Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

More about burgers

After reading about someone's favorite burger I thought I would posy my own Pattaya favorite. It is a somewhat unlikely spot - an English-style place, the Pig and Whistle on Soi 7.

I try to get out there at least once every visit, though I save my visits for occasions when I know I can put away some serious food. Eating one is more than a lunch or dinner, it is a feat.

It probably does not match everyone's view of what a burger should be. For one thing it does not have cheese, and good riddance I say. For me a burger should be pretty basic - starting with a serious hunk of cow so that cooks cannot dry it out easily. A bit of tomato and some onions are all I look for, though American style calls for uncooked onions and not fried ones like this one.

The fries that come with it have gone mainstream over the years - last night they served the skinny fries common in American fast food places, and not the fat ones they used to. It should not matter too much, because it is best to stay away from eating too many when faced with a burger this size.

It costs a little over 200 baht, so, depending on your choice of drink, you should be out of there in under 300.

I haven't tried their burgers, but I do like the thick cut fries as opposed to the thinner ones we get here in the states..

I enjoy a good burger, so will give this one a try when I get back at the end of December..

I like a slice of tomato, a few pickles, sliced red onion, and a good piece of cheddar cheese. If a different cheese is offered, I would rather go without.

• Upvote 1

Yes. It is not cheap by Pattaya standards. But then this is not a take and drive burger. It's a meal, and a pretty big one.

Barfine the waitress? I dont know. But a bar is attached so it should be possible to barfine someone.

• 3 weeks later...

Were you "forced" to sit by the window in those god awful bench seats??

I have forgotten what the sign says on the big table...Is it seating for 6 only???? Anyway, they would rather split up a group of 5 people and " force" them to sit by the window on separate tables not even next to each other and leave the big table free in case a group of 6 turned up....

I am also embarrassed to say that a girl was sacked there for having the audacious attitude of trying to provide a good service to me by showing the content of their wine fridge....

I have since posted good things about their food but the ownership sucks big time!!

So, these days, where is the best burger available in Pattaya? To me that is thick juicy, red/pink in the middle, cooked onions, fresh bun and without lettuce and tomato. Good fries are a bonus.

Edited by kosman

So, these days, where is the best burger available in Pattaya? To me that is thick juicy, red/pink in the middle, cooked onions, fresh bun and without lettuce and tomato. Good fries are a bonus.

For me PBG.....Don't know anywhere else better..

I've more or less given up on eating hamburgers in Thailand. Not that I haven't tried. For whatever reason, the meat always tastes "funny." I've said this before and everyone says it's just the type of beef available in Thailand. Maybe the cows have a different diet?

I still remember the first time I ever tried a burger in Thailand, at the old Woodstock Bar in Nana Plaza. It had the strangest taste. Anyway, I've tried other places from time to time with similar results.

I've more or less given up on eating hamburgers in Thailand. Not that I haven't tried. For whatever reason, the meat always tastes "funny." I've said this before and everyone says it's just the type of beef available in Thailand. Maybe the cows have a different diet?

Not seeing too many corn fields in rural Thailand, the beef cattle almost certainly have a different diet. Closely related, but I also suspect the beef is leaner, i.e., has a lower fat content, which affects flavor. The food nazis will tell you lean meat is much better for you, but if I'm eating a hamburger, it's not because I am looking for health food.

$10 for a burger, fry and drink is expensive. Can you barfine the waitress?

Can you in McDonalds at home?

I still remember the first time I ever tried a burger in Thailand, at the old Woodstock Bar in Nana Plaza. It had the strangest taste. Anyway, I've tried other places from time to time with similar results.

Most burgers I had in the USA there was so much other shit in there I couldn't taste the meat! :D

Most burgers I had in the USA there was so much other shit in there I couldn't taste the meat! :D

I try to keep an open mind about it. As far as other stuff being in the USA burgers? It depends. I can go to the store and buy ground chuck, ground sirloin, or whatever. They don't put anything into it. When making burgers, I can do it however I want. Just the meat, or, I can add bread crumbs, cheese, onions, or whatever.

For all I know in Thailand, I'm eating Cocker Spaniel or the neighborhood cat. The local meat just seems strange.

I had a burger in Simons Fish and Chips in Jomtien last and it was a jaw dropper, the best burger I have ever had in Thailand and one of the best ever ever.

It was huge, fresh and the meat was most but well cooked.

My friend had the fish and chips, said it was very good too

cheers to Simon

I try to keep an open mind about it. As far as other stuff being in the USA burgers? It depends. I can go to the store and buy ground chuck, ground sirloin, or whatever. They don't put anything into it. When making burgers, I can do it however I want. Just the meat, or, I can add bread crumbs, cheese, onions, or whatever.

For all I know in Thailand, I'm eating Cocker Spaniel or the neighborhood cat. The local meat just seems strange.

Well I was thinking more along the lines of pickles, relish, cheese, ketchup and the likes. I appreciate that minced beef in the USA is good stuff ground up, rather than how it is in the UK..... often fat and trimmings get tossed in. Likely the local meat is fed differently, although the odd burger I have had here I haven't had an issue....I liberally add Lea and Perrins! :D

Those roasted chickens they sell on the roadside taste odd too. Must let them loose on garbage dumps or something. Scrawny as fuck. More meat on a sparrow. Do they have sparrows in LOS? Don't recall seeing any birds in Pattaya. Go to the beach and look up, where's all the fucking birds?

• 1 month later...

I like the Aussie Burger Stand, corner of Soi Diana and Soi Bukao, across from Subway on Soi Diana. Good stuff and about 150 baht.

The best burger used to be at Premiership Restaurant, just across and down a bit from where Aussie Burger is today. Too bad they went out of business.

Those roasted chickens they sell on the roadside taste odd too. Must let them loose on garbage dumps or something. Scrawny as fuck. More meat on a sparrow. Do they have sparrows in LOS? Don't recall seeing any birds in Pattaya. Go to the beach and look up, where's all the fucking birds?

Pattaya Nua by the Dolphin roundabout in the trees. they make a hell of a racket!!

KM

Pattaya Nua by the Dolphin roundabout in the trees. they make a hell of a racket!!

KM

The big tree on Walking Street fills up with birds around sunset. Watch for falling objects.

Well I was thinking more along the lines of pickles, relish, cheese, ketchup and the likes. I appreciate that minced beef in the USA is good stuff ground up, rather than how it is in the UK..... often fat and trimmings get tossed in. Likely the local meat is fed differently, although the odd burger I have had here I haven't had an issue....I liberally add Lea and Perrins! :D

Some while ago I was travelling through the UK and stopped in a B & B near the Scots Border. I was eating my breakfast and the owner asked where we had eaten the night before. We told he Witherspoons and she replied " Well better than Mc Donalds because all the meat in the hamburgers is cows lips and noses". Hate to say it but that memory has never left and the breakfast lost its taste!

The big tree on Walking Street fills up with birds around sunset. Watch for falling objects.

I walked under there once and was 3 inches taller when I came out!

HI.

Most of the meat imported into Thailand is brahman, usually from australia.

Leaner and tougher than colder climate cattle.

Also, most of the "meat" you eat in Thailand is buffalo - leaner and gamier than beef cattle.

Most of the beef raised in thailand will be brahman or buffalo.

Hard to find a bos taurus breed as it is too hot for them in thailand.

I like the Aussie Burger Stand, corner of Soi Diana and Soi Bukao, across from Subway on Soi Diana. Good stuff and about 150 baht.

Had one of their burgers last month. Tasted OK, but it really cleaned out my lower GI... Kept cleaning for about a day & a half!

Edited by tomcat76

Had one of their burgers last month. Tasted OK, but it really cleaned out my lower GI... Kept cleaning for about a day & a half!

I gave up on those. Way too greasy. Australian beef they reckon. They can keep it.

Has anybody tried the Pie Man that scoots about everywhere? Steak and Potato pies, Cornish Pasties, etc. Delicious. Got a pitch on Soi 7 or 8, can't remember which soi and also just along from WW Agogo on Beach Road. Top munch for Pissheads, lol.