Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

int national driving permits

does anyone know about international driving permits

i was stopped today on my bike and was fined for not having this permit

i have checked online and it states you do not need one if you are a tourist

this is what i download from the web so it looks like another scam from the

pattaya police

POLICE

If you are stopped by the Thai Police for any reason, stay calm, and be respectful.

If you have been obeying the road rules, are not intoxicated, and hold the proper documentation, you will have NO problem and will be sent on your way.

INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT

According to the UN Traffic Act of 1949 and the Thai Traffic Act of 1979, an IDP is not required if you are a tourist/visitor in Thailand as long as your license is in English, has a photo, and your country is a contracting state of the 1949 treaty, which most are. (See motoring law below) If you are a resident, however, you require a Thai drivers license. As a tourist, rental car companies, insurance companies and police will all accept your home license.

I purchase a new IDP each year. Here you can get them my mail from AAA (American Automobile Association) which is an auto insurance company. Two passport type passport photos, copy of my US drivers license front and back,application printed from their website and of course $20. My US drivers license is for both auto and motorcycle, so the IDP is also good for both.

Just like the OP stated, I don't think you really need one by law, but the few times I have been stopped (road blocks) they have ask for it. Once on a motorbike and 3 times in a car. After they looked at all the papers, I was free to go. The little extra effort to obtain one each year, is well worth not having to hassel with the BIB. One time being pulled over in the car, I first just showed my US drivers license and got the same thing, "you must have a International Drivers License", thats when I pulled out the IDP and his hopes of a little extra beer money for the night vanished.

LDK, I think being there on a retirement visa would sorta make you a resident.

LeoTex

Hmm. I wonder what the requirement is for people on a retirement visa?

Probably a Thai licence.

Not sure what country the OP is from but I believe an IDP is required.

“You need to have either an international driver’s license or a Thai driver’s license to drive legally in Thailand. If you have neither, you are subject to a 1,000 baht fine" Of course it must cover a motorcycle too.

You paid the policeman I am guessing.

The only difference between the UK and USA International driving licence (IDP) is that USA licence costs a little more.

$20 against £5.50 They are almost identical page for page as i was comparing my UK with an Amercian friend only the other day.

Before getting my Thai licences producing the IDP at many checkpoints was sufficient to get waived on without having to grease their palm with silver...

Hmm. I wonder what the requirement is for people on a retirement visa?

If you stay longer, than 3 months a thai license ...

Looks like the quoted requirement come from this site :

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thailand:Driving.License.Requirements.html

The same page shows that too:

LICENCES and PERMITS

To ride a motorcycle in Thailand, and remain strictly within the law, you must possess and produce:

• A national motorcycle drivers licence issued in your home country, valid for a motorcycle AND,
  • An International Driving Permit. *NB - Some members believe your home licence in English with a photo satisfies Thai law. In the end it is "up to you".
  • The maximum period that you can drive a hire car or bike legally on an IDP is 60 days. For rentals in excess of that a Thai Driver's Licence is required. To obtain a Thai drivers license requires a formal in-person application, as well as hold and be admitted to Thailand on a non-immigrant visa status. This link to the the Department of Land Transportation website explains the procedure.

So yes, better to get an IDP even with a license in English

The quote above says 60 days max but the documentation I got with my IDP says "3 months max" for Thailand, as Gabord just post it.

I've been stopped a few times when out on a bike. Each time I show my IDP and colour photocopies of my passport and UK driving licence. Everytime I've showed them I've been pretty much been waved on.

One time I was stopped and they were happy with all my docs, but an english speaking tourist police came over and advised me that I needed to make sure the bike tax disc was up to date (which it was) if I was renting, but no problems at that time.

Another time I was stopped on Beach Road. The copper was obviously looking for a pay out, but when he saw I had all the docs and was wearing a helmet, he just walked off looking very grumpy! :llaugh At the same time there was another farang who had been stopped who didn't have everything they asked for and looked even more pissed off than the copper did!!

Whether you need an IDP or not, for peace of mind I would suggest having one. I'm on holiday to enjoy myself, not spend hours discussing the merits of thai law with a thai copper, who would nearly always have the upper hand!

KM

I'm not really suggesting that this is really a factor, but without an IDP, how is a Thai cop supposed to know that a driver's license from Alaska or Tasmania is a valid document and one from Middle Earth isn't?

Whether you need an IDP or not, for peace of mind I would suggest having one. I'm on holiday to enjoy myself, not spend hours discussing the merits of thai law with a thai copper, who would nearly always have the upper hand!

KM

Not sure where the "hours" would come from unless you continue the discussion yourself.

Very simple and short when I have been stopped..... The cop gives you a ticket you pay it and move on. The times I got stopped it was already filled out ahead of time and all ready for me to pay at the police station. I was very fortunate, since the police station was not near, that there was a motorcyclle taxi nearby. He was willing to take the ticket and fine to the station for me (100 baht tip) and pay the fine while I waited near my bike. A few minutes later, he comes back, I get my keys back and off I go.

• Downvote 1

Not sure where the "hours" would come from unless you continue the discussion yourself.

Very simple and short when I have been stopped..... The cop gives you a ticket you pay it and move on. The times I got stopped it was already filled out ahead of time and all ready for me to pay at the police station. I was very fortunate, since the police station was not near, that there was a motorcyclle taxi nearby. He was willing to take the ticket and fine to the station for me (100 baht tip) and pay the fine while I waited near my bike. A few minutes later, he comes back, I get my keys back and off I go.

God! Why are some people so picky and anal about what is written on these forums?????

If you really wanted me to be absolutely precise on exactly how many minutes I could wait over a holiday period discussing the rights and wrongs of riding a bike in Pattaya with a thai cop, including trips to police stations either myself of by sending someone else, then waiting around for them to come back, then yes, it could add up to hours if stopped often enough or not being anywhere near a police station or a MTB to take me or the fine to the cop shop.

How far is 'not near'? How long is 'a few minutes'? Does it matter? Does it detract from the meaning of the post?

Enough explaining from me to a pedant, as soon I'll be going to work so that I earn some money as soon I'll be travelling to Pattaya. Not precise enough? Tough shit!

KM

• Downvote 1

Enough explaining from me to a pedant, as soon I'll be going to work so that I earn some money as soon I'll be travelling to Pattaya. Not precise enough? Tough shit!

KM

It isn't Monday is it?

No....TGIF.... :clap2: :party :party

It isn't Monday is it?

No....TGIF.... :clap2: :party :party

Another one of your more irrelevent posts from over 23,000. Why do you have the urge to post on every single thread on this site???

KM

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Another one of your more irrelevent posts from over 23,000. Why do you have the urge to post on every single thread on this site???

KM

God! Why are some people so picky and anal about what is written on these forums?????

• Downvote 1

KM

If you really wanted me to be absolutely precise on exactly how many minutes I could wait over a holiday period discussing the rights and wrongs of riding a bike in Pattaya with a thai cop, including trips to police stations either myself of by sending someone else, then waiting around for them to come back, then yes, it could add up to hours if stopped often enough or not being anywhere near a police station or a MTB to take me or the fine to the cop shop.

How far is 'not near'? How long is 'a few minutes'? Does it matter? Does it detract from the meaning of the post?

KM

It was you who posted about spending hours discusiing merits. Not me. For most normal people, pay the fine and get on with your life. Howeve, I really don' t give a shit what you do with your half vast knowkedge....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It was you who posted about spending hours discusiing merits. Not me. For most normal people, pay the fine and get on with your life. Howeve, I really don' t give a shit what you do with your half vast knowkedge....

My! My! Dont we get spiky when prodded!!

you're absolutely right it was me who posted that, however it was you being the pedant about how long is spent discussing the 'merits'. and like you, I dont give a shit about you either.

KM