Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Pattaya Questions--first time traveller

G'day all,

Just joined the forum, found it by chance.

I have used the search function and found very helpful information.

I have a few questions about Pattaya in general. Please bear with me as itis my first time travelling overseas.

1. IS it easy to get a baht bus from where the aircon bus drop u off from Bangkok?

2. I am going in September, would u recommend booking accomodation before i go, or just turn up at the hotel?

3. I have read that food is expensive in Pattaya, I know there must be loads of eating places but what kind of prices are we looking at?

4. I am interested in visiting some of the islands of Pattaya, Koh Larn, Koh Samet and Koh Chang, i have found how to get to Koh Larn from Pattaya, but how do i get to Koh Samet frm Pattaya?

Any info is appreciated.

Cheers.

First of all, welcome.

1) The air con bus from Bangkok drops you off at the bus station on North Pattaya Road ("Naklua Road"). Baht buses will be waiting there to whisk you away on the standard baht bus circuit. If perchance your hotel is not on the circuit, then you'll need to negotiate a rate.

Standard circuit (you may need a map):

North Pattaya Road

==> Beach Road

==> South Pattaya Road

==> Second Road

==> North Pattaya Road

2) You're right. It's low season, but you don't know your way around. Make a reservation. Besides, you're going to be tired from your flight + the two-hour drive to Pattaya

3) Food is inexpensive. All types are available

4) Don't know about the islands

Welcome aboard.

You will not have any problems in computing inside the pattaya. baht bus service is excellent - just 10B per trip and is quite frequent.

In the month of September, you can take chance of going w/o hotel reservation rather this will give you an opportunity to choose the right place.

Food is inexpensive.

There are long tail boats and ferry from Pattaya to these nearby islands. You may also engage a local tour operator. If you don't know swimming, engage a tour operator who provides life vests. Once you reach these islands you will find motorbike/tuk tuk (auto rikshaw) to reach different beaches.

Most important - Read as much as possible on these forums before you travel.

I know I'll be considered biased because I'm an aussie too .... BUT what a pleasant change to get a new member who: 1) searched the archives first and; 2) asks realistic questions that show some prior effort. :lol:

Certainly makes a change from the prats that have been taking advantage of this board for the past week or so.

Well done mate and welcome to the board.

Your first questions have been answered already.

Re the islands. The only one that is adjacent to Pattaya is Koh Larn, (koh means island BTW). Samet is via Ban Pae, a town in Rayong province about 90 mins away.

Koh Chang is further south off Trat, which is about 3 hrs from Pattaya. IMHO, the BEST island to visit, but everyone has their own opinion.

Alternately you can fly from BKK to Trat pretty easily, and onto the island from there. PM me if you want further info.

Cheers, Lemons

hi jamozz my thought on the questions you posed are

1)try to hook up with someone else on the plane who is going to pattaya as well and share a cab.If you cant get a share get your own the extra hastle is not worth the saving (I am a cheap charlie)in both time and effort as you can be in pattaya almost as quick as the time it would take you to get to bankok bus station which is i believe in the wrong direction anyway(unless you are strting from bangkok where you can get the mini bus service from some places from about 350 baht

2)depending how long you want to stay and your budget you can get discounts from most hotels so try to get them to quote you some prices in advance, but if you are looking to stay for an extended time then just turn up and stay at the first hotel that takes your fancy(you should do some web surfing to find out about the various hotels and what they have to offer)the hotel section should be helpful here,the only caveat being your budget if you want to stay in the upscale places then book in advance if like me you are on a tighter budget then there are allways more rooms here in low season than customers

3)food is inexpensive if you look for inexpensive places to eat, if you eat thai food then its dirt cheap but if you want wesern food then the venue is quite important as not all are as cheap as some members on this board would lead you to believe.the well advertised places are all good and to some extent cheaper than home(uk)but not as cheap as the other things in thailand so its up to you just how expensive or inexpensive food is

4)from pattaya i have only been to the closest island (koh larn)and had some realy great days out the beaches are wonderful and at this time of the year (low season) they are very quiet do a search for koh larn to find out more

Best advice i can give you get here as quick as you can,stay as long as you can,and get into training now you will need all your strength

(sinbin)jack

Welcome Jam.

What?????????????????????????? No pussy questions?

Maybe the search prior to asking worked in that area.

Have fun on you first trip of MANY to come.

Mate, if you want the island experience, then Lemons is probably right about Koh Chang. But Samed is easier to get to. I'd recommend Malibu travel in soi 13/2 (post office).

And take a companion with you.

Read the hotels section to get an idea of whats available. Avoid anything out of town such as the clifftop. Until you know your way around, Residence Gardens is a bit out of the way too. Have a look at Lek or Sandy Springs, but be prepared for some noise. Get a rate, and be prepared to move after a day or two if you dont like it.

First time OS you say? hmmm, Bangkok was my first time out of Oz. Expect the unexpected. :rolleyes:

Edited by ashboy
Standard circuit (you may need a map):

North Pattaya Road

==> Beach Road

==> South Pattaya Road

==> Second Road

==> North Pattaya Road

Beside those listed below, the baht buses run along Centeral Pattaya Rd and Soi Buakaow.

The cost of food is very cheap if you eat Thai food.

You should have no trouble finding a room in Sep. In the past I would show up but I was familiar with the hotels and knew of nearby ones that would be my 2nd and 3rd choice if my first was full.

I know I'll be considered biased because I'm an aussie too .... BUT what a pleasant change to get a new member who: 1) searched the archives first and; 2) asks realistic questions that show some prior effort. :D

Certainly makes a change from the prats that have been taking advantage of this board for the past week or so.

Well done mate and welcome to the board.

:grin-jump

Well said.

All good advice so far.

Hey all,

thanks for all the replies, i still have a bit of research to do and no doubt i can find out a lot from here, much better than a lonely planet guide LOL......

Good to see Aussies on here as well.

From my research i think the best accomodation option would be Sabai Inn, cheap, clean and close to action.

I have heard Pattaya can be a bit in your face, but thats what i wanna see, some craziness to get away to what i am used to.

My only concern is that i hope i dont get sick from the food.

Anyways i'll just wait and see what happens.

Cheers.

From my research i think the best accomodation option would be Sabai Inn, cheap, clean and close to action.

I have heard Pattaya can be a bit in your face, but thats what i wanna see, some craziness to get away to what i am used to.

My only concern is that i hope i dont get sick from the food.

Anyways i'll just wait and see what happens.

Cheers.

Sabai Inn is a good pace to stay. Excellent location. Don't eat off the road side food carts. Here are a few good places to eat where you should be OK, Pig & Whistle soi 7, Tequila Reef soi 7, Queen Victoria Inn, soi 6, Greg's kitchen, 2nd Road near soi6. Except for Greg's all the restaurants are between Beach Rd and 2nd Rd.

Don't drink tap water or use to brush your teeth. I would suggest bottled mineral water. Pace yourself. This a great party town.

Welcome Jamozz

The transport & accommodation questions have been answered pretty well.

I would just like to add that out of the islands Koh Chang is hard to beat. If you have the time its well worth a visit. You can choice you accomodation from a cheap bungalow on the beach to an upmarket hotel. The snorkelling is excellent and its worth a trip inland to see the forest and the water falls. I am certainly going back again.

In regards to food I get tired of thai food all the time so I always stock up at a local supermarket with bread, margarine, spreads, cheese etc so that when I cannot face another plate of thai food, or McDonalds I can make myself a sandwich.

I believe the action is a bit slow on Koh Chang so if you are travelling alone it might be worth taking a companion. As well as the obvious benefits its good to have a translater if you are negotiating a cheap bungalow, buses etc.

Have a great trip.

Jamozz

Just in case that you stopover in Bangkok before heading to Pattaya and need some guidance upon arrival, you can send me a message amd I don't mind to show a first timer around for a day.

I will be in Bangkok for several days in Sept.

Knowntender

Welcome Jamozz from a fellow newbie I have been trawling through the different forums here for a while, I can tell you that you won't find a better resource any where on the net, or more helpful people. I've been to LOS 5 times before but they have been with wife or short business trips. I am looking forward to my first solo trip in December and will probably check the board every day until then.

Obviously I can't advise you on Pattaya, but coming from Australia you will no doubt arrive late in the evening, so you should consider at least the first night in BKK, somewhere near Nana, the action will certainly still be going on when you get there.

I have been to Koh Samet and loved it, but as another poster said it's probably better to take company to the islands.

As others have told you food is generally cheap, the "food is expensive in Pattaya" line is probably from Lonely Planet. Compared to Australia eating is cheap.

If you are sensible about what and where you eat you should be OK, all the same you will probably have a few wobbly botty days, but that won't spoil your enjoyment of the most special place that is LOS. Let's have a first timers trip report.

The people here r very helpful, been reading thru a few other different Pattaya forums, but this one seems to have the most useful info.

Basinboy, "food is expensive in Pattaya" line was out of lonely planet LOL!!

What is LOS?

Food could be expensive anywhere in the world if you have got bad habbit of gulping lobsters all the time. pattaya is inexpensive for everything from bottled water to pussies. Can you tell me any other place (tourist centric) in the world where a decent hotel room with aircon is available for 12-15USD 1luv and pussies for as low as 15USD st and 25-30USD lt?

But still bring lot of money :ang2

• 2 weeks later...

You don't need to book a hotel for september because it's a low season and you get a discount usually between 20-50%.With over 300 hotels around the resort and for 90% of them, the rate is under 1000baht, about 25 US dollar, you have a large choice. If you book hotel over 600-700 baht it's better do it true an local agency you will geht free American Breakfast Buffet and sometimes better rates.For example : If you like building hotel, try the Pattaya centre soi 12, nice view from the room and good location about 800 baht.The markland, soi 1 offer the same for about 1000 baht together near beach road. Second road Royal Palace, Twin Palace and Welcome Plaza for about 700 800 baht. For Bungalow or resort, walking around the city you will certainly found nice hotels. For example the Nautical Inn with extra large garden 600-700 baht beach road soi 11.The cottage in front of BI C dpt store soi2 for 600 baht, you feel like a resort hotel in a small thai city.For cheap, Soi 10 Sawadee seaview start from 200 baht.The Siam City Park Pattaya-Naklua road from 350 baht or the Royal Nice soi 5 beach road from 300 baht.

The food is usually not expensive if you like local restaurant. Try a soup or" Ka Kao mou"

(rice with porc) it's usually about 30 baht =0,80 Us Dollar. Some international restaurant offer cheap price. Kiss food on second road in front of Mike Dpt store, the restaurant in the beach view hotel, soi 2 is definitively the cheapest good restaurant in the beach road. The restaurant in soi 6/beach road is cheap too.

For go to ko Samet you have to take a bus to rayong and then a boat to the island. Malibu in soi

Post office offer backages.

So good luck for your holiday.

B)

LOOKS LIKE EVERYONE ANSWERED YOU QUESTIONS. I AM A NEWBEE TOO BUT HAVE DONE PATTAYA 5 TIMES IN 14 MONTHS AND THIS IS MY RECC:-

1. KOH CHANG DEF BUT 3 HOURS IN BUS BUT STOPS MID WAY IF GO USE COOKIES BUNGALOWS OR HOTEL ON WHITE SANDS BEACH (CAN GO AIR AS WELL IF WANT)

2. MY BEST DEAL FOR FALANG FOOD STAR DICE ON BEACH ROAD BUT WATCH THE TOILET ATTENDANTS!

3. HOTELS SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE DEPENDS ON BUDGET BUT IF WANT ENGLISH RUN AND APARTMENT NOT ROOM WITH TV/DVD/VID/AIR ETC I GO SAME EACH TIME (EMAIL ME IF WANT NAME) SOI 3 (CENTRAL AND ON BAHT ROUTE) AND I KNOW OWNER WELL.

I WILL BE LOS 13TH JULY (CAN'T WAIT) AND DOING CHIANG MAI AS WELL SO IF YOU NEED A REPORT FROM THERE AFTER MY TRIP POST IT

HAVE FUN !

BONE,

when you type on a board or forum with your CAPLOCKS on, you are screaming, shouting, or yelling.

This is for your information.

regards ting

Hello to you all...

Will be in Pattaya around september, 1st timer also :banana

I will be flying into Singapore first for work for about a week, then making my way to Pattaya, maybe meet up with some of you people :chogdee2

Taking a chance of Hotel situation as i am travelling light, still have to head back to SG :rolleyes: for my flight back.

Also will have my laptop, heard about the dial-up connection packs:

http://www.bangkokbob.net/computers.html

Will i pick one up easy? (I know what you are all thinking :clap1 )

Apologies for all the questions!!!

With internet connection packs, be aware that there is a usage fee associated with using the nationwide 1222 number. I was expecting to pay just the 5 baht connection charge for each session, then was suprised when my landlord asked for 4000 baht after 3 months of use. It seemed to amount to about 8-10 baht per hour, in addition to the cost of the package (329 for each 30 days), still much cheaper than internet cafes.