Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Murray v Federer - Wimbledon Final

With my tipping record, I thought I'd help Andy along a bit - so, I'll go for Federer in 4 sets.

What about you guys? Winner and number of sets.

As an aside, who's the guy in the hat? It's been bugging me.

Edited by CheshireTom

As an aside, who's the guy in the hat? It's been bugging me.

Hi,

He is kinda a meeter and greeter for Wimbledon. I hope Andy wins and becomes the first Englishman :bhappy to win it for nearly 80 years.

As an aside.......Well done Andy. His, 'anyone but England'.... 'aside'..... is forgotten (almost)! It was a great semi and I hope both players do themselves justice and play to the best of their ability........ As much as I like Federer, I'm hoping the saturnine, surly, canny Scot pulls off a historic victory.

Ay'ell be watchin we'r ma wee bern!

He is kinda a meeter and greeter for Wimbledon. I hope Andy wins and becomes the first Englishman :bhappy to win it for nearly 80 years.

Didn't Ginny Wade win a few years ago?

Edited by CheshireTom

I will put the mocker on Roger and back him to win in straight sets. So far he has been just too good in this tournament. I would like to see Andy pull it off though, for the glory of Great Britain. :smile:

Hi,

I agree. It would be great for England and the sport of tennis.

Wasn't 'he' from Rhodesia?

Could be a historic family achievement. Jonathan Murray just won the men's doubles!!

And if the Scottish Herald can claim that, 'Scotland found the God particle' even though Higgs is an Englishman and Stella can turn the union flag to a salter blue and white, I shan't correct anyone who thinks Scotland and England are the same country.

One thing's for sure, Murray will 'sporan' a much bigger pay-check than Fred Perry who got five pounds!

Edited by atlas2

Wasn't 'he' from Rhodesia?

Eastbourne, but lived in S. Africa for a while - apparently. I was never keen on her - Ann Jones and Sue Barker were more up my street.

Could be a historic family achievement. Jonathan Murray just won the men's doubles!!

I think it was some geezer called Marray, not Murray. To be truthful, I'd never heard of the guy either until this last week. :ninja:

And if the Scottish Herald can claim that, 'Scotland found the God particle' even though Higgs is an Englishman and Stella can turn the union flag to a salter blue and white, I shan't correct anyone who thinks Scotland and England are the same country.

Are they in the mixed doubles, or something? :clueless

Unfortunately, my hard-earned cash is already on K. Thongchai in the French Open Golf, so it will be a bit of channel hopping on Astro for me tonight.

Sheesh! I've just realised that both the Tour de France and the British GP are also on the box at the same time - I'll have to phone out for a pizza and massage at this rate. Looks like I'll be rooting for Lewis Hamilton (obviously a Jock) and Bradley McWiggens ... :blush:

Edited by CheshireTom

I agree. It would be great for England and the sport of tennis.

Why would it? He's a jock. I hope he loses.

• Upvote 1

well said. I thought I was on my own with that. I wonder how many jocks were supporting Tim Henman in his day ?

In my experience the average Scottish person hates to see the English do well at any sporting event and certainly wouldn't support the English in a competition they were no longer competing in. I find it hard to forgive him for what he said about the England football team in 2006 too. All these middle class types that will do anything to have a "British" champion they'll jump on his band wagon really get my goat, the ones that sit on "loser" hill are the worst.

If Murray does finally end up winning it you can bet that he'll say he did if for Scotland. We should concentrate on having our own real champion by making tennis more appealing to the masses. Then we wouldn't have to follow someone who is "British." I must admit I did feel a bit sorry for him at the end when he struggled to compose himself for the post match interview and started crying, he couldn't even get his words out. It's obvious how much it means to him so maybe it's inevitable that one day he'll win it.

That was the best bit :llaugh

If he's British, what happened to the stiff upper lip? :D

• Upvote 1

From Justin Harris on Facebook:

One set to nil up - Best British player ever

One set all - British spirit

Two sets to one down - Scottish determination

Lost - Scottish cunt

Just reporting what I have seen :P

Before that final Id admit to being a bit anti-Murray. The final however was the acid test. I like Federer and would support him against anyone..... except it turned out....Murray. I wanted Murray to win very badly by the end. Couldn't help myself. I know a lot of what Sam says is true of the Scots and how they feel about England and it's obviously the same with the English. Pity.

Anyhow Murray has gained an English supporter.

Anyhow Murray has gained an English supporter.

I'm sure he's chuffed. I must admit that Anne Viensouk Keothavong is the only ranked tennis player I know who is English born and bred, but I'll have no problem cheering her on in the Olympics. Just like Bradley et al in the bike race and Lee Westwood and Ian Poulter in the golf. :thumbup

The good news for Sam is Montgomerie missed qualifying! :llaugh

Edited by CheshireTom

I'm sure he's chuffed.

As your ' put down 'puts over so well winning over one biased Englishman holds little importance to a Scot of Murray's stature. Hopefully the new page one editorial respect he's been given this morning will have a chuffing effect.

Edited by atlas2

As your ' put down 'puts over so well winning over one biased Englishman holds little importance to a Scot of Murray's stature. Hopefully the new page one editorial respect he's been given this morning will have a chuffing effect.

It wasn't a put down, you just took it as such. :thumbup You already said you were "a bit anti-Murray" ... but, why? What has he ever done to upset you? Or Sam? :clueless He's a tennis player for God's sake!

Credit for the good threadfuck though. :dbh It would be good if we could discuss sport in the Sports Section, and the associated politics in the Politics and Religion Section, don't you think?

Edited by CheshireTom

Hi,

She's a lady I believe. Well done for getting it right. Too many Monday morning QB's around.

It wasn't a put down, you just took it as such. :thumbup You already said you were "a bit anti-Murray" ... but, why? What has he ever done to upset you? Or Sam? :clueless He's a tennis player for God's sake!

Credit for the good threadfuck though. :dbh

You know Tom I did take it as a 'put down'! I can see now I was being a bit over-sensitive. You were just being ironic. You were being funny and it was a joke. "Doh" You're right of course, 'atlas and his famous lack of a sense of humour'. A bit like when I took Murray's support for "anyone but England" in the last World Cup seriously. He explained, (after all the negative coverage), that there was no need to dispute he'd said it ....... because it was all, 'just a joke' for god's sake. Couldn't everyone see ....... He loves England......and the English. His coaches, girlfriend and a quarter of his family are English. He was joking. How could we have ever thought he was being serious?

A bit like that comment describing his opponent and himself as, 'playing like a couple of women'. After he was roundly booed, he explained it was just a joke you see! A joke based on the number of dropped service games in the match. Nothing more. In fact he was merely quoting a woman player who'd described a similar match that way herself.

.....Anti women??.....His mother is a woman fer christsake.... and so's his girlfriend. A lot of the people he knows are women. All the women he's shagged are ....women. How could he have any negative thoughts about the standard of women's tennis?

Well it all makes sense to me now that I know both of you were joking.

When I said I was a bit anti Murray I wasn't joking .....But actually now I can see that really I was. Ha ha....Admit it you thought I was serious. Well there you go! The shoe's on the other foot now eh?

I love Murray and always have done...Don't take anything I said in joke seriously

OK now that's all been explained.

Andy Murray is the best Scottish and British men's Tennis player to ever play the game. 'Chuffed by it' or not, he'll get the credit for that from me in future. He has my unequivocal, 100% support against anyone, (Unless he's playing an Englishman with a chance.....unlikely). I've learnt that now that I came down on his side against my favourite player. That was the point of my post, not to threadphuck it!

I hope and believe he can move up a couple of notches and rule the men's game. The support he's just won from a lot of people must help.

......just joking!

• Upvote 1