Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 500 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

With a few hours to spare at Swampy a few weeks ago, I started looking more closely at the departures board. I realised my knowledge of geography needs to be brought into the modern world as there were a lot of destinations I had never heard of. My guess was that these places were in Russia, but I jotted down their names to check later.

* Nordwind flights to Kazan, Novosibirsk and Omsk

* Orenair flight to Magnitogorsk (via Lahore)

* Transaero flights to Yekaterinburg and Ufa

* Utair flights to Yekaterinburg and Dushanbe (ex-USSR rather than Russia)

The main point of this post is to say that I find it fascinating to realise exactly how extensive the Russian invasion of LOS has become: they are flying in from all over that huge country, not just from Moscow and St Petersburg.

If anyone is interested in those places, here are some brief (edited) quotes from Wikipedia:

Kazan is the capital city of the Republic of Tatarstan, Russia. With a population of 1,105,000 (2002), it is the eighth most populous city of Russia. Kazan lies at the confluence of the Volga and Kazanka Rivers in European Russia.

Novosibirsk is Russia's third-largest city, after Moscow and Saint Petersburg, and the largest city of Siberia, with a population of 1.4 million (2010).

Omsk is a Russian city located in southwestern Siberia; it is the administrative center of Omsk Oblast. It is Russia's second-largest city east of the Ural Mountains, and 8th by size nationally.

Magnitogorsk is a mining and industrial city located by the Ural River in Chelyabinsk Oblast, Russia. Geographically it lies on the eastern (Siberian) side of the extreme southern extent of the Ural Mountains. Population: 418,545 (2002 Census).

Yekaterinburg is a major city in the central part of Russia, the administrative center of Sverdlovsk Oblast. Situated on the eastern side of the Ural mountain range, it is the main industrial and cultural center of the Urals Federal District with a population of 1,350,136, making it Russia's fourth largest city.

Ufa is the capital city of the Republic of Bashkortostan, Russia. Ufa is the industrial, economic, scientific and cultural center of the republic. With a population of 1,071,600 (2010 est.), Ufa is one of the largest cities in Russia.

Dushanbe, population 679,400 people (2008 est.), is the capital and largest city of Tajikistan. Situated on the confluence of two rivers, Varzob and Kofarnihon, Dushanbe is the capital of Tajikistan.

Edited by Bazle

I read another post that said some parts of russia are only six hours flying time from U tapao and they come direct to pattaya airport.

Interesting. Not the Moscow elites as we might have thought but people from provincial cities in the interior. Yekaterinburg is where they took the Czar and his family to be bumped off.

Edited by JohnnyK
Interesting. Not the Moscow elites as we might have thought but people from provincial cities in the interior. Yekaterinburg is where they took the Czar and his family to be bumped off.

I'm sure they're coming in from Moscow as well. I noted just the places I had not heard of before.

I was in Birmingham airport last week collecting the wife off the plane from Dubai,

(that is Birmingham UK for our Atlantic friends).

I saw an incoming flight from a place that I did not immediately recognise, and I am fairly well travelled.

The flight was direct from Asgabat, which is Turkmenistan.

So there are people travellling all over now.

Just wait until they waive the visa requirements for the Chinese (mooted), that will be an influx everywhere.

Crobe

I was in Birmingham airport last week collecting the wife off the plane from Dubai,

(that is Birmingham UK for our Atlantic friends).

I saw an incoming flight from a place that I did not immediately recognise, and I am fairly well travelled.

The flight was direct from Asgabat, which is Turkmenistan.

So there are people travellling all over now.

Just wait until they waive the visa requirements for the Chinese (mooted), that will be an influx everywhere.

Crobe

Our next door neighbors are a young Russian couple with a young son and our two families get along like a house on fire. It took a while to break the ice, but my Thai woman with her outgoing personality and her killer smile won them over big time. There is nothing wrong with Russians or the majority of Farangs from other countries who happen to live here.

There is nothing wrong with Russians or the majority of Farangs from other countries who happen to live here.

I quite agree, my post was not against people coming at all, just to comment that people are coming from many more places than before.

While I was living with my Thai wife in England, most of our friends were from the expat community, or were married with Thais - we were lucky to be in Bath which is very international.

At a dinner at our place one Saturday evening I counted 10 different nationalities - and I think this enriches the UK no end -it is just when you get a sudden influx of people from one country inhabiting one area of a town that it is seen as a problem.

I find there are less differences between the nationalities when they travel abroad, than between the people in a country that have travelled and those that have not.

Crobe