Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

There was an interesting post on the forum of the Bangkok Post, suggesting that a Ferang could buy a Houseboat in which to live. No land would be required, just the access over someones land at a reasonable rent. This could be on a river or lake somewhere. If it had an engine, you could move about and have some change of scenery. Another suggestion was a motorhome or large caravan with electric hook up etc on a farm or similar.

A boat conversion would be needed in LOS,as houseboats are not usually on the market. So you Englishmen, when you ask a BG if she would like to 'spend the weekend on your boat', it could have an entirely different meaning.

My main concerns about either, would be security of boat or van. There is also the Mozie problem being near the water, but that goes for anywhere outside a city I guess.

Anyway, it seemed a feasible option, to the 'owning land' problem. Hey you might be able to do it as a single bloke.

When you die they just set fire to the thing, with you inside it- another saving ! :unsure:

Surely you can own the barge outright. I think I saw the same ad posting. Wasn't the ad asking for around 500,000B? Not bad, especially if the barge can be parked at a secured area.

This wasn't an ad, it was a suggestion for alternative accommodation in LOS for Ferangs. If your landlord starts playing up, you up anchor, or drive elsewhere. One bloke built his house as a mobile residence. When the owner of the land came to end his tenancy, and hopefully claim the house, he got it towed away from the sight. :D

I would think renting a house or condo would be easier and more comfortable.

As owner of a boat I can assure you that generally speaking they do not increase in equity.

What does bOAT stand for?

Break Out Another Thousand!

I thought the idea of the open road or river would hold more appeal to the cigar butt chewing, nipple pierced, tattood, grey haired, pony tailed, bandanna wearing type, than cruising around Patt's on a Harley every day. :eyecrazy

Where's your sense of adventure ? The world could be your lobster.

I can feel a Hollywood film coming on, with Sly Stalone in the lead part- Ramble Free ( followed by Four, Five, Six.... ) :thumbup

There are plenty of BM's who could play his ex 'Nam buddies ! :thumbup

Edited by nidnoyham
I can feel a Hollywood film coming on, with Sly Stalone in the lead part- Ramble Free ( followed by Four, Five, Six.... ) :allright

There are plenty of BM's who could play his ex 'Nam buddies ! 2guns

And unlike Sly, we actually served in Vietnam.

And unlike Sly, we actually served in Vietnam.

Sorry BigD, as am American, you are not allowed to separate Hollywood from fact. That is like dissing the Bible. :D

You know what's better than having a boat?

Having a friend with a boat (boat, n. a hole in the water into which you throw money.)

Are there any restrictions on who can captain a boat on a river? Most certainly only a Thai is allowed to do so at sea.

A motorhome/caravan would have to be well made to be cool enough.

If I didn't know better I would suspect the Bangkok post was taking the piss.

Be great to have some pikeys parked up on that bit of spare land stealing stuff from your yard!

Be great to have some pikeys parked up on that bit of spare land stealing stuff from your yard!

Oh no ! A Pikeyist or is it Pikeyphobic post ? :clueless :D

Oh no ! A Pikeyist or is it Pikeyphobic post ? :unsure: :D
All right....'New Age Travelers'......
It should be a lot of fun living on a houseboat during the Monsoon. Park in the wrong spot and you might end up in Cambodia. :bigsmile:

Look upon it a as visa run ! :bigsmile:

When I started reading the OP, I thought " here we go again. Nid mentioning Englishmen and ignoring the rest of the UK". But no. Credit to you sir. You realise that nobody else is so penny pinchingly stupid as to want to live in a caravan or boat in a country where the rent can be as low as 5000bht a month :D Think of Herbert. How could he go walkies on a lake? :D

Think of Herbert. How could he go walkies on a lake? 1luv

This winter he did, just a few hundred yards from where I now sit. :D

I am totally disappointed by the lack of adventure and imagination shown by otherwise, seemingly world wise, pleasure seeking individuals. Rent a condo, it will be safer- What happens if it rains and the wind gets up ? :D

Blimey, if everyone was like you lot a few centuries ago, Thailand would still be undiscovered. :unsure:

I would have thought the Brit's with their seafaring history, would have been a bit more enthusiastic. :D

Actually my wife asked this a while ago when we went fishing. In Mandurah (Western Australia) there are quite a few house boats and she reckons they would be great in Thailand and probably a good selling point. They are a bit different to the houseboat seen in Europe.

k1.jpg

BTW mrs is Thai.

When I saw the OP, I thought of all the houseboats I seen in Amsterdam. It sounds like a great idea.
As a farang of course, you are allowed to own a houseboat, but need a 30 year lease on the water.
Actually my wife asked this a while ago when we went fishing. In Mandurah (Western Australia) there are quite a few house boats and she reckons they would be great in Thailand and probably a good selling point. They are a bit different to the houseboat seen in Europe.

k1.jpg

BTW mrs is Thai.

Well congratulate her on her thinking Kev. :D

See? See ? It does have some possibilities. Not to mention fresh fish for breakfast-dinner- supper...... :rolleyes: Somewhere to rinse out your smalls- after you caught the fish ! A swimming area. Yeah ! Got you thinking now eh ? :allright

Not sure if this is a wind up or not. I'll answer anyway.

Water?

Power?

Internet?

Cable?

Sewage?

Mooring or Dock space?

Fuel?

Parking for your car/bike?

Why not just live in a marina like the rest of the live-aboards do?

Or go cruising?

Not sure if this is a wind up or not. I'll answer anyway.

Water?

Power?

Internet?

Cable?

Sewage?

Mooring or Dock space?

Fuel?

Parking for your car/bike?

Why not just live in a marina like the rest of the live-aboards do?

Or go cruising?

Oh well, if you want live like it's Miami and can't get around a few minor details, I can't help you. :D

There are hundreds of residential canal boats, in the U.K. including on London canals. How do they manage it ? :D