Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

building a house in Issam

In about a year I will be trying to build a home for my in-laws in Issam...I am curious as to the process of getting a good quality home built,,,nothing extravagant...but simple 2-3 bedroom with a kitchen and bath.

I do not intend to hand over "X" amount of money without seeing what is being done, I would hope I would be able to pay "as you go" so to speak. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

there was also a while ago a very good post on here about this subject, complete with pics etc, try a search and see what you can find.

if anyone can remember the post and find it please post a link

where abouts in Isaan?

I got a cheap house built some 15 years ago for my wife and I to live, I spent 4k for everything lived there for a few years but now basically the family live there,as I bought a house in U.K and gave up trying to stop them doing what they like to the house,and keeping it clean.etc...I might now look for condo nearer to farang area but not too close..a friend of a friend built it probably cost less than half the amount I paid back then but realise now it was "sin sod" although I was not aware of that at the time.

thanks so far for your input. please keep it coming as I need a S MUCH INFO AS POSSIBLE. iF THERE IS ANYONE OUT THERE who has already built a nice house and is pleased with the contractor...please let me know. There are so many horror stories dealing with contractors, I would love to be able to deal with someone 90% honest....thanks agin.

if you tell us where about you are thinking of building then a good local builder could do a good job for you at a fraction of the cost,....for instance I had a house built by "a friend of a friend" which was ok for 4k sterling I thought,at the time but later on I realised the builder was not a quality builder and I could have had a better house built for the same money by a different guy.In chaiyaphum my wifes friend has been working for the local big builder of quality housing but he can doo everything himself and he is not taking big percentages.

although personally I think as its a house for the family give them the money as if it is a house for a farang you could at least double the price.

whatever way you pay! :D

Guest Farty McFarland
In about a year I will be trying to build a home for my in-laws in Issam...I am curious as to the process of getting a good quality home built,,,nothing extravagant...but simple 2-3 bedroom with a kitchen and bath.

I do not intend to hand over "X" amount of money without seeing what is being done, I would hope I would be able to pay "as you go" so to speak. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Where is "Issam"? I have never heard of it before? <grin

Do you mean "Essahn" perhaps? :D

Guest Farty McFarland
BC, is there really a need to be an ass about helping someone out?

I had never heard of "Issam" before. Hell, for all I know, it really could be a place in Thailand that I have never heard about before?

If he does mean "Essahn", then I would say that he should not pay more than 500-600,000 baht all in. Depending on where it is located. The key factor is the price of the house is the land.

The house we built in Chonburi City cost around 2.5 million baht. Of that price, the materials and labor to build the house was 500,000 baht. I know, because we bought the land before we decided to build a house on it.

I would think that "Essahn" land would be much much cheaper as long as it is not in one of the bigger cities.

If you figure 1 million Baht as a starting point, as we will need details as to where you will build.

Let's say it's in the country {village}, then you need a well drilled, septic tank and a well pump with bladder to get water to the home. You will need a very good roof, as geting a cheap one will only cause you problems. Always nice to have AC, but many Thai women don't want it. Get damn good windows and they aren't as expensive as you think.

Be reasonable, as you can cut corners on some things and on others you need to spend more to get quality. I'd be your own contractor, to hell with someone else screwing it up for you.

I did a home 1 time and had the wife decide, it was a BIGGGG mistake, as I've had to re-do things.

Tile floors are cheap, I got a 10x10 rooms done for 6,000 Baht {each} and they look very nice. The windows cost about 6250 Baht each {installed}. I did the painting as all you have to do is seal it, before you paint it. It's not as hard as you think, just go for it...!

Well Joseph, I'll be a little hard on you but not to give you a hard time. Where do they live now? Are you planning to live there too? Why do you feel you have to build them a house? I would guess that they live in a Thai style house with a tin roof built on stilts. I would also guess that the wife wants to build a mansion. Am I right? If you answer the questions, I will try to give you advise.

Where is "Issam"? I have never heard of it before?

Do you mean "Essahn" perhaps? :nod

Where do you get the inappropriate astuteness that 'Essahn' would be the right notation?

There is no official spelling for Thai names or words in Latin grapheme. It could as well be 'Issam' or 'Isaan' or 'Isan' (which are all three more likely solutions than yours). If you ask me, a pretty 'farting'-presumptuous remark!

What makes you so frustrated that you find pleasure in putting other people down on (unjust) flea-bites? Even more so because after some contradiction you raise the gutless defense that you didn't grasp what he meant. While your post showes you understood all too well.

Some people !!! :bigsmile:

On topic! Joseph1, I think you should go the way Dee123 suggests. Give them the money you want to spend because if you interfere in the dealings with the contractor and the suppliers it will only cost more. Don't give them the money all at once though. Just give them what they need to pay the bills of the moment. You can supervise everything from the background.

I paid for building this small house (Living room, bathroom, 3 small bedroom) 80,000 Baht, materials and local contractor.

img0501djm7.jpg

img0501eek7.jpg

Edited by amphora

Where in Isaan? If the land is in the close proximity to the urban centres it would be a good idea to build, but if your wife wants you to invest money in the backwater, forget it. Tell your inlaws to go and look for homes that have been reppossesed by the banks or loan sharks. Happens every day in thailand, business go bad,gambling e.t.c. You should be able to pick house and land at the same price as just building a house. How many square metres do you want your house to be? The Isaans labourers wage is 150b. your material expense for a 100square house made out of fibro roof and block (standard design low set ) is about $10000 u.s. . good luck with your project :bigsmile:

Well we've discussed the different spelling's of Issan but no one has given the location. Issan is a region of Thailand (the northeast) and consist of around 18 provinces. Similiar to referring to the Midwest in the US. Thailand is often referred to by 5 regions. Thai north (Chang Mai, Change Rai, etc), the northeast (Korat, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, etc where many of the BG's come from), the eastern seaboard (Chonburi Trat, etc), centeral (Bangkok, etc)and Thai south ( where the shit happens).

Edited by Emil
Guest anto1

ManyPeople in Issan ,live in what we in the west would call a garden shed .Many could build a good shed and be the envy of their neighbours for 500,000 baht .

I paid for building this small house (Living room, bathroom, 3 small bedroom) 80,000 Baht, materials and local contractor.

img0501djm7.jpg

Hey Amphora,

What are the dimensions?? I am looking at building something similar for the in laws in the next year. We already have the land (2 wah) it is next door to on of my in laws. It has been looking like the cost will be about 400k baht. for something pretty similar but with a full size porch. Total width of the place will be about 8 meters by 10 meters with built in plumbing 2 water closets and electric. your place doesn't look much smaller and 80k seems low. we are about 50 clicks outside khorat, bricklayers get maybe 250 baht a day, his assistants get 150 baht a day.

so my question is how did you get it for 80k baht?

Seem to be everytime I try to get something done the price rises because I am farang with big money. Same applies to my wife and now even her family. Everyone for 100 clicks knows there are 3 farangs in the family. Anyone in the family asks about buying land and the price goes up.

I hate to sound like Big Chief but I think you mean 2 rai.. not 2 wah of land :bigsmile: Two talang (sq) wah is about 8sqm. Where exactly outside Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima)? My GF comes from a village about that distance from the city and wants to build on her land. I think it is just beyond Chok Chai..... good luck with it. Would appreciate an update!

I hate to sound like Big Chief but I think you mean 2 rai.. not 2 wah of land :a2m Two talang (sq) wah is about 8sqm. Where exactly outside Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima)? My GF comes from a village about that distance from the city and wants to build on her land. I think it is just beyond Chok Chai..... good luck with it. Would appreciate an update!

5555! I was also thinking, "what the fuck is he going to build them a linen closet to live in"? 5555!

2 rai is a good sized chunk of land. My house is built on 2.5 rai, and I got room to build 3 more houses there easy.

umm, where is Issam ?

sounds like someplace in a Muslim country to me

I think we have covered that already! :bigsmile: Big Headed Yobbo!

My wife has a house about 15km outside Udon Thani. She started to build before I asked her to come to the Uk, where we married. We are now back in Pattaya.

The house is 2 bed, bath and large lounge area. It is so large it is much bigger than the rest in the village. We have a problem selling it. No one can afford it. It is on about a quarter of a rai of land. The value of the house and land is about 400,000 baht. Ours is steel frame, concrete walls etc.

Land is not so expensive up there. So I would think they should get a good house with more land for 500,000 baht.

As said earlier, houses in the villages are small wooden structures with little space. So for the budget I suggest they would get a mansion in comparison.

My wife has a house about 15km outside Udon Thani. She started to build before I asked her to come to the Uk, where we married. We are now back in Pattaya.

The house is 2 bed, bath and large lounge area. It is so large it is much bigger than the rest in the village. We have a problem selling it. No one can afford it. It is on about a quarter of a rai of land. The value of the house and land is about 400,000 baht. Ours is steel frame, concrete walls etc.

Land is not so expensive up there. So I would think they should get a good house with more land for 500,000 baht.

As said earlier, houses in the villages are small wooden structures with little space. So for the budget I suggest they would get a mansion in comparison.

I you wouldn't mind, I would be interested in a little more information about the house you have for sale. I wouldn't mind owning a house in that area.

Drop me an e-mail at Nitram.Blf@hotmail.com

The price of the land will vary according to where you are. I bot 400 wah for 63000 baht in the village. Basic construction is always the same and there are many many people capable of doing it. You do need and electrician though so you don't get electrocuted.

Get a quote for the materials and a separate quote for the labour, usually the profit element is in the latter part. Better if you can negotiate a day rate for everyone and pay them as you go. As for materials, order small quantities and go to the builders merchants with them and pay yourself..

I think Joseph decided that he asked his question to a bunch of cynical assholes. Many of us have been here too long and seen too much. How many times have you heard a rookie say that "MY GIRL IS DIFFERENT"?