Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Hub,

It's pretty much the same size block from soi 6 up to the Royal Garden Shopping center. BTW the block I lived on in Southwest Philadelphia, Greenway Ave and surrounding area is about the same length as 2nd Rd to Beach Rd. I don't disagree with the traffic on 2nd Rd but if one is walking and most of us do walk, we all face the same traffic crossing the road.

BidD:

That's a reasonable response, with the exception that with some other hotels, you don't have to deal with crossing Second Road, or at least as bad as it is sometimes there by Skytop.

For example, the seaside guesthouse tom recommended - now those sois (2, 3, 4, etc) with some trees/partial sea views/etc. actually do feel they are just off the beach versus where the places on the wrong side of second road, and at comparable prices I feel they offer a better value without even considering other amenities.

I am a light sleeper and don't have as many big drinking nights, so many mornings wake up early and do emails when on vacation. It's nice to be at a hotel with a deck (like JohnnyK's example) or outside area near the water to go on-line. It's nice to feel you are actually at the beach, even if when at the pool like the flipper/etc. I don't think the location of Skytop and lack of pool offers any of that.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I've ever said it's a great place. What I have said it's a good value and it is. :wanker

21 days till wheels UP........................ :gulp :banana :bj2

:sosad :drunk No it aint. How can you look at the photos of the other three places and compare them to Skytop, and say Skytop s good value? :bj2 And you have picked the longest block in America to compare the walk to Beach Rd with, Spam-man.

Those photos of the reception areas are a great example of the differences in quality. I think BigD lives in the past and doesnt realize Pattaya has moved on.

I thought I heard Skytop mentioned on Pattaya One News, could be wrong as I was taking a piss in the bathroom. What I thouhgt I heard was that a falang from the UK was found dead in his room. If it was indeed Skytop I hope it wasn't one of our BMs.

I mentioned my room simply to compare 500 baht rooms.

I did say it wasn't big enough to play soccer in or go bowling, but I'm not there for the acreage and my exercise tends to be horizontal.

While I can't run laps around the room, I CAN sit on my balcony and have my morning coffee au naturel.

I can also stay home on a warm afternoon and read a book without feeling depressed after 8 minutes. I do like natural light.

I'm 1/2 way between 2nd road and buakhow which gives me great access anywhere I want to go.

Bottom line for me? I'm very happy at 500 baht for this room and the convivial, non-pushy bar with good food is a plus.

It's on Soi 3 ........ directly behind the Sabai Inn on Soi 2.

Perfect location for a morning jog to the Belgian Embassy and a pre-brekkie eye-opener. :bigsmile:

Edited by JohnnyK
Now thats funny :bigsmile:

Is that what you call "Top Shelf" liquors?

Because the TGs cleary aren't getting those without getting on that chair there. :D

Magpie may want to actually have some liquor in the bottles (many look empty) and maybe move the cleaning agent at the end; just a suggestion....

P1000775.jpg

Thought I'd seen it all, but seriously, a single bed? That bed is not big enough for one person, much less two.

Single bed, mismatched furniture, mismatched bedding and curtains, mis-sized curtains literally falling off the hooks, what look like cheap towels, dodgy wiring job by the ceiling, plug and utility strip in clear view by the tv, small bed with what looks like too small a comforter stole off a kid's bed, no phone, bars on the windows

- its like one of those video game puzzles where you have to circle all the out of whack items before time expires :bigsmile:

I mentioned my room simply to compare 500 baht rooms.

I did say it wasn't big enough to play soccer in or go bowling, but I'm not there for the acreage and my exercise tends to be horizontal.

While I can't run laps around the room, I CAN sit on my balcony and have my morning coffee au naturel.

I can also stay home on a warm afternoon and read a book without feeling depressed after 8 minutes. I do like natural light.

I'm 1/2 way between 2nd road and buakhow which gives me great access anywhere I want to go.

Bottom line for me? I'm very happy at 500 baht for this room and the convivial, non-pushy bar with good food is a plus.

Perfect location for a morning jog to the Belgian Embassy and a pre-brekkie eye-opener.

JohnnyK, that appears to be a great value for 500 baht and would be the type of room I would be looking for if I was on a budget. It reminded me of the majestic suites in bangkok - very small rooms but everything of good quality, all expected amenities, good location, at a very reasonable price.

Thanks,

Hub

P1000775.jpg

Thought I'd seen it all, but seriously, a single bed? That bed is not big enough for one person, much less two.

King size bed on the right side of the picture. Seems that tommie felt there was no need to post a photo of this as it might show Sky-Top in a good light.

Some guys want to nit pick whatever the owner does. He makes repairs it's not enough. Buys new mattresses for all the rooms it glossed over. No matter what he does CheshireTom and Hub want to put him out of business. Lame. :D

King size bed on the right side of the picture. Seems that tommie felt there was no need to post a photo of this as it might show Sky-Top in a good light.

I posted the two pics to show that the rooms at Seaside ..... "have decent quality bed linen and blackout curtains that actually cover the windows."

But since you insist I'll post the reverse pics of both rooms to "show Skytop in a good light". I'm nothing, if not fair. :D

Of course, you could always post a pic or two to show Skytop in a good light. Perhaps a photo of the back alley and rear entrance or the "in-house laundry"? :D

P1000752.jpg

P1000773copy.jpg

Edited by CheshireTom

Some guys want to nit pick whatever the owner does. He makes repairs it's not enough. Buys new mattresses for all the rooms it glossed over. No matter what he does CheshireTom and Hub want to put him out of business. Lame. :behead

Nonsense McDusa. You have painted a picture of a newly refurbed guesthouse and some BMs were stupid enough to believe you :gulp , I am one of those gullable BMs.

Glossing over the exciting news about matresses :party BigD comes out with another classic. A new matress doesnt make up for poor lighting, wiring, money up front policy, comedy curtains etc. Hes had two years of critisism on the board and so far, has only replaced the matresses B) have the safes been bolted down yet?

Be honest Denny, its an internet cafe with some rooms above it and compares poorly at its price. Why not offer an FLB board discount and offer them at half price. Then you could start to justify your statement of " good value". If he does the place up a bit :gulp

Nonsense McDusa. You have painted a picture of a newly refurbed guesthouse and some BMs were stupid enough to believe you :party , I am one of those gullable BMs.

Glossing over the exciting news about matresses B) BigD comes out with another classic. A new matress doesnt make up for poor lighting, wiring, money up front policy, comedy curtains etc. Hes had two years of critisism on the board and so far, has only replaced the matresses :behead have the safes been bolted down yet?

Be honest Denny, its an internet cafe with some rooms above it and compares poorly at its price. Why not offer an FLB board discount and offer them at half price. Then you could start to justify your statement of " good value". If he does the place up a bit :gulp

I truly am sorry it didn't meet your expectations and since we stayed there at the same time why didn't you come up and say something to me but you didn't. Now your on the internet crying the blues that it was damn near the most traumatic experience in your life. Your living up to your handle. Get over it.

I don't own Sky-Top nor am I partner so I don't offer discounts. What I do offer, it's good value for the money.

tommie,

Seaside offers a small bed where Sky-Top offers a king size bed. Sky-top has decent linen and why didn't you show the in house laundry with the two washing machines. Your just being a silly nit picker. Lame.

Edited by BigDUSA
Some guys want to nit pick whatever the owner does. He makes repairs it's not enough. Buys new mattresses for all the rooms it glossed over. No matter what he does CheshireTom and Hub want to put him out of business. Lame. :allright

Denny:

With all due respect, the owner of a hotel SHOULD make needed repairs and have newish matresses in his rooms. He doesn't get any medals for that.

It's like the Chris Rock sketch "I raise my baby". Well, you are supposed to, FFS. :D

I don't think things like:

Lack of proper separation between bathroom and living area;

Poor room lighting;

High noise levels at night;

Suspect fire safety;

Poor location requiring frightening crossing Second Road;

Lack of phones;

mismatched furniture;

Mis-sized curtains literally falling off the hooks;

Unsafe wiring;

Bars on the windows;

Poor security;

no room service;

ridiculous and heavy handed "Legl" contracts;

to name a few, are hardly "nit picking".

I have no desire to see your buddy go out of business. What I do desire is that fellow BMs here do recognize that no matter how many times you say it, IT IS NOT A GOOD VALUE FOR THE MONEY.

I don't think the skytop will go out of business. It doesn't look like he invests very much capital in the place. He will still get his people via them not knowing better and reading counterfiet posts by magpie/Pete himself on the internet recommending the place. I just hope it isn't any unsuspecting BMs.

...plus non aircon for B400 and yes is popular for the budget minded or the tourist who sees a room as just somewhere to sleep. all rooms have new mattresses

...and I suppose you have running water as well?

No wonder the place is referred to as 'Sky-slops'.

tommie,

Seaside offers a small bed where Sky-Top offers a king size bed. Sky-top has decent linen and why didn't you show the in house laundry with the two washing machines. Your just being a silly nit picker. Lame.

The beds in Seaside and Skytop are the same size ...... they are "Queen" size beds, not King size as you oft claim. The bed linen in Skytop is cheap and of the type you'd purchase in the BigC discount section whereas the bed linen at Seaside is of good quality and professionally laundered. The same can be said for the towels.

Have you been to the Seaside? I remember you said you were going to visit and get some pics.

Edited by CheshireTom
I thought I heard Skytop mentioned on Pattaya One News, could be wrong as I was taking a piss in the bathroom. What I thouhgt I heard was that a falang from the UK was found dead in his room. If it was indeed Skytop I hope it wasn't one of our BMs.

Chances of that are ZERO as Dusa isn't in Pattaya at this time! :allright :allright :allright

Not my business what anyone choose for himself or what level of comfort one wants when going on a holiday. Can just put my own opinion here and I think these rooms look absolutely a "scare". Ok - I can afford higher standard and could be told that for some folks money is a big issue. But this? In order to save money? The shoebox for 500 B or the Skytop room that really look like a dump?

Your choice gentlemen - but sometimes I just dont understand the priority. I mean - for around 1500 B you can find a quite decent place and why not go for that and give yourself a bit "more"?! In the range up to 2500 B I would say there are many very comfortable places. And upwards there is of course no limit almost. But if you take 1500 B on an average and transform that to what it would cost you back home - I guess it is a very good deal.

Another thing I dont quite understand is why not a landlord cares more about his place. The sagging skytop room could quite easily be made into looking if not perfect - at least better. It is not a big buck thing to fix curtains, wiring etc. But as I have seen so many times in Thailand: all these fellas who want to run "a business" of some sort and really dont have a clue.

Well - but if people are happy living and paying whatever for a place like that so be it. I would never ever even go near it!

I truly am sorry it didn't meet your expectations and since we stayed there at the same time why didn't you come up and say something to me but you didn't. Now your on the internet crying the blues that it was damn near the most traumatic experience in your life. Your living up to your handle. Get over it.

I don't own Sky-Top nor am I partner so I don't offer discounts. What I do offer, it's good value for the money.

tommie,

Thanks, youd said that before. Forget about it. Its in the past and I bear no ill will to you. I only mention it again when you tell the same guff that made me book it. I never even mentioned it online. Then someone ( was maybe BM Win) mentioned it , and I still didnt mention it. I did eventually when you started your nonsense again :allright I think its clear to everyone that the photos show a pretty poor standard of guesthouse that hasnt been refurbed. I am puzzled as to why you continue to promote it when its never had a satisfied BM customer.

I thought you were the guy with the beard with the noodles in it. :allright Wasnt totally sure at first. But Skytop was beyond complaining about. I knew Pete wouldnt rewire it, paint it, renew the curtains and put in new lights and 24 hour security, just by me asking. Thats just being silly McDusa :allright

Not my business what anyone choose for himself or what level of comfort one wants when going on a holiday. Can just put my own opinion here and I think these rooms look absolutely a "scare". Ok - I can afford higher standard and could be told that for some folks money is a big issue. But this? In order to save money? The shoebox for 500 B or the Skytop room that really look like a dump?

Your choice gentlemen - but sometimes I just dont understand the priority. I mean - for around 1500 B you can find a quite decent place and why not go for that and give yourself a bit "more"?! In the range up to 2500 B I would say there are many very comfortable places. And upwards there is of course no limit almost. But if you take 1500 B on an average and transform that to what it would cost you back home - I guess it is a very good deal.

Another thing I dont quite understand is why not a landlord cares more about his place. The sagging skytop room could quite easily be made into looking if not perfect - at least better. It is not a big buck thing to fix curtains, wiring etc. But as I have seen so many times in Thailand: all these fellas who want to run "a business" of some sort and really dont have a clue.

Well - but if people are happy living and paying whatever for a place like that so be it. I would never ever even go near it!

I'm the first one to agree that at the 1500 price point Sky-Top wouldn't cut it and I wouldn't recommend it. At it's current price point 850 for the largest room and this room is featured in CheshireToms pics and this is the room I stay in. For me it good value for the price. I'm willing to make some allowances as far as mismatched furniture and thin curtains, etc. I'm there for three weeks not the rest of my life. I have to laugh that guys with very high standards expect a cheap guesthouse to perform like a much more expensive Hilton.

I have to laugh that guys with very high standards expect a cheap guesthouse to perform like a much more expensive Hilton.

Denny:

If it is good value for you, all well and good. It is obvious you are not going to change your viewpoint.

But, one only has to look at the comparison photos to the the VAST world of difference between Skytops and Seaside for a room that costs 850 baht. IMO, Mulphy's Rockhouse is a better value too at the same price, if one wanted to be on that side of 2nd Rd. Again, compare the pictures of the rooms.

And, neither of those places force you to sign a "legl contract" to stay at their facility.

It is also my opinion that you are doing a disservice to FLB board members, especially Newbies, to constantly recommend Skytops.

I'm the first one to agree that at the 1500 price point Sky-Top wouldn't cut it and I wouldn't recommend it. At it's current price point 850 for the largest room and this room is featured in CheshireToms pics and this is the room I stay in. For me it good value for the price. I'm willing to make some allowances as far as mismatched furniture and thin curtains, etc. I'm there for three weeks not the rest of my life. I have to laugh that guys with very high standards expect a cheap guesthouse to perform like a much more expensive Hilton.

:lovee :wtf We are not comparing Skytop to the friggin Hilton. We are comparing it to guesthouses and hotels at the same price or usually cheaper than Skytop. And as the photos show, Skytop doesnt compare well in any way.

Denny:

If it is good value for you, all well and good. It is obvious you are not going to change your viewpoint.

But, one only has to look at the comparison photos to the the VAST world of difference between Skytops and Seaside for a room that costs 850 baht. IMO, Mulphy's Rockhouse is a better value too at the same price, if one wanted to be on that side of 2nd Rd. Again, compare the pictures of the rooms.

And, neither of those places force you to sign a "legl contract" to stay at their facility.

It is also my opinion that you are doing a disservice to FLB board members, especially Newbies, to constantly recommend Skytops.

Sky-top no longer asks for all the money up front. I never said that Sky-Top is the best value in Pattaya. What I have said it's good value for the money. It's clean, in room safe, free wired in room internet, fridge, AC and cable TV and a great location on 2nd Rd one block from Beach Rd and spitting distance from Soi 6. Add in room service once you call a local restaurant and they deliver to your door and what more could one ask for. :unsure:

Guys on this forum have plenty of choices about where to stay. Sky-Top is but one of them and given the repeat business Sky-Top has other guys besides myself feel it fits their needs. It's not a disservice to recommend Sky-Top to BM as you may have noticed not one person including the guys who didn't like Sky-Top have said the maid ripped them off or their laundry was lost/ torn or the staff gave them a hard time. Let's keep it real it's a $14USD to $25USD a night place to stay. No it doesn't have matched teak furniture nor does it have 500 count Egyptian spun cotton sheets but it does offer good value for the money.

Sky-top no longer asks for all the money up front. I never said that Sky-Top is the best value in Pattaya. What I have said it's good value for the money.

No it doesn't have matched teak furniture nor does it have 500 count Egyptian spun cotton sheets but it does offer good value for the money.

BigDUSA: I guess you will just keep repeating this until the cows come home; however, with all due respect, the fact is that is isn't a good value for pattaya. It's been extensively documented in this and other threads, including many photos.

Let's keep it real it's a $14USD to $25USD a night place to stay.

You keep repeating this, but the fact is that we are not talking about dollars and the USA here, we are discussing baht and Thailand.

I am pretty sure you would be the first one to disagree with a punter who argued that $100 (3,500 baht) for good looking gogo and BGs represents a good value because you would have to pay $400-$500 for the same girl in the USA

BigD:

For those unfamiliar with that part of Pattaya, "one block from the beach" may be a little misleading, as those streets connecting Beach Road and Second Road are longer than normal for a US city block (more of a long rectangle than a block). Not to mention you have to battle across Second Road, with all it's trucks and buses belching exxhaust. That part of Pattaya doesn't have a very "beachy" feel IMO, more of a city feel.

There can be a lot of feely feely as you walk down soi 6 to the beach....or soi 6/1 depending on your 'bent'.