Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

single entry o visa

Seek and ye shall find

http://www.pattayatalk.com/forums/index.ph...l=non-immigrant

Since your visa is only good for one entry, then you will have to return with no visa (30 day maximum stay plus 7-day extension maximum) or get another visa before your return - if you leave.

A non-immigrant visa can be extended indefinitely IF you intend to remain in Thailand a year or more, and the paperwork the first time is fairly extensive.

• 3 weeks later...

Single entry cannot be extended other than for retirement or business where your visa will piggy back on your work permit.

A 7 day extension should usually be granted for Bt1900 or its over to the border for 30 day runs or further afield for a tourist visa.

TOTAL SPECULATION ON MY PART AND I COULD WELL BE WRONG.

Few years ago when the immigration office was located off of soi 8. I was told by and old Asia hand that the owner of a small convenience store near the office was the wife of the head of immigration and if I wanted a visa without filling out a lot of pesky paperwork for a reasonable consideration given to her I could get any visa I wanted. She also told me for a unreasonable consideration I could become a Thai citizen.

Now that the immigration office has moved to Jomtiem, I lost track of her. If your interested in going this route, I'd check with the expat bars close to the new office and see what you come up with.

It doesn't sound like he's looking for a retirement visa anyway, so his question was probably answered by the others.

Seek and ye shall find

http://www.pattayatalk.com/forums/index.ph...l=non-immigrant

Since your visa is only good for one entry, then you will have to return with no visa (30 day maximum stay plus 7-day extension maximum) or get another visa before your return - if you leave.

A non-immigrant visa can be extended indefinitely IF you intend to remain in Thailand a year or more, and the paperwork the first time is fairly extensive.

But there is one error in your post you linked Joe:

"That is what the threads on here refer to often (technically incorrectly) as a retirement visa, spouse visa, etc. Effectively, you can extend them for 9 months, and then for another year on year, indefinitely - with the right accompanying paperwork.

A "retirement visa" or a "work visa" or a "spouse visa" is simply an extended non-immigrant visa.

However, you don't just walk in and plunk down your money, if that is what you mean. If you want a short extension on a non-imm, you can probably get it on a case by case request for almost any credible reason."

You are correct in that it is not officially called a "retirement visa". If you make application for it while you are in Thailand it is a 12 month permission to stay stamp based on retirement that is added onto the back of the single entry non immigrant O. The expiration date of that original Non Immigrant O then becomes the date that you must re-apply by for another 12 month permission to stay stamp.

~Sa-teef

But there is one error in your post you linked Joe:

Okay, but I'm not quite sure what it is. Do you mean the 9-month reference? That's correct. As your 90-day non-immigrant expires, you apply for a one-year extension. That extension (if granted) is given to the date of FIRST ENTRY, not to the date of application.

So: Enter on June 1, apply on 30 August (roughly), visa will be extended to 31 May only - for retirement or whatever - NOT to 29 August. The following year, you apply on 30 May for another one year, and this time you get the full year (sort of).

Or did I miss your point entirely?

Okay, but I'm not quite sure what it is. Do you mean the 9-month reference? That's correct. As your 90-day non-immigrant expires, you apply for a one-year extension. That extension (if granted) is given to the date of FIRST ENTRY, not to the date of application.

So: Enter on June 1, apply on 30 August (roughly), visa will be extended to 31 May only - for retirement or whatever - NOT to 29 August. The following year, you apply on 30 May for another one year, and this time you get the full year (sort of).

Or did I miss your point entirely?

That's correct. Joe.

I applied for my fist annual extension in October 2005 but was only given until the end of August when I had last entered Thailand.

Alan

Perhaps back then it was true.

-I entered Thailand first week of May on a tourist visa.

-Completed my tm86 converting it to a non immigrant O approximately the 13th of May. That was good for 90 days from the date I applied or until 10 August. I applied after the 12th of July for my 12 month permission to stay (Soi Suam Pleu in Bangkok requires you to wait until there is less than 30 days remaining on it now) and received a stamp good until 10 August, 2009. That's my single entry O in my avatar and you can read very faintly the August 10 2008 date on it. Be happy to show you or Alan by 12 month permission to stay stamp dated August 10, 2009 next week in my passport.

EDIT: No that's the application date on my avatar. It expired 10 august 2008.

~Sa-teef

Edited by Sa-teef

I have no argument with ANYONE in Thailand who says, "For me they did it differently." I consider that a feature and not a bug in Thailand - and it happens all the time.

There's the rules, there's the "most of the time" and there's the "that's not what happened to me".

Just so you know I'm not jiving you.............

Entered early May on a single entry (60 day) tourist visa.

They say you must have at least 21 days left on your present visa (or 30 day entry stamp) to make application at Bangkok.

Zipped over to the US Consulate Citizen Services Office and got my income letter since I don't keep more than 50,000-60,000 baht in my Thai savings account (earning a whopping 0.75% interest). That's my emergency fund. It cost me 900 baht as I recall and took about an hour or so.

Made application on May 13th at Soi Suan Pleu on Sathorn Road to convert my tourist visa to a non immigrant O on a form tm86 I believe. Paid my 2k baht but all I've got is a receipt so far, no visa. They tell you a date when you can stop back to find out if you got it or not. If all your paper work is in order it's pretty much certain but......? They told me to come back on approximately 21st of May.

Stopped back on the 21st and they dig through some piles, find my application and I finally get a stamp in my passport:

visa-1.jpg

The beginning date is 13 May the day I applied, not the 21st when I picked it up. Strange but it's their country. They also immediately stamp the single entry O as "USED" in big red letters.

visa-2.jpg

They also give me this stamp which tells me it's issued based on retirement, but it's still technically only good for 90 days.

visa-3.jpg

They tell you to stop back when there is less than 30 left and apply for a 12 month permission to stay stamp.

So on the 15th of July I'm back in Bangkok and make application for a 12 month permission to stay based on retirement. That's when I get the good one:

visa-4.jpg

My original single entry non immigrant O was issued officially 13 May and expired 10 August 2008.

The 12 month permission to stay date is now 10 August, 2009.

And just because I was having so much fun that day, I wandered over to the other office and got my multiple re-entry permit which also has that same date:

visa-5.jpg

So that's how it went this summer.

With Thai immigration it's always like that box of chocolates........... :bigsmile:

~Sa=teef

Edited by Sa-teef

Steve,

My 12 month permission to stay is stamped "Retirement" nothing about "Non Imm" on it, the multiple re-entry does have "Non Imm" in the stamp. When I got my 1st retirement visa and multiple re-entry permit they shorted me some days as they based the starting date on the date that I entered LOS on the 30 day visit. The following 2 renewals I actually received more than 12 months as I renewed about 4 weeks prior to the expiration date of the old visa. Not like when I renewed my passport 8 months early, the US Embassy started the 10 year clock at the time it was processed.

Also on your next trip when your filling out your arrival card and where they ask for visa, use the numbers that are on your multiple re-entry permit.

Edited by Emil

Hi Emil,

If you notice in the 4th picture I have a part of a red RETIREMENT stamp on mine as well.

I cropped them here and there rather than post my visa number on an open board.

A little bird you've met a couple times mentioned that the thai script after NON "O" says I'm old and can't work anymore! I think their concept of retirement might be a little different than ours! :rolleyes:

"Also on your next trip when your filling out your arrival card and where they ask for visa, use the numbers that are on your multiple re-entry permit."

Thank you. Yes, I figured that part out already when I left briefly and returned on the original Non O.

~Sa-teef

Hi Emil,

If you notice in the 4th picture I have a part of a red RETIREMENT stamp on mine as well.

Mine is blue ink and inside a rectangular box, same color as the rest of the visa stamp except the expiration date is red.

A little bird you've met a couple times mentioned that the thai script after NON "O" says I'm old and can't work anymore! I think their concept of retirement might be a little different than ours!
Well, since we qualify at 50+ years here I guess their concept is different than our Government's.

Interesting aside, can a foreigner who is less than 50, but disabled and unable to work, get a retirement visa (extension) for LOS?

Edited by jacko

I'm PRETTY sure retirement visas are age-specific, although I'd take a correction with proof.

A foreigner disabled and unable to work and with no real connections to the country wouldn't ... um, no nice way to say this, really wouldn't be wanted. If he married a Thai, he would be wanted and welcomed with a spouse visa, though. For example. And presuming they had the requisite income and bank account, etc.

I'm PRETTY sure retirement visas are age-specific, although I'd take a correction with proof.

A foreigner disabled and unable to work and with no real connections to the country wouldn't ... um, no nice way to say this, really wouldn't be wanted. If he married a Thai, he would be wanted and welcomed with a spouse visa, though. For example. And presuming they had the requisite income and bank account, etc.

I accept your knowledge of the subject but find the reasoning a little odd. Considering a below 50 year old foreigner, disabled and unable to work, who had the retirement requisite income and bank account, etc, might he be a little MORE desirable (wanted) than someone at 51, who didn't want to work? Surely the reason behind granting retirement visas, is just to bring money into the kingdom.
I accept your knowledge of the subject but find the reasoning a little odd.

So you're saying you don't work for the government?

One rule fits all for those "people" jacko, you must know that. "Retired" for this one-size rule means you've worked and now you don't because your're over 50.

Actually I kind of grasp the simplistic reasoning except that for Thais retirement of that sort doesn't begin until 60 and I can't figure out how the "civil" "servants" arrived at 50.

Considering a below 50 year old foreigner, disabled and unable to work, who had the retirement requisite income and bank account, etc, might he be a little MORE desirable (wanted)

Seriously? Seriously there are so many categories of people that can stay indefinitely on non-immigrant visas that if a person WANTED to stay in Thailand and had that "requisite" funding, he could find a way. But I'm pretty sure he can't get a retirement extension, that's all.

Well, I don't specifically NOT work because I am over 50.... more because I tried it for a lot of years and didn't like it very much. :banghead Obviously I also decided I could afford to do this too.

It was just a thought for me, I always considered 50 was a surprising age the government to chose for 'retirement'... and if it is only about money....well it is isn't it? The other reality is I doubt the pavements of Pattaya or Nhok Wok Buri would be suitable for a disabled person. I do from time to time see someone in an electric wheelchair taking on Sukhumvit/ Pattaya Klang junction.... impressive nerve.

Edited by jacko