Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Flying to Chiang Mai, from UK where do I clear immigration?¬

Well Ive been going to Thailand for over 30 years now. Always flown into Bangkok (obviousy!) Then got out of airport and got a taxi to either Bangkok or to Pattaya. Next time however. Im getting the noon flight from London, arrive in Bangkok next morning. Then getting a connecting flight to Chiang Mai (both flights are on Thai Airways).

SO! Do I clear immigration and customs in Bangkok or in Chiang Mai? Has anybody (from U.K.) done this recently please? Many thanks in advance

On my last trip I was going to Phuket, I flew with EVA to BkK and Bangkok air to HKT.

At LHR I got EVA to check my bag through to HKT and then when you get to BKK you can use the through system to local flights where you can clear customs in this process.

This all depends on which airline's you are using as they do not all allow check through, so you will have to clear customs in the normal way and collect your bag and then recheck in for the local flight.

SO! Do I clear immigration and customs in Bangkok or in Chiang Mai? Has anybody (from U.K.) done this recently please? Many thanks in advance

You clear immigration in Bangkok and customs in Chiang Mai - assuming you're booked on a through ticket.

Edited by CheshireTom

You clear immigration in Bangkok and customs in Chiang Mai - assuming you're booked on a through ticket.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-10-07 at 01.44.14.png

Interesting, I have never seen immigrations cleared in a different location from customs. I can't figure out how they would know in Chiangmai that you didn't clear customs in BKK as some people would only fly the BKK/Chiangmai leg and not need to clear customs.

Interesting, I have never seen immigrations cleared in a different location from customs. I can't figure out how they would know in Chiangmai that you didn't clear customs in BKK as some people would only fly the BKK/Chiangmai leg and not need to clear customs.

They do it in London.

They know which bags need to be cleared.... they will be tagged differently, allthough in the UK I don't recall ever having being pulled over at Manchester after the shuttle up from London.

Actually I always thought the USA was screwy the way I had to clear customs and immigration there, despite the fact I was flying on to South America.

Edited by jacko

It's no different from the process at Heathrow if I fly back to Manchester on a through ticket. You clear immigration in London and collect your bags in Manchester. The computer system will tell customs who has travelled on a through ticket and the baggage tag should show the final destination and intermediate connections. Presumably folk have to clear customs at the point of entry in the US?

At the point of entry in the USA you must clear both immigration and customs. There is a location right after customs to send the bags onto the next stop.

Or not, as the case may be when incorrectly informed at boarding in the UK.

I also believe perhaps Miami does things differently.

OK! Many thanks for the replies guys. Sounds logical enough to me ............but I wanted to check! It would have been nice to not go through the "immigration queues nightmare" that is Bangkok though! Thanks again all.

Or not, as the case may be when incorrectly informed at boarding in the UK.

I also believe perhaps Miami does things differently.

Not sure Jacko, I have entered the USA through Miami but always headed to a US destination. I would not have thought you would need to clear either, maybe just go through the TSA check. Who knows not much makes a lot of sense in this part of the globe.

OK! Many thanks for the replies guys. Sounds logical enough to me ............but I wanted to check! It would have been nice to not go through the "immigration queues nightmare" that is Bangkok though! Thanks again all.

I've done it. Give yourself plenty of time to clear and get to the gate in BKK. If I remember correctly it was a long friggen hike.

Even flying the same airline from CNX - BKK - another country, it was a mess. The airline rep ended up letting us up to the front of the line to get out. The lager louts stuck in line nearly rioted, no joke! :flames:

Have fun!

Edited by Sailfast

A few years ago I went from LHR to Chiang Rai, probably Eva Air and Thai, at Chiang Rai the international passengers baggage came on a seperate belt to domestic and already checked baggage.

A few years ago I went from LHR to Chiang Rai, probably Eva Air and Thai, at Chiang Rai the international passengers baggage came on a seperate belt to domestic and already checked baggage.

That has happened twice when flying to Phuket

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies! Just to say, I booked my ticket today on Thai Airways! I paid £660 that's from Heathrow to Chiang Mai.

Sure, I could have got a cheaper flight.............I prefer Thais departure times to Evas. So for me, as I like to fly direct it was the best option. The add on to Chiang Mai was only 20 odd quid again on Thai Airways...so it was a no brainer!

I like to arrive in Bangkok in the morning.....and arrive in London in Morning or at latest early afternoon time.

As I say, I could have got a flight to Bangkok for under £500....BUT!! The flight times for me (plus they weren't direct flights) made the Thai flight ideal for me!..........so just 3 more months to go!

p.s. On my ticket details (and on Thais web site) it says the flight to Chiang Mai (08.00) is on a 747?! So it all looks good so far!