Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Gooses Fish and Chips...

Those F&C look rather good Joe, but it's an internet pic not your own....

What about THESE.

Fair enough. I don't photograph food, actually.

However yours don't pass the jacko test - no pees. (I can't bring myself to call that "thing" peas.)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes no mushy peas gloop, I was rather surprised myself, it being oop north an' all. But they were only a fiver...

(sorry about the photo quip they DID look very crispy on the batter front - once a restaurant critic, always a w***** maybe)

Edited by capdagde
Why would anyone pay 260 baht for a fish'n chips meal? You can get the fish'n chips for about that same price, maybe cheaper, at the Sizzler and you get the all you can eat salad bar buffet as well for free. Leave the fish'n chips on the plate, fill up on the free salad bar, and have them put the F&C in a box and take it home and eat it later. Best value for money F&C in all of Thailand IMHO.

Right on the button. At 169 Baht it's a bargain. The "free" soup, salad and dessert would cost that elsewhere.

Right on the button. At 169 Baht it's a bargain. The "free" soup, salad and dessert would cost that elsewhere.

There's no pees!

Yeah, and what with the closed borders and absolutely no immigration or foreign-owned businesses allowed....

This took me almost 30 seconds counting Google and the blasted "manage current attachments" thingmy. It's in a small town in Colorado state. There might be one or two others, you think? Yeah, you're probably right, really.... not a CHANCE there would be British fish and chips in the US.

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

They're such provincials, those old colonials. No foreign contact at all.

So you agree with me, for good fish and chips you have to go British... all the others are crap!

I tried Long John Silvers once... if that is the USA's idea then better have some pre-chewed meat on a bun eh?

So you agree with me, for good fish and chips you have to go British... all the others are crap!

On the contrary, I disagree with you that the upstart and uppity colonials don't have British fish and.

I actually LIKE British-style fish-and once in a while, so long as it's without the pees. But I prefer a little less, er, slipperyness, especially with the fish. I agree that Mr Heineke's steak restaurant has one of the best fish fries around, no doubt about it. I do believe on the other hand that the Brits absolutely use the right kind of fish. Chips, French fries, freedom fries or whatever you call them - I think they're a personal call. I like big ones with skin. Others don't, what can I say other than they're totally wrong?

They had a Long John Silver's in Bangkok that I ate at once. Apparently a few other people did, too, because it was gone in less than a year.

Edited by joekicker
Long John Silvers fish and fries with the hush puppies and crunchies RULES! ;)
Is it the shoes you eat or the Basset Hounds?
If you don't know, then you have never eaten at LJS. Nuff said.
You know shit Stinky.... left-over cornmeal batter deep fried, used to be fed to the dog!

I have never eaten well at Long John Silvers...

Edited by jacko
You know shit Stinky.... left-over cornmeal batter deep fried, used to be fed to the dog!

I have never eaten well at Long John Silvers...

I will not bite at your feable attempt to drag me into a flame fest. I will however, tell you that I enjoy eating hushpuppies very much. If you do not, then that is your opinion. My personal opinion of English food, from the one business trip I took there years ago, is that it is tasteless and everything is fried in oil. I never had shit slide out my arse so easy. So much oil in the food, kept my pipes good and lubricated. That is my opinion only.

I will not bite at your feable attempt to drag me into a flame fest. I will however, tell you that I enjoy eating hushpuppies very much. If you do not, then that is your opinion. My personal opinion of English food, from the one business trip I took there years ago, is that it is tasteless and everything is fried in oil. I never had shit slide out my arse so easy. So much oil in the food, kept my pipes good and lubricated. That is my opinion only.
I will not extol British food, it isn't that great, but good fish and chips can be had there.

Other than that, as the French like to say, to eat well you would need to take breakfast 3 times a day.

But everything fried in oil.... no, that is the Scots and Mars bars, pies and savouries figure more, a lot of baking and roasting.

A Hush puppy, (not the shoe brand), is simply deep fried left over salty batter, comfort food and filler, like Yorkshire pudding.

The sad thing to me is that Americans are quite content and know no better than to eat at places like LJS, Taco Bell, KFC, McDs etc.

You stand in line and go eat at a formica table, eat with your fingers, and are meant to clear your own table after.

Even in the USA you can do much better.

Edited by jacko
I will not extol British food, it isn't that great, but good fish and chips can be had there.

Other than that, as the French like to say, to eat well you would need to take breakfast 3 times a day.

But everything fried in oil.... no, that is the Scots and Mars bars, pies and savouries figure more, a lot of baking and roasting.

A Hush puppy, (not the shoe brand), is simply deep fried left over salty batter, comfort food and filler, like Yorkshire pudding.

The sad thing to me is that Americans are quite content and know no better than to eat at places like LJS, Taco Bell, KFC, McDs etc.

You stand in line and go eat at a formica table, eat with your fingers, and are meant to clear your own table after.

Even in the USA you can do much better.

You go and start taking the piss about Taco Bell, and you will get me angry mate.

You go and start taking the piss about Taco Bell, and you will get me angry mate.
Oh come on.....

Quesadillas and Nachos are a great snack with the beer in a sports bar....

But for dinner, I don't want to be walking back to a table carrying a tray, eating with my fingers and having the stuff spill out all over the table.... did you grow up in a trailer? ;)

Edited by jacko
Oh come on.....

Quesadillas and Nachos are a great snack with the beer in a sports bar....

But for dinner, I don't want to be walking back to a table carrying a tray, eating with my fingers and having the stuff spill out all over the table.... did you grow up in a trailer? :bigsmile:

So are you a member of the elite now? I eat with my hands because I can. If other people don't like watching, they can fuck right off. I suppose you are one of the people that eats their chips with a fork?

"eat at a formica table, eat with your fingers, and are meant to clear your own table "

This topic has gone WAY off track, but I'll add my two Baht here anyway.

So what's wrong with the Thais who are so lazy they can't even take up their own trays ?

I remember when KFC & McDonald's was new in some places in LOS & found it quite funny to watch a load of them come in & grab a booth, then wait patiently for someone to take their order, LOL

best F&C & EVER had was in Melbourne at the Fox & Hounds pub, fan-freakin'-tastic

gotta refrain from using the full-on F word here in Mayberry (open forum)

Cletus might shoot my tires out & put me in jail for the night for using cuss words.

When am I due to get upgraded anyway ?

So are you a member of the elite now? I eat with my hands because I can. If other people don't like watching, they can fuck right off. I suppose you are one of the people that eats their chips with a fork?
Well I could hardly eat them with a knife could I? :bigsmile:

And you don't eat with cutlery because you can't.

Edited by jacko
"eat at a formica table, eat with your fingers, and are meant to clear your own table "

This topic has gone WAY off track, but I'll add my two Baht here anyway.

So what's wrong with the Thais who are so lazy they can't even take up their own trays ?

I remember when KFC & McDonald's was new in some places in LOS & found it quite funny to watch a load of them come in & grab a booth, then wait patiently for someone to take their order, LOL

best F&C & EVER had was in Melbourne at the Fox & Hounds pub, fan-freakin'-tastic

gotta refrain from using the full-on F word here in Mayberry (open forum)

Cletus might shoot my tires out & put me in jail for the night for using cuss words.

When am I due to get upgraded anyway ?

Way off track but attracting attention......

Yes, the Thais expect to be served in a restaurant, just like I do.

Even at the Fox and Hounds in Melbourne, I bet the excellent fish and chips were brought to you...with a knife and fork!

That is the difference, dining, or just eating.

A restaurant or a fast food outlet.

I have no idea when you will get upgraded....... 50 or 100 posts perhaps.

Edited by jacko
How long ago was that ?

As I say, it was very forgettable all around. This is what I recall, quickly:

They were on Bang Na-Trat, the north side service road, just west of Central Bang Na - around Soi 29 I think, but don't hold me to that, it could have been a little further west. That would, oh, very roughly the late 1980s and again I'm working from a memory that has been trying to forget that place. My wife and I both wondered how you could eff up seafood in Bangkok that badly. I'd bet it was a very poorly run franchise, too, with little supervision from the big boys -- like that Carl's Jr that was open so very briefly in Seacon.

Even at the Fox and Hounds in Melbourne, I bet the excellent fish and chips were brought to you...with a knife and fork!

Well, at Fox & Hounds you had to walk to the bar to make your order most of the time, there were not many waitresses on the pub floor, but the bartenders did serve it to you at your table.

I always sat at the bar, so no worried getting my order in.

Joe K.

Wow, a little longer than I care to remember, 555

First I'm hearing about Carl's Jr. in Seacon too, but I didn't live in BKK most of my years in LOS.

• 3 weeks later...

I can say that I've never had any F&Cs as good as homemade fried catfish w/hush puppies 'n french fries (and coleslaw...almost forgot). (Never been to England though). I do like F&Cs a lot though :D

As far as Gooses goes...I liked it. I had good service, but I was usually the only person there. Their tartar sauce stood out. I wouldn't have a clue what proper mushy peas taste like, but I guess they were ok at Gooses. The chips were good. The price was high...that's about the only negative thing I can say about the place.

Edited by overseasplease

Somewhat shocked that my fellow countrymen would use Long Johns Silver as a measure of the best fish and chips available in the US. Long Johns Silver is the McDonald's of fast food fish. Grew up in New England and there are plenty of places to get excellent fish and chips (made with real fresh cod).