Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Yes, multiple beaches. IIRC more mongering options around Cheawang and Lamai, but have seen various bars in other locations. Wil be having a further look see in the future.

Decent is very subjective too, once my limited requirements have been met, I'm rarely motivated to pay extra just for a prettier room.

Edited by s77656769

I'm not really to particular which beach. Last time (10 years ago) I stayed on Lamai beach and liked it because it was quiet (not may beach vendors). I will have someone with me and a scooter so close to bars is not my biggest consideration. I would like a pool. Up to $75.00 a night would be good. By decent I mean clean, good bed and good A/C. The Residence Gardens in Pattaya is decent. Just an aside, I am a diamond Hilton member, and I see they have a Conrad on Samui it is only $1,000.00 A NIGHT. I have 400,000 points and can only get one night damn. I am going to Phuket after and can get 10 nights at the big Hilton resort there.

Be advised that the Phuket Hilton resort is a short tuk tuk ride away from a small bar are and a long taxi ride to Patong. Stayed there in 2004 and it was only 10000 hilton points a night. They wouldn't let you stay more than 6 nights in a row.

I stayed there before, it was a good deal. I walked to that small town to eat and such. I don't have any real interest in Patong so the taxi ride is no big deal. Last time I never went into Patong. I stayed in Patong the trip before. It is 30,000 points a night now. I figure staying in a great hotel for free I can afford some taxi fares if I want.

On this trip I plan to take the girl I met in Pattaya on my August trip. Should be fun, I think. She doesn't drink so we will not be going to many bars. So long as we can find food and a beach I think we will have fun.

Off limits??? Can you explain? Why would a beach ever be off limits?

Presumably because it's the rainy season on the Andaman coast. Because the sea can be extremely volatile they raise flags to warn against swimming etc.

Presumably because it's the rainy season on the Andaman coast. Because the sea can be extremely volatile they raise flags to warn against swimming etc.

So the ocean is off limits, I get that but one could use the beach. And by this time of year, he means now not January when I plan to be there.

In fact I have been to northern Australia. Again, I know you can't always swim but you could lay on the beach.

• 4 weeks later...

I always stay at Chaweng Beach Resort when in Samui. It is in the southern part of Chaweng near Chaweng Noi. Nice quiet place 2500 for big bungalow and 15 minute walk to all the action. 077 422 230

Marina Beach resort is good value for money in Lamai, it is on the beach, nice bungalows and no problems with bringing a lady or two back.

I last stayed on Samui about 4 years ago so I cannot give a current update.