Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

nationwide cash card?

i have opened a nationwide cash cash card account.

this card ONLY allows me to draw cash from cash machines.

i have never used the card before, and i am a little worried i may have problems with it.

have any of you guys had any problems using this card in thailand?

the card has no chip in it. i just phoned the nationwide up to let them know i would be using it in thailand. they told me they cant put a flag on it because there are so many people using the cards abroad, they would have to do that for all of them :allright

I have used it in Thailand no problem at all.

If you have a flex account card (blue one) which I think you must have if you have the cash only card, use this one as you get slightly better exchange rates. Something to do with visa and cirrus rates.

Remember that there is now 150 baht charge for using it in a Thai ATM machine.

Best Regards

Fireman Sam

I used mu Nationwide flex account debit card with no problems

:D :ang2 :ang2 :ang2 :ang2 :ang2 :ang2 :ang2 :ang2 :ang2

But as of the 1st June the buggers will be charging to take out your cash abroad so 150bht + there fee = Ouch per transaction

I have used it in Thailand no problem at all.

If you have a flex account card (blue one) which I think you must have if you have the cash only card, use this one as you get slightly better exchange rates. Something to do with visa and cirrus rates.

Remember that there is now 150 baht charge for using it in a Thai ATM machine.

Best Regards

Fireman Sam

dont think i have a flexi card, it is purple in colour, and just says cash card in the left hand corner, can only be used for withdrawing cash, cant buy anything from the shops with it.

they told me today, there will be no charge for using this card. only the visa cards will be charging after june 1st.

dont think i have a flexi card, it is purple in colour, and just says cash card in the left hand corner, can only be used for withdrawing cash, cant buy anything from the shops with it.

they told me today, there will be no charge for using this card. only the visa cards will be charging after june 1st.

hi mate

not true i have the same card as you used the card last month with no problems

but there is a charge of 150 baht from the thai banks not from uk banks

hi mate

not true i have the same card as you used the card last month with no problems

but there is a charge of 150 baht from the thai banks not from uk banks

HI bigone,

thanks for the reply, can you tell me the maximum amount i can withdraw from the ATM in one go please?

I have both cards, the cash card was used yesterday the 28th may, all the Thai banks in Nakhon Phanom were charging 150 baht for using it.

thanks for the reply, can you tell me the maximum amount i can withdraw from the ATM in one go please?

You can withdraw £300.00 UK everyday, just multiply the baht rate to get equivalent baht.

dont think i have a flexi card, it is purple in colour, and just says cash card in the left hand corner,

I thought you had to have a flex account to get the cash only card, well learn something new everyday. :nod :D

Best Regards

Fireman Sam

HI bigone,

10000 baht no problems did not try any higher

I have both cards, the cash card was used yesterday the 28th may, all the Thai banks in Nakhon Phanom were charging 150 baht for using it.

You can withdraw £300.00 UK everyday, just multiply the baht rate to get equivalent baht.

I thought you had to have a flex account to get the cash only card, well learn something new everyday. :nod :D

Best Regards

Fireman Sam

10000 baht no problems did not try any higher

thanks guys :D

I read on another forum that GSB (Government Savings Bank) is still not charging the 150 baht.

They stated that it is because they are not members of the Thai Banking Association.

All I need now is to know where the GSB branches are in Pattaya.

I dont know anything specific about that card............but I thought I might share my opinion and experience......I recommend several platforms

for spending money, ie: Travelers Cheques, Credit card, debit card, and good old Cash!..........just in case you have some oddball problem

with a card, best to have enough availble spending money for your trip on multiple platforms..........Have great trip! :unsure:

P.S. often with travelers cheques they do not give you an immediate refund, especially if you have had prior losses, so always

treat TC's as if they are cash(this is also usually stated on the agreement when you purchase TC's)

There was a good article in the Express today (smart travel:holiday money) concerning the pros & cons of different cards etc.

They mentioned Abbey were bringing back their Abbey Zero card which doesn't levy a cash advance fee or forex fee.

They added :

"Despite introducing a 0.84 % fee on overseas use from June (outside Europe) rising to 1.0% in July

the Nationwide debit card is still the most competitive on the market even if you only use it for holiday money"

rogero :rolleyes:

Most of the Nationwide cash cards on a new account will have a limit of £200 on them which means you are pretty safe doing the 10k baht per withdrawal per day.

The Cash casrd as opposed to the debit and credit cards work on Cirrus instead of Visa/Mastercard. Cirrus whilst being a part of Mastercard does not levy the 1% fee from the UK. However the exchange rate is nominally worse and you will still get a 150 baht charge per withdrawal.

GSB (Government savings bank) is outside of the group charging this fee so is free to use but not many about.

Bank of Ayudhya is currently upgrading their machines so whilst they advise of a 150 charge they may not YET actually charge you the fee.

Some of the Kasikorn banks ATM's have not yet started charging either apparently but they are further ahead of the upgrade than Ayudhya.

My advise would be to take high denomination TC's (£200-£500 per TC )if you are staying in Pattaya and keep the card as a back up. There are literally stacks of exchange booths and banks in Pattaya and you will have no problem exchanging them. Charge to cash a TC is 30 baht + 3 baht tax. They give you a decent rate and are relatively safe as you can get them replaced if lost or stolen.

I have found a way of getting round the charge and have tried it out at most of the large Thai banks over the last week with total success. The only hassle to the thing is as well as your Nationwide flex account ATM card you need your passport.

Simply go into any bank or exchange booth and ask to withdraw your amount using the card over the counter. They ask to copy your passport the same as TT and then you can withdraw up to 20000 baht from most of them in an instant. If you need any more simply walk 10 metres to the next exchange and repeat the process.

You get the same great exchange rate as normal and you are not charged the 150 baht per transaction.

I have found a way of getting round the charge and have tried it out at most of the large Thai banks over the last week with total success. The only hassle to the thing is as well as your Nationwide flex account ATM card you need your passport.

Simply go into any bank or exchange booth and ask to withdraw your amount using the card over the counter. They ask to copy your passport the same as TT and then you can withdraw up to 20000 baht from most of them in an instant. If you need any more simply walk 10 metres to the next exchange and repeat the process.

You get the same great exchange rate as normal and you are not charged the 150 baht per transaction.

not a bad idea is that mate, i will give it a go, gets me a few more beers eh? :D

me too
Just used a UOB ATM and there didn't appear to be a charge. There is one in TOPS.

On another thread the poster advised that when you use the over-the-counter withdrawal with your passport in support this is not an ATM withdrawal (thus no 150 baht transaction fee applicable) but the 20,000 limit DOES NOT APPLY - even if the bank counter staff tell you it does. The poster asked them to swipe the card for about £500 and it did pay...as long as the money is in your account there is apparently no limit on the withdrawal....don't know if that is right but will try it when there