Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

BKK to Pattaya or vice versa

See so many advertisements for 800 baht all-in. Took this option last time and excpet for the fact the driver spoke no english whatsoever I had no problems. Sure, the car smelled like a flyling gas can and I had a hard time explaining I needed to stop for food (but I did manage to communicat this), but the trip was otherwise very successful. Had a printout in THAI language of exactlty where I needed to go at the airport and had no problem.

Question? Why pay 1500B for the same service? Does anyone have BAD EXPERIENCES? If so, what are they? why not take the 800 vs 1500 ride?

If I am going to the airport I NEVER use these taxis!!

They are flagged down as they enter Patts or hang around waiting for a fare.

1. There is no guarantee that even though you have paid the stall holder that they will get a taxi at the right time for your flight ( if at all).

2. There is no guarantee on the state of the driver. He could be pissed up after an overnight wait in Patts or could be tired after having just driven down from BKK also having driven all day around BKK.This has happened to me and we nearly crashed several times.

3. There is no guarantee on the state of the car. I have had one trip with no aircon. I have had one trip where there was no fuel in the car before leaving and we were already late for my flight. Haven't you ever seen a broken down BKK Taxi on the way to the airport!!!

- If you are catching a flight don't save a couple of hundred baht and miss it...or even get killed.

- If you are going to BKK for the day and back, hire Mr Toom's driver for the day.They are based in BKK and can shuttle you anywhere you want.

I have always wondered this as well and have asked the question but never had any replies as why its more to Pattaya than returning.

In my experiences the retunring Taxi has been a better vehicle than the car I have been picked up in or the touts at the airports vehicle.

I have used Mr Toom and have been happy with his service but Toom uses a number of drivers and others here have reported mixed reviews on his service.

3 times I have paid the Taxi to return from Pattaya to Airport twice they were 10-15 minutes earlier than appointent time and once they were 10 minutes late.

I have never had a problem.

its weird that the prices are different each way.

i got a taxi from bkk to pats. nice new car, good aircon but the driver grunted and snorted a lot.

he didnt drive very fast ,, the highlight of the trip was being over taken by a madman in a bus in the left breakdown lane who had his wheels in the dirt. fucking amazing!

cost was about 1200bt but that didnt include me having to get my underwear cleaned!

pats to bkk (poomi). organised a taxi from guy on soi 8 that turned out to be an old bmw which was fine. 800bt

as a bonus i got to watch thai music dvd's.

there was quite a traffic jam and the driver took a 'local knowledge' shortcut around it.

i had developed a cough either from the hotel aircon or from sleeping too close to a crack :clap1

he decided to pull over at a 7-11.

no problem, we had plenty of time. to my surprise he emerged with a red-bull for himself and a bottle of water and some little brown pills for me.

he indicated to put 2 on my tongue and suck them.

10 mins later.... cough and hiccups gone! bonus points to Thailand!

i do hope he made it back to Pats alive so i can use him next trip.

Maybe because the prearranged pickup services charge more from BKK to Patts (because of the possibility of a flight delay) they figure everyone can charge more.

Anyone who has ever been tired and lost in a taxi with a driver who you have NO hope of communicating with will never again go budget. :clap1

Seconds quickly begin to feel like hours and you slowlyl slip into insanity. Not a nice way to start your trip.

Sailfast

Why pay 800 when you can take the bus ? :D

Convenience, familiarity with the service, friendship, or just the old up to you - many reasons.

I would agree with Picoman in that I have a regular service I use. I know everytime that they will be waiting for me when I arrive at the airport and will provide me with the best service possible to get to where I am going. I'm sure that when you are at home that you you don't take the cheapest means for everything you might do. You have certain places that you like to go and do things and cost is not an option because of that. :D