Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Well here's the deal, my wife and I are in the middle of negotitations with a condo owner in Issan. We will be buying the condo from him on a payment schedule and I guess I don't know what I should be looking for when it comes to a purchase contract. I've never bought a property anywhere or ever for that fact, and I don't wanna make a mistake and thought maybe some of you guys who have been down this road could offer a little advice. He has a lawyer who is also a farang who will be drawing the contract but I also know he's working for him so I kinda like some ammo of my own. Here are the details that were proposed by the seller, tell me what you think.

Selling price is 220k baht

very small condo but were only buying it for a vacation property

35,000 baht down

$275.00 US per month for 24 months

6.50% interest

and I pay 4k baht per year in condo fee's

What can ya offer me???? :D

Get yourself a lawyer

Good advice :grin-jump

If you know nothing about estate sell/buy and nothing about it in Thailand, a lawyer is the best way to avoid any future bad surprise.

Most of them ask about 10,000 baht for that. Try to reduce his price arguing of the very low price of this condo. (220.000 ??). Try and ask to several, they are many and everywhere in Pattaya.

dont listen to people in forums when parting with your money is my advice

Another good advice :grin-jump

Tony at Magna Carta is the best person to contact. Used him when purchasing my condo.

The best ? Why ?? Your friend ? Yourself ? :P

Better to use a Thai lawyer to buy in Thailand.

Worst sharks in Pattaya are some falangs making their business there...

It can be costly, making such sweeping remarks.

Best to ask someone who's gone through the whole process.

Get yourself a lawyer and dont listen to people in forums when parting with your money is my advice
In Thailand, getting yourself a lawyer is not all it is cracked up to be.

Learning from the mistakes of others, in forums, does have benefits...

Wanna hear some Thai lawyer stories...... :P

Edited by jacko

Again using a well recommended lawyer is good advice .....

Worst sharks in Thailand are, assuredly, not falangs making business here......

I feel your advice is suspect... may I ask your experience to be making these sweeping statements....?

Tony at Magna Carta has been mentioned on the Pattaya forums for many years and I cannot recall seeing anything but positive comments. I used his services in regard to buying a condo and another matter recently; he was very helpful and knew his way around. He has Thais working for him.

I feel your advice is suspect...

may I ask your experience to be making these sweeping statements....?

Luckily not me directly, but a naive compatriot who found a nice condo and bought it using the "legal services" of a guy of our country found through an ads in a local paper. Ok he has is condo, his chanote and every thing seems ok. Good. The only thing is that he paid for this "legal service" something like 5% of the price of his 4 Mbaht condo ! 200.000 baht only to verify that everything is ok with the chanote and take him at the Land Office during 2-3 hours...

This "shark" just presented him this operation as easier, faster and a lot cheaper than in France when you often have to pay about 10% to a notary (? lawyer) when you buy a not-new apartment or house...

Using a lawyer would have cost it about 10,000 baht for the same result !

This "shark" contacted him 1 year later about some "yearly taxes" that he has to pay... This time he take good advice of friends around who explained to him there was no such tax !

Tony at Magna Carta has been mentioned on the Pattaya forums for many years

and I cannot recall seeing anything but positive comments.

I don't know him and so can't do any comment/advice about him.

I just asked you why you think he is "the best person to contact"...

Many Thai lawyer have good reputation and fair prices here, even on Pattaya forums.

Obviously, having a good Thai lawyer look things over and advise you would be a good thing. However, my concern is that the whole deal seems kind of flaky. What makes you so sure you can trust the falang owner? What are your remedies if he refuses to transfer the title after you've paid? What if he sells to someone else after you've paid most of the money? And finally, if you can't come up with 220,000 baht, should you even be thinking of buying a place? I'd figure out a way to borrow the money back home if need be, then buy the condo outright. Forget the contract sale plan.

I don't know him and so can't do any comment/advice about him.

I just asked you why you think he is "the best person to contact"...

Many Thai lawyer have good reputation and fair prices here, even on Pattaya forums.

Actually, you didn't ask me: I just chose to comment.

Getting an attorney to look over your documentation is sound advice. I don't know him, but I would consider talking to the man that you have two recommendations for. Attorneys are usually so crappy that few people recommend them to friends and acquaintances. That one sounds like he has a couple of happy clients. It's worth looking into.

money.jpg

Edited by lovedog100
The best ? Why ?? Your friend ? Yourself ? :devil

The phrase talking through your arse comes to mind when I read your post ... questions are well put but the tone is off

1. the best .... why do I consider him to be the best because of my personal experience and recommendations from others

2. why .... because he is a brit, and works for a Thai law firm staffed with Thai attorneys and my direct experince of good service

3. my friend ... not at all only met him professionally

4. worst sharks etc ... yes I understand the comment but there are also genuine people in Pattaya and Tony is one of them

Edited by som nam na
In Thailand, getting yourself a lawyer is not all it is cracked up to be.

Learning from the mistakes of others, in forums, does have benefits...

Wanna hear some Thai lawyer stories...... :clueless

No

Yes of course learning from other peoples mistakes has benefits, but that's not to say me or you will do it ant different than the guy who made the mistake. At least with a lawyer you have a chance of not losing your shirt

And there are bad professionals in every walk of life and in every country not just Thailand

No

Yes of course learning from other peoples mistakes has benefits, but that's not to say me or you will do it ant different than the guy who made the mistake. At least with a lawyer you have a chance of not losing your shirt

And there are bad professionals in every walk of life and in every country not just Thailand

There are people hawking law services in Thailand who do not have the qualifications.

And if someone itterates bad experiences to me, it is to say I will go elsewhere! I would do it different or with a different outfit.

At least with a lawyer you have a chance of not losing your shirt
This is a nonsensical statement...... :clueless

If you have a problem or are cheated by a lawyer here, who do you go to? Try it.......

Edited by jacko
There are people hawking law services in Thailand who do not have the qualifications.

And if someone itterates bad experiences to me, it is to say I will go elsewhere! I would do it different or with a different outfit.

This is a nonsensical statement...... :clueless

If you have a problem or are cheated by a lawyer here, who do you go to? Try it.......

Its stands to reason that you have a better chance of not getting ripped off in Thailand if you use a lawyer than if you dont use one unless you are claiming that every lawyer in Thailand is unprofessional, no?

Try Scott McKenzie, a good friend of mine works there who I would trust as much as any lawyer in Thailand

There are people all over the world claiming they have qualifications and are lying, you do that in Thailand you go to the monkey house, end of, its happened recently with some English teachers

Its stands to reason that you have a better chance of not getting ripped off in Thailand if you use a lawyer than if you dont use one unless you are claiming that every lawyer in Thailand is unprofessional, no?

Try Scott McKenzie, a good friend of mine works there who I would trust as much as any lawyer in Thailand

There are people all over the world claiming they have qualifications and are lying, you do that in Thailand you go to the monkey house, end of, its happened recently with some English teachers

Are you referring to McKenzie, Smith and Law.....?

No thanks, a friend's experience has put me off them!

Are you referring to McKenzie, Smith and Law.....?

No thanks, a friend's experience has put me off them!

They got my mate a bunch of severance pay last year from a Thai company and have litigated in a few of my mates investments and all I hear is high praise for them

They got my mate a bunch of severance pay last year from a Thai company and have litigated in a few of my mates investments and all I hear is high praise for them

I suppose 'mileage may vary'.. and I am glad to hear that they did well for you.

They did a presentation at 'The Expats Club' when they first came to town.....

I prefer not to detail 'my friend's experiences'.... but I have taken them to heart, so in that respect I will do things differently.

A neighbour was robbed blind by his lawyer (not MSL!) over work permit needs, and discovered he had contributed to the guys new Merc.. The guy refused to return his passport until he handed over many thousands of baht, the police were not interested :clueless

When he went elsewhere and tried to sue, they 'closed ranks'.... who you know came into play.

Lawyers have a poor reputation worldwide, as many a divorced man will tell you, but I would trust them less here than in my homeland.

As such, I will take heed of recommendations on this board, from long standing posters who, despite having crossed keyboards with, have exhibited integrity and experience. I am afraid I do not know you, did you fly under any previous handles here?

Edited by jacko
Lawyers have a poor reputation worldwide, as many a divorced man will tell you, but I would trust them less here than in my homeland.

But that is the law of the land, usually.

If a lawyer takes half or more off a bloke in a divorce case, he is only a bad lawyer in the eyes of 50% of people.