Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Hi

i will be taking my laptop with me for the first time,i have a samsung nc10.

do i just switch on computer and start surfing or do i need anything extra?

is a main line better than wi fi, if it is what do i need if anything and where to buy in pattaya

many thanks

Hi

i will be taking my laptop with me for the first time,i have a samsung nc10.

do i just switch on computer and start surfing or do i need anything extra?

is a main line better than wi fi, if it is what do i need if anything and where to buy in pattaya

many thanks

Assuming there's a Wi-Fi switch on the computer somewhere, turn it on. The computer will find the available Wi-Fi networks in that area and tell you whether they're locked or not. If you're staying at a guesthouse or hotel, you usually have to get the password for their network from the front desk.

J

Yeah, no need for anything additional, such as signal boosters or anything like that. Just make sure to ask if the hotel has strong, fast, and reliable internet. I don't really know of any hotels that are going to BS you about something like that.

Edited by Mr.Dream Transport

Some places like the Eastiny 7 have wired internet to the superior rooms. Reception supplied the ethernet cable.

Signal strength for wired or wi-fi is random depending on where you are.

Have you used your WIFI before. If not, you might want to go to some place near home that has free WIFI and try to connect.

It should be easy but a little practice can't hurt. Also, more than likely you will need a password from the hotel.

Have you used your WIFI before. If not, you might want to go to some place near home that has free WIFI and try to connect.

It should be easy but a little practice can't hurt. Also, more than likely you will need a password from the hotel.

A lot of Mc Donalds branches now have Wi-Fi

Good question.

Use fn+f9 to switch on/off the wireless capability on your NC10. If there is a password required you will need to enter it once the NC10 acquires the network when you open your browser.

These small computers are quite good, and there should not be too much more to it than that.

You can use an ethernet connection if there is an active port in the room and you have an ethernet cable. It seems like more places go with wireless if they offer internet access. :allright

Edited by too_mutt

Bring a 110/220 power strip with you. Cost is cheap for the protection provided. Do a google for many providers.

• 4 weeks later...
A lot of Mc Donalds branches now have Wi-Fi

Also many airport/airline lounges - Qantas for example.

Suggest you test your connectivity in either Macca's or an airport lounge (if you are a member of course)

D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I agree with BigDUSA about the power strip..get one and bring it with you. Yes you can plug your laptop/netbook directly into the wall in Thailand but the jolts a times will fry it and everything...I talk from experience...I had my very new Sony laptop up in Korat (in a village) and everything was OK for a day or so, and then the light in the house and the village when on and off a couple of times and my pretty new Sony went to either heaven or hell OR neither if you are into buddhism. sp

ilovethailand

I agree with BigDUSA about the power strip..get one and bring it with you.

I'd just buy one in Thailand and take it home. Saves money, saves lugging it.

I'd just buy one in Thailand and take it home. Saves money, saves lugging it.

I agree but if the guy comes in late to Pattaya and hasn't bought the power strip and plugs his computer in and turns it on. He could get zapped.

Edited by BigDUSA

No, he won't get zapped in Pattaya. Tens of thousands of computers are plugged in and turned on every day in Thailand. That's not even mentioning that netbooks are for travelling.

Of *course* you can try to be safe, I wouldn't say otherwise. And you can also drive yourself nuts trying to account for every last little thing. For me, with all the crap I carry (and I am not even CLOSE to one of those "road warriors" of the computer magazines) I wouldn't dream of carrying an entire surge protector strip for my netbook in Thailand. That's my advice.

I wouldn't worry about any power surges with my netbook. If I had a serious setup that i traveled with, maybe i would consider some extra protection such as a travel surge protector:post-17899-1246837219.jpg

Thanks for replies,i will buy a power strip for my next trip.

When i plugged in i got a few sparks and a surge noise of electric.

The cheap 3 pin uk to thai 2 pin did not last long,maybe because of surge but i thought the adaptor would not be affected by a surge.

I bought a more expensive adapter in big c(only 60 baht) with a little red switch on it so i could plug it in the wall first then switch it on.

It lasted for my trip but still got sparks lol.

A power strip is just a surge protector right?

generally speaking, yes. power strips for the most part all have surge protection built in.
In LOS I would be careful with that statement.

Some power strips are most certainly just that, a way of getting power to someplace else, or more outlets.

Make sure it says 'surge protection'....

Good range in Homeworks too.

I have another device that plugs into a socket in the house, that is stated to stabilize the supply too, and reduce consumption (phase shifter).

Edited by jacko

Yes, times three. I'd bet that any random power strip does NOT have protection.

Some power strips are most certainly just that, a way of getting power to someplace else, or more outlets.

Make sure it says 'surge protection'....

Good range in Homeworks too.

I have another device that plugs into a socket in the house, that is stated to stabilize the supply too, and reduce consumption (phase shifter).

Yes, times three. I'd bet that any random power strip does NOT have protection.

Good points guys. whatever type of power strip or surge protector one buys, you should always make sure that it claims to do what is intended (surge protection) if that is your requirement.