Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Vientianne Restaurant ?

A good deal years ago there was this Vientianne Restaurant on Second Road. Very nice food and a great place for people watching also.

The Isaan girls loved to eat here due to the Lao menu.

It closed due to I think hotel development and moved to WS. I am not sure of that. On my last visit in 2008 I looked for it

in WS, but no luck. Somebody said that it had moved to 3. Road.

Any idea if it still excists and where ?

Thanks in advance and best regards.

thaidane

A good deal years ago there was this Vientianne Restaurant on Second Road. Very nice food and a great place for people watching also.

The Isaan girls loved to eat here due to the Lao menu.

It closed due to I think hotel development and moved to WS. I am not sure of that. On my last visit in 2008 I looked for it

in WS, but no luck. Somebody said that it had moved to 3. Road.

Any idea if it still excists and where ?

Thanks in advance and best regards.

thaidane

This wonderful restaurant has had 3 locations in the last 4 years. The current location is on Pattaya Tai (South Pattaya Road) close to Sukhimvit. If you're coming from 2nd road, heading east, cross 3rd road and keep going. It's on the right somewhere after that...it's set back from Pattaya Tai down a driveway. You should be able to ask any baht bus driver or moto driver to take you there. Say "Lan Ahan When Jan" (well, that's how it sounds to me :rolleyes: ). Do not pronounce it with a "v" sound or like it's written, because they won't have a clue what you mean.

Its a great place to go with a large group of people, or even just a Thai lady in tow. The dishes tend to be a bit smaller, but at the prices, most will order multiple dishes and share. I have gone there with a few friends a while back, and loved the place. Excellent desserts as well. Price, selection, and atmosphere all get an A+ as far as I'm concerned.

Went there last night.

Directions above are good, but if you come from Sukhumvit it would be on your left, just after BigC, turn into Soi 1.

Vientiane Restaurant

And closer....

Food was of a high standard.

Reasonable prices.

Attentive service, that I kinda wished had more to do as he was all over us like a rash.

(Who trains Thai waiters, the twit reached over my TGFs plate to remove another one?!)

Plenty of parking, big open air layout. But sure looks empty when it is quiet.

Edited by jacko
Went there last night.

Directions above are good, but if you come from Sukhumvit it would be on your left, just after BigC, turn into Soi 1.

Vientiane Restaurant

And closer....

Food was of a high standard.

Reasonable prices.

Attentive service, that I kinda wished had more to do as he was all over us like a rash.

(Who trains Thai waiters, the twit reached over my TGFs plate to remove another one?!)

Plenty of parking, big open air layout. But sure looks empty when it is quiet.

Vientiane is my favorite "order out" restaurant on Door 2 Door. Their barbequed duck curry (gaeng pet phet yang) is spectacular. They also package the food nicely so when it arrives, it's palatable.

Vientiane is my favorite "order out" restaurant on Door 2 Door. Their barbequed duck curry (gaeng pet phet yang) is spectacular. They also package the food nicely so when it arrives, it's palatable.
I absolutely love gaeng pet phet, although the picky TGF wouldn't go for it. It was always my favourite at the old 'Fra Pattaya' (Other end of Pattaya Tai)

That info alone will have me back in the Vientiane soon.

I absolutely love gaeng pet phet, although the picky TGF wouldn't go for it. It was always my favourite at the old 'Fra Pattaya' (Other end of Pattaya Tai)

That info alone will have me back in the Vientiane soon.

My god, we have something in common. :thumbup Luckily my GF loves it too, and as it happens, we used to go to Fra Pattaya as well..but we had guaytiaw phet yang instead. Hang a bbq'd/roast duck in a display case, and I'm right there or mark the place for return.

Yes, I heartily recommend Vientiane's duck curry. The sauce itself is wonderful, and when/if they load it up with the duck meat... :thumbup

My god, we have something in common. :thumbup Luckily my GF loves it too, and as it happens, we used to go to Fra Pattaya as well..but we had guaytiaw phet yang instead. Hang a bbq'd/roast duck in a display case, and I'm right there or mark the place for return.

Yes, I heartily recommend Vientiane's duck curry. The sauce itself is wonderful, and when/if they load it up with the duck meat... :thumbup

My Thai isn't up to figuring out the other Fra Pattaya dish. But I am guessing it's the other dish I went for as an alternate to the roasted duck curry. It was a large plate of fried roasted duck that came with Kale? I recall it also came with the pink pickled ginger? Edited by jacko
My Thai isn't up to figuring out the other Fra Pattaya dish. But I am guessing it's the other dish I went for as an alternate to the roasted duck curry. It was a large plate of fried roasted duck that came with Kale? I recall it also came with the pink pickled ginger?

If it was on a bed of rice with kale, I'm guessing it might have been what I think is called khao na phet yang. I always forget the name too. No, the guay tiow (sort of sounds like that) is noodle soup (where you order your noodle size...sen mii, sen lek, sen something-else-but-big-noodles). It's in a broth and then they add the meat...pork, beef, duck etc. Lovely stuff you eat with chopsticks and a short spoon.

If it was on a bed of rice with kale, I'm guessing it might have been what I think is called khao na phet yang. I always forget the name too. No, the guay tiow (sort of sounds like that) is noodle soup (where you order your noodle size...sen mii, sen lek, sen something-else-but-big-noodles). It's in a broth and then they add the meat...pork, beef, duck etc. Lovely stuff you eat with chopsticks and a short spoon.
Ah yes, I have tried that but somewhere else. Unfortunately the pieces of duck seemed to be the odds and ends I would normally throw away! Put off for life!

Back to the old joke, I ordered a large duck and all I got was a big bill! :D

• 3 months later...

Wasn't that restaurant (Vientiane Restaurant) on walking street a few years ago just south of the FLB? I took a couple of my dates there in 2005, and 2006.

Edited by eltib
Wasn't that restaurant (Vientiane Restaurant) on walking street a few years ago just south of the FLB? I took a couple of my dates there in 2005, and 2006.

I thought the old one was on second rd, where the Avenue is now.

They may well have had a second operation where you say though.

I thought the old one was on second rd, where the Avenue is now.

They may well have had a second operation where you say though.

It was on second road, but then moved to make way for the Avenues (years later), moved to Walking St, near Nang Nual, then moved to Pattaya Tai near Big C. They do get around.

I liked it best when it was the big old barn on 2nd road, had man really good meals there. Food was still good when it went to WS but the decor was too tourist/yuppie date night for me. Have to give it a go at the new locale.

I liked it best when it was the big old barn on 2nd road, had man really good meals there. Food was still good when it went to WS but the decor was too tourist/yuppie date night for me. Have to give it a go at the new locale.
There has been quite a switch of styles between these 3 locations. I would say now it is more open/ Thai/ coach party style now. But they have maintained a high standard of food. Edited by jacko
  • 1 month later...

I went to the Pattaya Tai location in early November and there were only a few people in what is a very large restaurant. As it is off the beaten path a bit the people there seemed to be more expats and Thai than tourist. Food was very good and not expensive. They have an extensive menu with regional Thai styles as well as international. I will go back for sure. It is on the south side of the street and set back about 50-100 meters with a large parking area so you need to be looking for it the first time you go.

Do not pronounce it with a "v" sound or like it's written, because they won't have a clue what you mean.

yes, the transliteration is WAY off IMHO

Weean Jun is the capital of Laos, but for some reason they spell it with Vs & Ts

Rahn Ahahn = Restaurant

the new location is right near Big C South, as already covered.

I guess they are doing really well to have moved locations so much

I bet the rent down on Walk St. was cutting pretty deep into profits

The restaurant is large and often seems to be almost deserted, however last Friday night there were 6 coaches parked outside and the place was extremely busy.

it's obviously now on the tour bus routes, which would explain their move to over by Big C

hopefully their prices won't go thru the roof now

the places I've seen that get tour bus loads of customers usually have crazy prices, but the tourists on those busses don't know the difference.