Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Heathrow Fuel Shortage

I'm due to fly LHR to BKK in a couple of weeks time on Qantas.

Ever since the big fire at Hemmel Hempstead, BAA have been rationing fuel so some of the Qantas flights, including the one I'm flying on, do not get a full load of fuel at Heathrow and have to stop for refueling en-route.

Now I can understand the need for this, although I had hoped that they would have sorted out a deal to buy fuel off, say, British Airways by now. But what seems crazy to me is that they are filling up a 747 with passengers at Heathrow, flying it fifty miles, and landing to refuel at Stanstead.

I can't believe this is the best and cheapest way to do it. Why can't they fill up a tanker or two at Stanstead, drive those over to Heathrow, and refuel fully there. Its long enough sat on the plane without all this fucking around.

Any thoughts as to why they are doing it the way they are?

Hi,

One of the good things about Qantas is it's a direct flight. This is crazy but England is becoming a more bizarre place daily. If you have any money, don't come back !!!

The UK :D

The lunatics have taken over the Asylum :eyecrazy

I notice that the Eva flight and the Tg have been an hour late arriving most nights this week,if they also have to stop in Essex for a refuel they should taxi around the M25 :unsure:

Anyone have any definitive news about which BKK bound aircraft are topping up with gas en-route.

Pity they can't link up with a KC 135.

Hi,

It seems they use the fuel first come first served, so it's the late evening flights which are re-fueling. Dont know when they will be back to normal. Keeping it all fairly quiet in British media, another curse of modern Britian, Spin :clueless The place is falling apart at the seams, but the media say it's all going great. :clap2

Gus asks what Thai are doing about refueling. I posted earlier that my wife's flight (9:35pm out of LHR) stopped in Copenhagen to refuel. It added about 2 hours to the flight. They were on the ground in Copenhagen for nearly 2 hours and did not leave the plane. It arrived just over 2 hours late in Bangkok. See the other post for the impact on my wife's connecting flight.

I am not sure if it applies to all Thai flights from Heathrow. Maybe the ealier flight can get enough fuel. Maybe both daily flights need to refuel.

Someone commented on Emirates and the other middle east airlines that change in Dubai etc. I suspect they may also be hit out of Heathrow, but do not know.

I suggest you call your airline to check if there is a chance of a refueling stop.

I am not sure if it applies to all Thai flights from Heathrow. Maybe the ealier flight can get enough fuel. Maybe both daily flights need to refuel.

Hi,

As I said before it's the later flights seem to suffer(Qantas said it was only their last flight of the day) The only place I've seen anything in the papers is a small piece in the Guardian. Haven't heard anything about it on BBC TV or Radio. There seems to be a culture of keeping it quiet :D , not a good sign for the future if anything very serious happens.

Singapore Airlines has this warning up on their site.

When asked they also said that there were no knock on delays in SE Asia or Australia. Given that some of their flights only stopover for 2 hrs in S/apore enroute to OZ, I'd take this assurance with a grain of salt!

Update on flights departing from London Heathrow Airport to Singapore

11 January 2006

Given ongoing fuel rationing being enforced at London Heathrow Airport following the explosion and fire at Buncefield Fuel Storage facility on 11 December 2005, Singapore Airlines flights from London Heathrow to Singapore are currently operating as follows:

SQ317 (daily departure at 1100hrs) - this flight will fly non-stop from London Heathrow to Singapore

SQ319 (daily departure at 1815hrs) - this flight will fly non-stop from London Heathrow to Singapore on Fridays ONLY. On all other days of the week, the flight will stopover in Frankfurt for refuelling and consequently, will arrive in Singapore at approximately 1640hrs the following day: a delay of 1 hour and 45 minutes

SQ321 (daily departure at 2215 hrs) - this flight will fly non-stop from London Heathrow to Singapore

Singapore Airlines will do all possible to assist customers with connecting flights to make their connections. Customers with very tight connections, or who are in doubt about their connecting flights, should check with their travel agent, or the local Singapore Airlines Reservations Service Centre (in UK, telephone (0870) 6088886).

When normal flight operations resume, a notice will be posted on this website for 72 hours, after which time, notices shall be deleted.

Slightly off topic here but does anyone know what really happened at Hemel Hempstead?

I mean it was major fire and exploson but I have yet to learn what was the cause.

Hi,

Heard on news today there is an inquiry about it. Whether the public ever learns the truth remains to be seen. On the travel updates if a box of bananas falls on the M25 we hear about it, but nothing about all the delays to flights and extra stops. :P

All this discussion about delays make me nervous. I am going out with Eva on Thursday. Does any good samaritan know of a link to Bkk airport that gives an up to date account of plane arrivals and delays expected.?

I am sure I stumbled across a link a few years ago, but I damned if I can find it again. I would like to monitor flight arrivals for the next few days. :P

to Bkk airport that gives an up to date account of plane arrivals and delays expected.?

I am sure I stumbled across a link a few years ago, but I damned if I can find it again. I would like to monitor flight arrivals for the next few days. :P

Growler,

Try this http://www2.airportthai.co.th/html/b-sche-...?type_f=IA&qr=D

be sure to hit the refresh button (or F5) once you have the page.

Been watching myself and not noticed any delays to Eva although Qaint Ass seems to be getting hit.

Bill

(flying from MAN by Emirates next week so watching myself!!)

The Brit press not reporting on something like this could mean that the Government have slapped a 'D' notice on it.

But why would they do that if it was an accident?

Makes you wonder...:chogdee2

Edited by monkeyman
All this discussion about delays make me nervous. I am going out with Eva on Thursday. Does any good samaritan know of a link to Bkk airport that gives an up to date account of plane arrivals and delays expected.?

I am sure I stumbled across a link a few years ago, but I damned if I can find it again. I would like to monitor flight arrivals for the next few days. :chogdee2

growler,

Go to EVA's Home Page and click on 'Flight Status'. Simply choose London and Bangkok as your departure/arrival airports and it brings up the extimated and actual timings for BR68 for the last few days. They appear to have been a couple of minutes late the last couple of days, but nothing drastic.

Tom

Bill/Tom,

Many thanks for the information. They seem to be running to schedule as you say.

:3some

Tom,

My condolences on last Saturday.

growler,

What happened last Saturday? :wanker Don't tell me Alzheimer's is kicking in already! :banana

Tom

Well, good news for me and possibly others flying on qantas.

According to the qantas website, this week the QF002 is only stopping to refuel on Monday to Wednesday departures. Thursday to Sunday departures are now going direct.

An extra 90 minutes in LOS, now what can I do with that time.............?

I just checked and the Qantas QF002 was 90 minutes late arriving BKK today.

I know LHR cut fuel allowances back to airlines by 30%, up to the airline how they worked it.

Some airlines gave most flights normal allowance and the last flight had to re-fuel en route.

Do any of you guys get nervous when the aircraft is over flying Afghanistan? When I see Kabul come up on the Skymap I start looking for a surface to air missile coming my way :beer

Hopefully, having a big green plane and not one with a great big Union Jack on the tail helps with that.

Do any of you guys get nervous when the aircraft is over flying Afghanistan? When I see Kabul come up on the Skymap I start looking for a surface to air missile coming my way

Hi,

I think they are flying too high for those things. But those mountains look beautiful but god-forsaken. What type of people can live in such a hostile environment? :clueless

growler,

What happened last Saturday? :clueless Don't tell me Alzheimer's is kicking in already! :beer

Tom

Tom,

I thought you might have been suffering temporary heartfelt depression on Saturday. Am I confused? Definitely. Now where did I put those goddam pills? :bj2

growler,

What did I do to deserve that? :beer I am depressed at the mere suggestion ............. :bj2

A member of the Roman legions through and through. That said, I probably am still getting over 1986 ...... it was hard to stomach! :clueless

Tom

Hmm , well, anyway, I think it is the evening flights TG917/ BR068 that may be diverting for fuel. My mate went on TG911 yesterday direct. I am going for the same flight next Thursday.