would have been impressive.

I'm on the verge of schizophrenia from all this, and have been for years. I'm an American, but my father was from Glasgow and my best friend is from Kent. Global meetings in my department include an Aussie, 2 Brits, and one from the Emerald Isle. My American colleagues give me the "deer in the headlights" look whenever I slip the occassional "knackered" into the conversation. I'm sure there is help for people like me available somewhere. . . . .

"Next on Oprah! Americans who think they're Brits!" :fingers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i live between wigan & bolton, and i don't speak english, dus no wot a meen marrow. <laugh

“Thai Visa†post was damn funny. Still lmao. :nod

I was wondering if the following statement has the same meaning across the pond?

It is okay to prick your finger, but it is not okay to finger your prick. (sorry childhood humor) :rolleyes:

Fo shiz (?),

Bill

PS, are you sure the House of Windsor couldn’t reconsider and take Utah as well? :nod

“Thai Visa†post was damn funny.  Still lmao. :D

I was wondering if the following statement has the same meaning across the pond? 

It is okay to prick your finger, but it is not okay to finger your prick. (sorry childhood humor)  :P

Fo shiz (?),

Bill

PS, are you sure the House of Windsor couldn’t reconsider and take Utah as well? :banghead

I think the House of Windsor has more right to "the House of Berlin" than Utah :grin

122fannys.GIF

Mescalito

just to help/add to your confusion......................... :beer

Wombat ---

Thanks for the addition; damned funny! The people in this internet cafe in California gave me a funny look when I started chuckling over that one!

Mescalito

pissed = (UK being drunk) (US being mad or upset)

Except when we're pissed off, then we're mad or upset too. So if we're drunk, and mad because someone is taking the piss, then we're pissed and pissed off, and we often tell the other person to piss off.