Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 244 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Medical Insurance

Hi all ..

i know there is already a medical thread just below this but i think this is worth a seperate thread.

I have a lady coming out in a about 30 mins (broker)

she has got me at age 42 a medical insurance package with a reputable company

covers 6400 per day in patient , double for ICU. all of the benefits seem higher than that on offer with either AXA or expats(thaivisa) . for there equivlaent priced polices .

the price they have give me is 20,500 baht per year, the clincher being it can be paid quarterly or bi-annualy.

so only 5k baht per quarter for me !. they do direct payament with all the main hospitals she says eg. bkk-pattaya , and you get a flashy plastic card to wave at them lol

i'm going to compare polices, benefits etc in depth when she gets here and will scan and post the forms for all to see.

sounds to good to be true so i'm hoping.

oh also when i saw the forms she had the other day i noticed it said on the top max age 90. as i know some ppl have had problems with hefty prices in old age.

i also noticed that most companies are about 8000 more for a young child. these ones were 300 baht more ! 20,800 for a 0-5 yr old i think.

Seems a little below average in price for sure. Hate to generalise about this stuff, but something like 40,000 or 50,000 a year is more common for decent coverage.

I don't think anyone can give excellent advice except "read carefully" and "question a lot" and then do the right thing.

More of what Joe says......

Keep in mind that whilst 6400/day may cover a room at the Dusit, it is somewhat less than the room only charge for the hospital you mentioned (BKK-Pattaya). Check if the insurance includes the more reasonable places in Sri Racha or the Sirikit in Sattahip. But, as you say looks comparable.

What is the maximum liability the policy offers?

Is the 6,400/day broken down....eg for the Expats Club Group Policy there is (up to) 4000/day for room, 2000 physician fees and a few other sundries (hospital general expenses.) The policies make it difficult to fully understand the maximum cover offered, and different companies use different categories making it hard to compare.

I am still looking for one that says..'whatever the bill is, we pay it 100%', and offers disability payments too.

Appreciate the feedback and hope to read more. An important topic for Expats.

Edited by jacko
I am still looking for one that says..'whatever the bill is, we pay it 100%', and offers disability payments too.

I had one of those. Jeez, I am really getting old. I lost it when the buggy whip factory where I was working went broke. While I had it they paid for one very expensive hospital workup in a foreign country, and a couple of years later bitxhed for three months before they finally forked over for a Bangkok treatment (no hospital) because they insisted my claim was TOO LOW! They thought I'd come back for more later, and when they were finally convinced that "that was it" they paid.

"Just send us the bill" was all they ever said, to me at least.

i have all the papers .. price is right ,.. will scan them 2morrow.

seems an odd policy imho .. however it could be there being more honest that others.

its with auyuda, but soooooo many odd things listed and not listed on there surgical fees list ..

itsa a audaha hopsital plan plus there rider plan c, whatever that is .

as i said .. will scan the lot and add to thread when i'm sober :D

I had one of those. Jeez, I am really getting old. I lost it when the buggy whip factory where I was working went broke.

It was very possibly why they went broke.

Suggest insurance evaluation not be done by premium and various published coverages.

The industry survives by assessing odds and playing them. Then if the odds go against them, they try to dodge.

Personally, I would suggest paying more than the minimum for this category expenditure if you can get some information of the relevant company's history of honest reimbursement and their strength of solvency. The Expat Club there may be a good place to inquire. Group plans have several advantages, one of which is that someone in the room likely has made a claim and his experience in doing so may be a good thing to hear about.

I would suggest you try getting a second quote from a reputable broker. We use AA Insurance who are alongside Big C on Sirkhumvit Road, Pattaya. We use them. The owner speaks at the Expat meeting and provides the Expat insurance. He is English and gives good advice.

I would suggest you try getting a second quote from a reputable broker. We use AA Insurance who are alongside Big C on Sirkhumvit Road, Pattaya. We use them. The owner speaks at the Expat meeting and provides the Expat insurance. He is English and gives good advice.

i have around 20 qoutes now.

tbh best ones seem to be from www.e-insurethailand.com

they send a huge customised spreadsheet out showing whats what

the original one . i posted about here after looking harder is a bag of shite

I would suggest you get professional advice. Look at my reply to the other medical question. I put more details in and some questions you need to ask yourself.

20 quotes sounds too many to choose from. Unless they are for the same insurer. I believe they will not be much less than going through a reliable broker. We checked our car insurance and it was the same through a broker as buying direct.

I would say do not look at just the cost. Look at what you get and most important the reliability of the insurance company (will it still be there when I need it in the future). I considered only large international companies.

• 1 month later...

i second the e-insure thailand post, i used them just now, got all the relevant insurer's quotes its indeed around 20 policies or so, and I was able to make a well informed decision, which i am very happy with.

They are a reliable broker, ajarn.com teams up with them...

• 5 weeks later...