Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Ok I`m still undecided where to stay in June, made reservation enquiries at Baybreeze and Areca lodge, so far I have only got a reply from lodge.

They say that deposit of 3`500 baht by 8/3/05, no problem.

But they say they want the balance by 5/6/05.(two weeks before departure) shouldn`t really be a problem but can someone tell me how they send the voucher through to you? don`t have a printer on my pc, and I am not entirely confident with the Thai postal service. they say that my room is not guaranteed if I turn up without voucher!

Ok I`m still undecided where to stay in June, made reservation enquiries at Baybreeze and Areca lodge, so far I have only got a reply from lodge.

They say that deposit of 3`500 baht by 8/3/05, no problem.

But they say they want the balance by 5/6/05.(two weeks before departure) shouldn`t really be a problem but can someone tell me how they send the voucher through to you? don`t have a printer on my pc, and I am not entirely confident with the Thai postal service. they say that my room is not guaranteed if I turn up without voucher!

Have just booked 2 rooms at the Areca for 2 short stays in April. Wasn't happy with the deposit arrangement (3,000 Bt per room) but they wouldn't really relent except they did agree to revised wording on the form they wanted me to sign.

Having signed the (revised) form and faxed it to them with copies of both sides of my credit card, they then sent me an Email (I quote verbatim):

We received fax credit from you.

We will hold on this to guarantee your booking.

Note we haven't withdraw any amount from your account yet.

Will charge in the case that you are no show or cancel less than 24hrs.

And will give this fax back to you when you arrival without any charge.

I now don't understand the relevance of the 3,000Bt per room, but I'm not complaining. :o

Haven't had any mention of having to pay the balance or print out a voucher (although I have printed out the Emails).

I think they just might be testing to see how genuine you are about the booking.

They have been really good in replying to Emails promptly. They seem very professional compared with most other places. (Hope these are not the proverbial "famous last word"!)

Couldn`t find a e-mail address on their site, do I just reply to the one they sent me?

Oh and is it guest friendly?

All the reports on here say it is guest friendly (wouldn't have booked it if I thought it wasn't :o ).

The Email address is info@arecalodge.com

I corresponded with someone who signed him/herself as "Moo".

Good luck!!

Bazle

I think a lot of the hotels have people making reservations and than not showing up. With your credit card info they can charge you 3000 baht if you do not show.

Exactly, and that is why I castigated certain people last year. Making multiple reservations and not cancelling them or making a reservation and not showing up just drives prices up as hotels have to raise rates to cover the lost business. Some as you see, are now requiring advance deposits and even full payment before travelling.

So its not clever and it hurts everyone. Perhaps in a while we'll be like some places on the Spanish costas where you have to pay months before just like your package holidays.

I`m a little worried that if I pay the full balance up front, and say it isn`t guest friendly, wouldn`t be able to check out because I would lose the lot.

pattaya mad,

If your concerned just show up without a reservation. You are arriving when things are slow in Pattaya. The last 2 years the Sunshine and the 2 Flippers where having specials during this time where you stayed for 14 days but only paid for 10 along with other hotels offering deals. Also if you like the area of the Areca, a new hotel has just opened about 50 meters down the soi.

And I really think the Baybreeze will be my choice.....if only the fuckers would answer my e-mails!!!

If they don't answer your emails how good are they going to treat you when you are there?

Regarding the guest friendly aspect I stayed there a few weeks ago. I arrived back one evening with a lady in tow. She had a copy of her ID card, and not the original. A placard was produced which stated that only people with original ID cards were allowed as overnight guests. So advisable to make sure your friend or friends have original ID's. :crying

I think a lot of the hotels have people making reservations and than not showing up. With your credit card info they can charge you 3000 baht if you do not show.

Well actually they cannot!! They agreed revised wording on their form to restrict the penalty to the cost of one night.

Me and my mates have stayed at the Areca four times. I have just confirmed my booking for June/July 2005 today.

The hotel is 100% guest friendly. The reception staff can be strict with the ID card rule. Just depends who is working that particular shift. Generally ID cards are taken, occasionally they are not asked for. I have taken a "guest" back who did not have an ID card, this was pointed out to me by the staff and it was "up to me" whether the "guest" stayed or not. Guess what I did. :P

On another occasion a mate had a "guest" refused admission as they had no ID card.

Inconsistent? Of course, this is LOS. :rolleyes:

On the deposit thing. We have never paid a deposit. The first time we went was during the SARS crisis (?) and they wanted my credit card details which I faxed through. Never had any problems with card cloning etc. Since then we just e-mail and book, no deposit and no details asked for.

Should point out that we have always turned up and have never canceled. Apart from the usual dickheads who want to make their first trip and then back out once the flight has to be paid for. :banghead

Seems to me that once you have booked and stayed there then it becomes straight forward no deposits etc. Although there have been some management changes since we first stayed so maybe their booking policies have been reviewed.

The Areca is a good hotel IMO equivalent to 4 star in UK. :nod

If anybody stays there have a drink at the hotel's beer garden bar before going on the prowl. You will meet either Venis or Chan two lads (or ladies maybe) that work there. After having a right laugh, at some point, you will have to question your own sexuality and maybe make that trip to Boyztown. :banghead

Cant say I've been tempted. Well not yet anyway! :banghead

Chok dee kap

Top_Cat

Made a booking for April 1st, asked me for CC for gurantee, when I wrote them back that I do not want to send due to various reasons - got an answer that it is OK and they will make the reservation all the same.

Anybody been able to negotiate a lower daily rate with Areca? Their advertised price of 990thb is good as it is but I'm curious if anybody has been able to get a deal from them?

i just booked a couple of rooms for next month and tried to get a better rate, but thats was impossible. but areca is still worth the extra money!!

Anybody been able to negotiate a lower daily rate with Areca? Their advertised price of 990thb is good as it is but I'm curious if anybody has been able to get a deal from them?

Got quoted 880 baht per night as a monthly rate for June/July 2005. Was told this had to be paid up front. :unsure:

Sadly I cannot stay for a full month so will be paying 990 baht per night for a Standard Room. B)

This compares well with the Dec./Jan. rate which was 1380 baht per night and was subject to a 500 baht surcharge from Xmas Eve to New Years Day of 500 baht per night. Also compulsory 1500 baht for New Years Eve Gala Dinner.

I think that last years June/July rate was also around the 990 baht mark. So this rate represents good value for money IMO. :beer

I know that the Areca did have a discount for frequent stayers but I don't know if that still applies. At the time a frequent stayer would be someone who stayed for say around 3 weeks 3 times a year. Never applied to us so never benefited from it. :crying

Also, if you joined the Pattaya Sporting Club then you could get discounts from various outlets with the Areca being one. Thing is you cannot apply to join over the Net so have to go there in person. Never made it to the Club yet. Will do on my next trip. :rolleyes:

Chok dee kap.

Top_Cat

This is the email i just received from areca lodge,monthly rates for april and may:

Thank you for e-mail to us.

Monthly rate as the details below.

Standard room 25,500 baht (30 days).

Deluxe room 32,700 baht (30 days.)

All rate incl ABF.

Note monthly have to pay full amount upon arrival.

Best Regards.

Moo,,,

SiamChad

Me, from about March 27 to April 4..

looking at 27mar-11apr, but only as a walk-in

haven't and won't make reservations till i get there

looking at 27mar-11apr, but only as a walk-in

haven't and won't make reservations till i get there

Is there a reason why you haven't made a reservation? I'm still trying to figure out an angle on a reduced price for two weeks. El Cheapo here. :rolleyes: